Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #931
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Morgan Stanley is Signaling "June Gloom."

A Morgan Stanley reading on the economy collapses by the most ever

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...cid=spartanntp

Morgan Stanley's Business Conditions Index, which captures turning points in the economy, fell by 32 points in June, to a level of 13 from a level of 45 in May. This drop is the largest one-month decline on record and the lowest level since December 2008 during the financial crisis, according to the firm.

"The decline shows a sharp deterioration in sentiment this month that was broad-based across sectors,' economist Ellen Zentner said in a note to clients. "Fundamental indicators point to a broad softening of activity, but analysts did not widely attribute the weakening to trade policy."

Fears of a possible economic slowdown were raised last week after a much worse than expected jobs report. The economy added just 75,000 jobs in May, according to the Labor Department last Friday. A report on Thursday showed a spike in jobless claims last week. Manufacturing activity last month grew at the slowest pace in two years.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #932
Half Smoke

if you tried to list all of the wrong market predictions from supposedly wise, knowledgeable sources, since the value of the Dow was first published in 1896 -

well, by the time you got to the year 1980 you would be very, very tired

you might give up or you might continue on and start listing a few thousand more

it's kind of like the "experts" on ESPN and elsewhere who talk about the NFL
some of them are very insightful - I'm not denying that

they're great at telling you what happened yesterday

but they can't tell you what will happen tomorrow

Last edited by Half Smoke; 06-14-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #933
AltonKelsey
Veteran

I'm sticking with the less well known SFOR index. It's about to go below the major level of .002 . If it can hold there, very bullish for the overall market
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #934
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
I'm sticking with the less well known SFOR index. It's about to go below the major level of .002 . If it can hold there, very bullish for the overall market
Obsess much?
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #935
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Obsess much?

Only about "the best stock in the world " Damn Straight!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #936
reckless
Veteran

Like to make money?

Over the years I've recommended individual stocks since that's my main game.

I have recommended on here in prior posts two companies that I said were very undervalued and great long-term holdings, Fidelity National Finance and Stewart Title Insurance. Both are in the title insurance and real estate processing business. (A wonderfully great and 'safe' business to be in, with near zero risk which produce piles of cash and earnings compounding at great rates.)

So, who wants to make about 20 per cent return in about 4-5 weeks or less??

ASAP buy Stewart Title, symbol STC.

It sells for $41.50 or so as I type this and Fidelity (FNF) has a take-over price of about $50, a deal set to close in less than a month. There's cash and stock involved so some may not want to play along being short-term oriented and options traders.

You should because FNF is getting STC at a discount to intrinsic value and is one of the 1-2 largest title insurance players in the country.

Good luck.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #937
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post

I have recommended on here in prior posts two companies that I said were very undervalued and great long-term holdings, Fidelity National Finance and Stewart Title Insurance. Both are in the title insurance and real estate processing business. (A wonderfully great and 'safe' business to be in, with near zero risk which produce piles of cash and earnings compounding at great rates.)

It sells for $41.50 or so as I type this and Fidelity (FNF) has a take-over price of about $50, a deal set to close in less than a month. There's cash and stock involved so some may not want to play along being short-term oriented and options traders.

You should because FNF is getting STC at a discount to intrinsic value and is one of the 1-2 largest title insurance players in the country.

Good luck.
The deal could close as late as mid-Sept (see 8k from a week or so ago). There was also a second request from the FTC on the deal. Given the second request, there's a chance the combined companies could be forced to divest parts of the biz, which would result a downward adjustment to the purchase price (see proxy docs). It probably all works out, but if it were as riskless as you've outlined, the arbs would not allow such a wide gap, imo.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #938
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Obsess much?
Nah, just another board dick...or is it bored dick? Not sure.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #939
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
The deal could close as late as mid-Sept (see 8k from a week or so ago). There was also a second request from the FTC on the deal. Given the second request, there's a chance the combined companies could be forced to divest parts of the biz, which would result a downward adjustment to the purchase price (see proxy docs). It probably all works out, but if it were as riskless as you've outlined, the arbs would not allow such a wide gap, imo.
Thanks Mike for the update. I kept mum on this ever since the deal was first announced. I knew some states have tried to put roadblocks up but I thought that was just about over.

When I saw that there was a 'quick' 20 percent to be made, I thought I'd share that with my friends on PA.

I cannot believe there will be much divestiture of either company because the industry and these companies are quite small.

The arbs are way smarter than I am but then I have had nearly 20 companies I've owned over the years that were taken over. I'll concede them their brains but that's about it.

I've held stock in both companies for ages, so I don't care how it eventually plays out in a way. I'm keeping the stock forever and ever...
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #940
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Nah, just another board dick...or is it bored dick? Not sure.

And I always speak so highly of YOU

upload

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 06-19-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:57 AM   #941
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

So the FED says no rate change up or down today.....Interesting.

Look WTF just happened to GOLD $1385, 6 year high.....Concerning.

Fed funds at 2.37, while the 10 year yield drops to 1.97!.....Inversion worsen rapidly.

Doesn't this look like the same script Ben Bernanke was following right before it all imploded?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2019, 02:27 AM   #942
plainolebill

Seems like there's a lot of moving parts here, Draghi and the Euro banks may be a much bigger problem than the US. When Powell said no rate cut - I'm thinking a lot of cash flowed from Europe to the 10 year and quite probably gold.

Last edited by plainolebill; 06-20-2019 at 02:28 AM.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #943
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post

Good luck.
The top 4 title insurance players hold about 85% share, which probably explains why it's such an attractive biz. If FNF and STC merge, I believe their share would total around 45% That may be giving the FTC pause. I assume the FTC second review is focused on regional market share concentration issues (if the number is 45% overall, I suspect there are markets well north of that). Regardless, even with divestitures, the combined entities would represent an attractive biz, imo.

Your merger stats remind me of a Bloomberg article from last year. In rough terms, there were 7,500 public companies (ex OTC/pink sheets) in 1995. That number now stands around 4,000. Tons of M&A and fewer IPOs vs. pre-2000.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #944
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
And I always speak so highly of YOU
You have to admit, you've been king asshole regarding this topic.

I've pointed it out nicely a few times in the past, but now we're up to attempt #135 to beat this dead horse...thus...you get more colorful responses from me each and every time.

Not too hard to figure out.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #945
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainolebill View Post
Seems like there's a lot of moving parts here, Draghi and the Euro banks may be a much bigger problem than the US. When Powell said no rate cut - I'm thinking a lot of cash flowed from Europe to the 10 year and quite probably gold.
The Euro has actually strengthened since yesterday morning, especially post Fed announcement.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: