Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 05-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Thursday, May 23

Race One:

"2-4-6-8…Who Do We Appreciate?" Those, in my opinion, are “the numbers” in today’s 3 p.m. lid-lifter at Belmont.

KIAWAH SUNSET is an Uncle Mo-bred (think In Excess -Ire) who should take to the Belmont “lawn” at first-asking. Wesley Ward, the Washington state-born-jockey turned trainer, has excellent numbers when it comes to first-time starters. This Storm Cat-bred filly has turned in an array of solid morning works leading up to her “coming-out” party. This filly’s broodmare, Celebrity Cat, produced 2 winners, one stakes, and 2 turf winners from 3 starters. This filly’s pilot is one of the nation’s best, caliente como un petardo (hot as a firecracker), Irad Ortiz, Jr.

DAYS OF SPRING gets my “mulligan” off her 4th place finish in a similar race. This Uncle Mo-bred’s trainer, Todd Pletcher, is adding blinkers (Pletcher does reasonably well when adding “rogue’s badge”). This filly’s jockey is Manny Franco from Carolina, Puerto Rico (“Tierra de Gigantes”). I should note that “Big D’s” Pletcher does very well with horses entered in their 2nd career race.

LADY FATIMA is the second of the two Mark Casse’s entrants (Congratulations to Mark on War of Will’s win in The Preakness). This Bodemeister-bred didn’t get the best of trips in a dirt race a little over one month ago. This grey filly finished 4th at 5-1. Anyway, the turf pedigree is there. Although I should mention that Mark Casse is only 11% w/1st race on the grass.

Finally, last but not least, there’s MAIN SQUEEZE. She is the second of Wesley Ward’s two entrants. This chestnut filly is Speightstown-bred. There is a solid turf pedigree, especially “on top”. The broodmare, Love in Paris, had 3 winners from 3 starters, yet none on the turf. This filly’s morning work-tab has been good. Ward does very well with horses making their turf debut. I should note that Country Day-bred horses do very well as first-time turf starters. Johnny V., the Hall-of-Famer, is in the irons.

I'll be back later in the week with my other selections on Thursday's Belmont card.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
Teach

Race Two:

MARY’S GIRL gets my tepid nod in a 40k state-bred claiming sprint that’s filled with more handicapping twists and turns than an Agatha Christie mystery novel. This 6-panels sprint appears to set up for a closer. The aforementioned Shanghai Bobby-bred filly looks like the prime candidate to catch the tiring speed. Reylu Gutierrez will need to have his charge closer to the pack if he is to mount a winning stretch-drive. Richard Schosberg, who trains and part-owns this Harlan’s Holiday-bred, is adding blinkers. Sometimes, an equipment change can make all the difference in the world. In closing, I should add a cautionary note that this 3-year old has won only one race in eight tries, that coming at 5 and ˝ panels. However, in a race where there are a-whole-lot of imponderables, I believe this filly has as good a chance of any of getting her picture taken. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 05-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
Teach

Race Three:

FORBIDDEN FROLIC comes into this maiden-claiming 30k sprint with just one race under her belt, a 40k maiden-special sprint on the lawn at Laurel (she bore in while finishing 6th). I’ll give this Verrazano-bred bay filly a “mulligan” off her first pari-mutuel try. At this juncture, I fully admit that one of my prime handicapping considerations is the turf-to-dirt angle. I believe this filly is capable of improving markedly off that dismal first-race effort. This filly’s trainer is one of NYRA’s finest, the pride of Racine, WI, Linda Rice. Rice does very well both w/horses making their 2nd career start and when adding blinkers. Rice’s training numbers are consistently among the tops on the NYRA circuit. Jose Ortiz (I can’t believe he’s had only one win in 37 tries) has his feet in the stirrups. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 05-22-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
Teach

Race Four:

In this turf route, I’m opting for the entry: FINANCIAL SYSTEM and UNLEVERAGED. This Chad Brown duo looks formidable. Financial System, a 5-year old Twirling Candy-bred gelding, flattened out in the stretch in a 10-panels grass marathon about one month ago. Today’s one-mile and a “teenth” cut-back distance should enhance this Candy Ride-bred’s chances of gracing the winner’s circle. Today's race is this lightly-raced gelding’s 2nd start off a layoff; it’s an angle I give credence to. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. The other half of the entry is also “a player": Unleveraged. This Scat Daddy-bred colt has hit the tote in both his grass tries. This colt broke his maiden in his last and now moves up to face winners. Yet, in his current form, that does not appear to be a problem. The Panamanian-born jinete, Jose Lezcano, reprises the ride. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 05-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
Teach

Race Five:

We’re back on the main at 6 and ˝ panels. BRONXVILLE is both “dropping down” and “cutting back.” That can be a prescription for victory. In addition, this 3-year old gelding picks up the chauffeuring services of one of NYRA’s finest, Manny Franco. This gelding’s trainer, Ray Handal, does very well both with horses entered in dirt races and those going from routes to sprints. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #6
Teach

Race Six:

We’re back “on the lawn” in an allowance route. I do declare that this mile-and-a-“teenth” race is one that is most perplexing and challenging to the equine thoroughbred handicapper. Yet, after much perusal and scrutiny, I’ve landed on: ALL GO. This Mike Maker-trainee is both “dropping” and “cutting back”. It’s also this Danzig-bred gelding’s 2nd start off a layoff. I believe that the “Louisiana Kid” from Cajun (a “corruption of the word “Acadian”) Country, Kendrick Carmouche, if given the chance, can put this field “to sleep”. Yes, I see Carmouche urging this Hard Spun-bred to the front. He’ll then play “catch-me-if-you-can” as he rations out this gelding’s speed and endurance. If all goes “According to Hoyle,” this Seeking the Gold-bred can have his picture taken in the winner’s circle. I should note that Mike Maker has a solid record with horses making their 2nd start off a layoff. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 05-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Teach

Race Seven:

TO A FRIEND get my nod in this 11-panels turf route on The Inner. This Jonathan Thomas trainee was a closing wide in her only start at GP back in mid-April. I believe that this bay filly may have more to offer in her second career start. Yes, she was beaten by weaker; yet I believe she’s capable of springing the upset. The pride of Carolina, Puerto Rico, Manny Franco, is in the irons. This Scat Daddy-bred's trainer, the aforementioned Jonathan Thomas, does very well both with turf starters and horses making their 2nd career start. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 05-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #8
Teach

Race Eight:

By this time, it may well be raining in the New York City-area. I like EXPERT; yet, I believe this 4-year old bay colt moves up on a wet track. This Point Given-bred has reeled off four straight wins. I see no reason that this Linda Rice-trainee can’t make it 5-in-a-row. Linda does exceptionally well with horses that are stretching out. She also gets high marks with horses who were winners of their last race. Rajiv Maragh is in the irons. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 05-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
Teach

Race Nine:

As cited, rain is expected in the NYC-area early Thursday evening. If those showers do develop, this turf race could be run on the main. Then again, if the rain holds off, the race will be run on the turf. I've made two picks: one in the eventuality that the race comes off the turf; the other, that it stays on the grass.

Off the Turf:

If the race comes off the turf, I’m leaning toward the entry, YOU TELL ME and CAUSE I’M ALEX, the Jeremiah Englehart combo. I’m particularly enamored with Cause I’m Alex. I believe this Afleet Alex-bred is much more attuned to a wet main track than the Belmont turf course. Dylan Davis is listed.

On the Turf:

My on-the-turf choice is MOBRIDGE. This 9-year old chestnut gelding ships in from FG where he finished up the track in his last after a slow start. Prior to that, this A.P. Indy-bred won a turf race in allowance company. This gelding’s trainer, Danny Gargan, does well both with horses that have been on the shelf and those who compete in claiming races. This gelding appears to have a particular affinity for Belmont Park. Junior Alvarado is in the irons.

"David and Lisa" (1962)