Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 06-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Thursday, June 13

Race One:

AIR ON FIRE (You also get the BOURBON DID IT) would appear to be the “stick-out” here. Yet, I ask: “Why the precipitous drop?” And to think his connections paid 350k for him at Fasig-Tipton a few years back. Even the DRF is calling his slide down the claiming ladder, “suspicious”. Last time this gelding raced on a muddy track, he went off at .05 on the dollar. By the way, he did not disappoint. You’ll have to be “well-heeled” to bet him flat. Does the word “bridge-jumper” now enter my soliloquy? You can add to the equation the riding services of Irad Ortiz, Jr. and training skills of the pride of Charles Town, WV (John Brown was tried and hanged there), Jason Servis. Personally, I would be mighty surprised if this Unbridled’s Song-bred didn’t romp. It’s just that the average “punter” doesn’t have enough “lucci” to flat-bet him. Others: QUEST FOR FIRE; REMSTIN; GREAT GOING.

I'll be back later with my other selections on today's Belmont card.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Teach

Race Two:

BANGLE GIRL (an MTO) bobbled against much better in home-bred, non-graded stakes company two races back on a sloppy track; she finished 3rd. I’m assuming that with a “slug of moisture” destined for Elmont, NY, today, that the races will be taken off the turf and run on the main. That moves my choice up. My selections are predicated on the assumption that the turf races will be run on the dirt. This Emcee-bred’s pilot is the pride of Carolina, Puerto Rico, Manny Franco. Mike Stidham trains. Others: HAPPY SOPHIA (MTO); LADY MACHO (MTO); STERLING BEAUTY.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 06-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Teach

Race Three:

MO SOUL appears to be yet another “stick-out”. Although you can’t see me (just as well, unless you like staring at 76-year old, overweight, balding men), I’m salivating (classical conditioning) like one of those Pavlovian dogs when Ivan rang the bell. This Forest Wildcat-bred relishes the wet going. He takes to it like a duck takes to water. And, he has the services of the “Louisiana Kid,” “The Man from Zydeco Country,” Kendrick Carmouche. This 5-year old has faced better. The only “fly in the ointment” is the fact that he will likely go off at 3/5. Rob Atras – he continues his winning ways at Belmont – is this gelding’s trainer. Others: PROFESSOR SNAPE; TOOHOTTOEVENSPEAK; T LOVES A FIGHT.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 06-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
Teach

Race Four:

SOPHIA REI, a first-time starter out of Kiaran McLaughlin’s barn, gets my tepid nod in this turf route that I believe will now be run on the main. The wet-track pedigree is there. This Curlin-bred had a recent “bullet” 4-panels work. This filly’s pilot is Dylan Davis. Davis does some of his riding on wet tracks. I suppose the only proverbial “fly in the ointment” is how will this first-timer perform in his very first pari-mutuel start? It should be noted that Kiaran McLaughlin is just 7% with first-time starters. Others: CHARREADA; PASSIVE INVESTING; LA VIDA/ ELITE MOM.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 06-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
Teach

Race Five:

SHARPIN is my choice in this n2L claiming sprint. This 3-year old bay filly won in this company at Keeneland nearly two months ago. Although she’s never raced on a wet track, she appears to have the pedigree to do well on a wet surface. This Awesome Again-bred has hit the tote in 5 out of 6 lifetime tries. Joe-el Rosario reprises the ride for trainer Mike Stidham. Others: HARKNESS; SARAHRINI; MALIBU MISCHIEF

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 06-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
Teach

Race Six:

ARI’S NAUGHTY LUCA (an MTO) is my choice in a race that I suspect will be run on the main. If that’s the case, this Mineshaft-bred gelding should move way up. I guess, quite candidly, that my major concern is: Can this 3-year old can handle the additional 2+ panels? If I knew for sure that he could, I’d be all over this horse. I’m making my selection based on the fact that this Linda Rice-trainee can “get the distance”. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: EXCHEQUER; A I INITIATIVE; QUALITY CHOICE.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 06-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
Teach

Race Seven:

CALL ME KAYLA has never run on the dirt, yet I suspect that she can handle that surface. This Mike Maker trainee should be out and going from her outside post when the gates unlatch. If she does indeed handle a wet main track, I believe she can prevail. Kendrick Carmouche is in the stirrups for the aforementioned Mike Maker. In concluding, this bay filly should “get the distance”; the question remains: “How well does she handle a wet main-track?” Others: PURRAGEOUS DYNA, DREAM PASSAGE; GOODBYE BROCKLEY

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 06-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
Teach

Race Eight:

TAPPING PEARL is my medium long-shot try at an upset. This well-bred 3-year old grey filly is making her initial start of the 2019 campaign. In her three previous races, she won at first-asking in a Churchill Downs sprint. She was then ambitiously entered in the Grade III Schuylerville (I remember when Dehere came “from out of the clouds” to win that race). She was bumped in that one and finished next-to-last. Then, back to CD for the Grade II Pocahontas; she was done at the half. But, alack and alas, today's she in with the kind she can handle. Dylan Davis in the irons for Kiaran McLaughlin. A wet track helps. Others: CARRERA CAT; MIZZEN MAX; AUNT BABE.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 06-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #9
Teach

Race Nine:

SCARLETT’S COMMAND (MTO) is my “take a walk on the wild-side” choice in this evening’s finale. This Mineshaft-bred filly has faced better in all three of her pari-mutuel starts, yet, admittedly, she’s had little to show for her efforts. She now makes one of those precipitous drops from MSWs into “the selling ranks”. That could just be “a wake-up call”. If the race is off the turf, as I believe it will be, this gal moves up. This filly’s outside starting post should help. Jim Bond – he does well with 1st time maiden claimers – is this filly’s conditioner. Others: TANIELL’S CANDY; (MTO) BOURBON HIGH; 2

"David and Lisa" (1962)