Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
aliancia

From auction ring to slaughterhouse ... in 2 years

It never ends.
https://deadspin.com/why-are-good-yo...0-m-1834225917
aliancia is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 01:31 AM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Great article. Thanks for posting.......
Old 05-03-2019, 02:12 AM   #3
thaskalos

The "Sport of Kings"...
Old 05-03-2019, 02:31 AM   #4
MadVindication

Too sad
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 AM   #5
AlsoEligible

Quote:
But while the chances of going to a slaughterhouse in Korea are high, in the U.S., where true figures are harder to come by, it appears 10,000-12,000 thoroughbred racehorses are shipped to slaughterhouses in Mexico or Canada every year. (To put that in context, the North American foal crop in 2018 was a little less than 20,000.)
Granted, the article provides little to back up that statistic, other than a link to a 2017 article making the same claim with no sources.

But if true, that's a very damning statistic for the industry. Even if it's not true, there's really no way to show the public that a black market of this size doesn't exist. As the article states, the true figures are hard to come by, because we suck at record-keeping.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 03:14 AM   #6
martini

This is a good article. If you look into your heart, we all know this is a blood sport. I love horse racing, but it really is brutal.

I love watching replays of the great races, the thrill of reading about champions, etc., but the reality is that we have murdered millions of horses for $2 bets.
martini is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #7
Hambletonian

The sad fact is we are all culpable.

We support an industry that has basically de-evolved into animal cruelty disguised as sport. And the difference is we can no longer avoid the cold hard reality that nearly every racehorse born dies an unnatural death in the worst of circumstances.

How many racehorses die of old age?

How many heathy horses are slaughtered for convenience?

All of us like to believe the best happens for all horses, we need to deep down believe that unless a horse dies on the track, they will live out their days in retirement, well fed, well cared for, until they pass due to old age.

The reality, which there really is no escaping now, is that the vast majority will not have a happy ending. The US should follow Korea's example and track all race horses cradle to grave. Let's see what the numbers show.

In this day and age, torturing horses for sport then discarding them when they no longer have any sporting value is just not acceptable. With all the advances in veterinary medicine, it does not seem that our equine athletes are benefitting much in terms of general health or lifespan.

It's only a matter of time. I am guessing there are, or will soon be, more animal welfare supporters than horse racing fans. Considering the evidence out there, I can't imagine too many politicians are going to fight to the death to save racing...the economic benefits as a whole just don't warrant it.

I realize horses are just livestock to many, and that nearly all livestock meets the same end. I eat meat...and I realize that may make me a hypocrite. And I have spent nearly five decades as a racing fan...I just don't know much more equine suffering I can live with and still enjoy this sport.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
thaskalos

We all eat meat...and we all know about the cruelty that is found within the slaughterhouses which tend to our survival needs. Cows and young calves and sheep and baby lambs and pigs and baby piglets are slaughtered by the thousands on an everyday basis...and hardly ever is a word spoken about it, because it is silently understood that these livestock animals are bred and raised strictly for our own consumption. As "cute" as they seem to us, we don't get unduly attached to them...because we realize on a deep, subconscious level that we are the "master", and that they exist merely as the "food" which sustains us.

But the horses are different, IMO. As horseplayers...we have all applauded these majestic animals...and it wasn't always because they were carrying our wager to the finish line. These animals have brought tears to our eyes with their courage and their competitiveness...and now they again bring tears to our eyes, due to the unspeakable horror which awaits so many of them once their competitive days are over. If I were an artist, then I would draw a picture of what the racetrack scene has now become: on the left of the picture...a proud, prancing horse would be led into the winners circle to have its picture taken...and on the right of the picture, this same winning horse, a little older and with its head now barely above the ground...would now be led to some overseas slaughterhouse. An appalling state of affairs which no self-respecting horseplayer should any longer tolerate, IMO...Kentucky Derby or no Kentucky Derby. These are no livestock animals...and they should no longer be treated as such...the "economics" of the game be DAMNED. And, if the game cannot exist apart from these atrocities...then, I, for one, can no longer be a part of it. I can find another gambling game to play...without the stench of a slaughterhouse lurking in the background.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-03-2019 at 01:04 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
For those of you who might not be aware, the industry has recently made some real progress on this front in many states here in the US and even in Canada.

I am specifically talking about Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance:
https://www.thoroughbredaftercare.org/

States like Maryland (and many other states as well) where there are TAA Accredited Organizations (click the link to see a map) the TAA has made a concerted effort to have horsemen get unwanted horses into the hands of the local TAA Accredited horse rescue facility (as opposed to disposing of horses by selling to a kill buyer.)

Sadly (Imo) not all racing jurisdictions have TAA Accredited horse rescue facilities.

Even more sadly (Imo) the industry still has FAR too many loopholes.

I did not know that some of our industry's most esteemed sales organizations (like Keeneland, OBS, and others) have (according to the article) apparently been able to circumvent the efforts of Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance by selling to foreign buyers.

Imo, the ONLY way our industry's most esteemed sales organizations (like Keeneland, OBS, and others) should be willing to sell not just to foreign buyers but to ALL buyers is if a strict no slaughter policy is attached to the sale of each and every racehorse they sell - period.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 05-03-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
lex

I have three horses that I used to follow that disappeared and it bothers me to this day. They probably haven't run in 10 years. One thoroughbred and two standardbreds. One standardbred ended up in Canada so he's likely doomed and the thoroughbred was last as Mountaineer so I think it's safe to assume what happened there.

Very frustrating when it's the horses that make you love this game but you're stuck living with this stuff. And there are many other horses I've worried about but these three were favorites for whatever reasons.

I have no idea what the answers are because I'll never understand someone owning a horse and letting this stuff happen.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #11
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
These are no livestock animals...and they should no longer be treated as such...the "economics" of the game be DAMNED. And, if the game cannot exist apart from these atrocities...then, I, for one, can no longer be a part of it. I can find another gambling game to play...without the stench of a slaughterhouse lurking in the background.

I'm with you 100% on this.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #12
Suff
Beat up 💪

I called one of Kentucky’s famous breeders

Arthur Hancock III:
  1. “That’s the first I’ve ever heard about it.”
  2. “I just don’t know what they do over there."
  3. "It’s a helluva long way away from Kentucky."
  4. “Hell, it’s out of our hands."
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #13
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
We all eat meat...
I don't and neither do the 5% of Americans who are vegetarian and the 3% who are vegan.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #14
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
Arthur Hancock III:
  1. “That’s the first I’ve ever heard about it.”
  2. “I just don’t know what they do over there."
  3. "It’s a helluva long way away from Kentucky."
  4. “Hell, it’s out of our hands."
If the above quote does in fact reflect the thinking of our industry stakeholders --

And if the information in the article is true, that Korean buyers have been spending millions of dollars every year buying thoroughbred racehorses at Keeneland auctions, and if in fact Keeneland has become a corporate sponsor of Korean stakes races --

Allow me to submit a novel idea to every single industry stakeholder who reads this:
  • You need to get hyper-aware immediately.
  • It’s not very far from Kentucky.
  • And no, it’s not out of your hands. (Not at all.)

-jp

Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #15
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
If the above quote does in fact reflect the thinking of our industry stakeholders --

The article also states that the KRA is spending to increase the amount of horse meat that's eatan in Korea. Horses die, people eat them. Other parts are used in fertilizer.

What's the option? That we give them graves with tombstones?
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply