Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #76
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Problem is, most tracks that are located anywhere decent most likely have a high cost of living also. For example, Golden Gate Fields in the San Francisco Bay area...Living there takes 2 incomes just so you can cozy up in a 2 bedroom apartment for 3 grand a month if you are lucky enough to even find one at that price...so really how much can any announcer really earn to be able to afford living anywhere decent. The job is simply not that important to warrant paying anymore big bucks to do...

It should be more important than ever if a track cares at all about its simulcast presentation.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #77
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
Peter is a great caller. Truly great!

Whatever validity there is to Astrofan's posts on this subject is spoiled by the fact he is obviously one of the following:

1.What he says he is (and the reason for his interest in this subject is unexplainable.)

2. A current or former racecaller who feels unfairly treated.

3. Someone who has never called a race in his life, desperately wants too and cannot get a break so takes it out on what he perceives (rightly or wrongly) as cronyism.

Whatever room there was for a discussion of caller opportunity based on talent, versus caller opportunity based on who wants to help you has long since sailed because of his vindictiveness.

But the fact remains there are far inferior callers to Peter Berry calling at tracks over the winter who should be lining up to hire him!

If anyone on the forum is visiting Rillito, stop by the Announcing Booth and say Hi to me in February and March!

Regards,
Rillito Park baby!!!!
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #78
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It should be more important than ever if a track cares at all about its simulcast presentation.
I agree but there seems to be a disconnect getting all those dots in a row...what does the hat look like that the "New Age" announcer presumably would fill...? Or is it the case that the announcer must wear many hats to be able to bring home an 80K salary a year...? The bills go on even though the meetings have seasons, and when the track is not running, then what...? Mac and cheese...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #79
dilanesp

Quote:
Really? My impression is a lot of simulcast parlors have the sound off.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #80
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Really? My impression is a lot of simulcast parlors have the sound off.
I guess some do. But for people playing at home, which is large, it would still be wise to have a good announcer. You took my use of the word "simulcast" too literally. There are many ways to watch and bet races these days.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:20 AM   #81
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
I guess some do. But for people playing at home, which is large, it would still be wise to have a good announcer. You took my use of the word "simulcast" too literally. There are many ways to watch and bet races these days.
Mostly at the simos I have attended the announcer is heard only to call the race for a minute or two and maybe briefly early for changes. Other than that, the feeds are muted...I have tried to adjust the volume on some of the monitors higher, but inevitably THAT causes other players to object who want quiet in order to concentrate..

...needless to say the feeds from the track leave much that is desired...the integration of the announcer, paddock profile, post parade and warm-ups with other media and racing professionals similar to what we see in Hong Kong racing venues is the frontier that is most in need of crossing...

Apparently, tracks do not seek to spend additional funds to support such fan-based perks and services...they must view it as a drag on their bottom line....
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #82
chiguy

Try an app called Tunity. It allows you to listen to a TV through your phone. I have worked in OTB's where we used the next up race as the decider for what feed to have the sound on but some folks preferred to listen to another feed and I would let them know about this app. I suggest using headphones when you use it so you don't bother others around you. Also good for getting the sound on a football or other sporting event when it is showing at an OTB.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #83
mountainman

When somebody sitting next to me at simulcast has the sound even audible I want to choke them. Sometimes I actually reach over and turn it down. Seriously.
mountainman is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #84
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
Try an app called Tunity. It allows you to listen to a TV through your phone. I have worked in OTB's where we used the next up race as the decider for what feed to have the sound on but some folks preferred to listen to another feed and I would let them know about this app. I suggest using headphones when you use it so you don't bother others around you. Also good for getting the sound on a football or other sporting event when it is showing at an OTB.
I pointed this app out to my brother in law who travels a ton on business. It’s great for sitting in the airport watching a news channel etc with no sound
Old 12-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #85
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
When somebody sitting next to me at simulcast has the sound even audible I want to choke them. Sometimes I actually reach over and turn it down. Seriously.
So to play Devils advocate for a second... Go to a betting shop in the UK and the audio is always on. Not just for horse racing, but also dog racing and sometimes other sports where wagers are being taken. As a kid I would sneak into betting shops when they just had audio coverage of races, so the sound was always blaring.

I wonder what the cultural significance is there? In the early days of simulcasting in the USA was there sometimes only audio, or limited races from certain tracks, did they have the sound up in those days?
Old 12-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #86
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
So to play Devils advocate for a second... Go to a betting shop in the UK and the audio is always on. Not just for horse racing, but also dog racing and sometimes other sports where wagers are being taken. As a kid I would sneak into betting shops when they just had audio coverage of races, so the sound was always blaring.

I wonder what the cultural significance is there? In the early days of simulcasting in the USA was there sometimes only audio, or limited races from certain tracks, did they have the sound up in those days?
I think here it is just very tough with so many tracks running, often on top of each other.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #87
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
I think here it is just very tough with so many tracks running, often on top of each other.
Are earphones an option at any OTBs?
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #88
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Are earphones an option at any OTBs?
When Rockingham Park opened it's state-of-the-art clubhouse "Turf Club"
around 1990, it had 11-12 jumbo TV's placed around the top of the room.
You could 'rent' headphones & plug them in at your table & pick which
screen you wanted to listen to. Seeing a table of men wearing headphones
was what i imagined The Untied Nations would have looked like
if it was an OTB.
The only footage of the "Turf Club" i can find is the final auction of ROCK
memorabilia held there.
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: