Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 10-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Wednesday, October 25

Race One:

In this first race at "Beautiful Belmont Park" – a race that I strongly believe is coming off the turf (heavy rains expected) - I’m picking a horse that has, in her name, one of my favorite spirits, Tequila. In this case, STRAWBERRY TEQUILA (Remember the song "Tequila" by “The Champs”. Great sax player, Danny Flores, “Godfather of Latino rock”). This Daaher-bred’s only pari-mutuel win came at Belmont Park almost one-year ago, to the day. This Awesome Again-bred demolished the field that day in breaking her maiden in an MSW state-bred sprint (open company, today) on a sloppy track. Eric Cancel is in the irons for trainer Bruce Brown. Candidly, neither is having what might be labeled as a stellar meet. Yet, sometimes, the elements are the great equalizer. Others: , ,

Race Two:

This scheduled MSW turf route is now, very likely, going to be run on the main. My pick is , NAPLES PARADE. This Strret Cry-bred bay filly has enough wet-track pedigree to prevail. The meet’s leading rider, Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons for the Hall-of-Fame trainer, Bill Mott. Mott does very well with horses that were favorites in their last and those making their 2nd start off a layoff. A recent, sharp 4-panels morning-work bolsters confidence. Others: , ,

Race Three:

In this one-mile 35k, n3L, I’m picking BITUMIN. This Mineshaft-bred (Is that why his original owners named him Bitumin?) has been on the shelf for nearly two months. Yet, his trainer, Jason Servis, does very well with horses that have been “on vacation”. I should mention that this Tale of the Cat-bred has a solid wet-track pedigree. I should also cite that this A.P. Indy-bred has faced some pretty tough competition in his relatively brief racing career. Last year, as a 2 year-old, he won the Grade III Sanford up at “The Spa”. He also competed in Saratoga’s Grade I Hopeful and the Breeder’s Cup Futurity, a race won by the 2016 2 year-old Male Horse of the Year, Classic Empire. Oh, one final point, the aforementioned Servis has an excellent record when entering horses: first off a claim; they end up in the winner’s circle on the average of one out of three times. Others: , , .

Race Four:

In this 75k MSW, I’m picking: , ALKHAATAM. This Tapit (Pulpit)-bred sports a solid wet-track pedigree. This 2 year-old grey colt has some of the top connections in the sport of thoroughbred racing: (1) Shadwell Farms; Trainer Chad Brown; and jockey Jose Ortiz. “Mechanicsville Chad” does very well both with 1st Time Starters and Debut MSWs. A sharp, recent 4-panels “bullet” work signals readiness. Others: , ,

Race Five:

In an MSW sprint that’s scheduled for the lawn but will likely be run on the main, I’m picking an MTO, STRATOSPHERE. This Graydar-bred 2 year-old colt has impeccable wet-track credentials. The man from “Big D,” Todd Pletcher, conditions this grandson of Unbridled’s Song. Pletcher does very well when entering horses that are:1st Time Starters. A couple recent sharp morning works bolsters condidence. No jockey listed at time of picks. Others:, ,

Race Six:

In an OC that was scheduled for the turf, but one that I believe will be run on the main at eight panels, I’m selecting an MTO, CRIMSON FROST. There’s solid backing for this 3 year-old bay filly: The filly’s owner is: “The Streit Man,” Aron Yagoda; the filly’s trainer is the most capable Racine, WI native, Linda Rice, and the jockey is: “The ‘In-Law’,” the meet’s leading rider, Irad Ortiz, Jr. This filly has a solid wet-track pedigree, especially “on top”. Oh, the aforementioned Rice has a very good record with horses making their 3rd start off a layoff. This Storm Cat-bred filly has turned in a steady array of morning works. She should be closing in the stretch. Others: , ,

Race Seven:

In this 10-panels marathon that’s scheduled for the turf but will likely be run on the main, I’m picking the MTO, FLASH TRADING. You won’t need a speed-of-light computer to figure out that this 5 year-old chestnut gelding has a solid chance of getting his picture taken. The wet track-pedigree is there; it’s undeniable, e.g., Broken Vow, Unbridled, Alphabet Soup, etc. Yes, this Spelling-bred has been away from the races for nearly two months, and yes, it’s a category that his trainer, John Terranova II, doesn’t do particularly well with. However, I believe this gelding has a shot. Nota Bene: the aforementioned Terranova has a low percentage with horses that are entered: 1st After a Claim. Yet, despite that detraction, I'm still picking him. Others:, ,

Race Eight:

In this 6 and ½ panels OC sprint, n2x, I’m picking: YOUR LOVE. It’s that “dynamic duo,” again: Chad Brown, Belmont’s leading trainer and Irad Ortiz, Jr., the meet’s leading jockey. This filly should relish the wet-track conditions. She’s won once and finished second once in two wet-track tries. This filly has only been off the board once; that came when she was ambitiously entered in the Grade I Test up at “The Spa” in early August. Although this filly finished 6th out of 10 horses in that Grade I event, it should be stated that she wasn’t completely outclassed. A solid recent work instills confidence. Others: , ,

Race Nine:

In the nightcap, a 6-panels 25 claiming sprint that’s scheduled for the lawn but will likely be run on the main, I’m selecting: SPECIAL JO. This Johannesburg-bred bay gelding has hit the tote in 9 out of 11 lifetime wet-track tries (four of those were wins). This 7 year-old should benefit from today’s 2-panels turn-back off his last start. The bug-jock, Hector Diaz, Jr., is in the irons for trainer Ed DeLauro. DeLauro does very well with horses entered 2nd start with trainer. Yet, it should be cited that that data comes with an extremely small sampling. Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Teach

First Post: 12:55 p.m. First race off the turf.

Race One: Revised selections: - --

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Teach

Race Nine: Replace scratched with .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 10-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
boxcar

Unless otherwise noted, any selections I make are for Win.

BEL-01: the
Old 10-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Unless otherwise noted, any selections I make are for Win.

BEL-01: the
Won, paid 6.20
Old 10-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
boxcar

BEL-06 #

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: