Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #526
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
Anyone listening to today's CHRB meeting?

https://www.selectstreaming.com/live/chrb/audio.php

Been over 90 minutes (and counting) of public comments, with 90% of those commenters being animal rights activists.

Lots of statistics on horse deaths being fired off, and the CHRB was absolutely not prepared for this. The worst counter-arguments from the board so far include "well we should just let all the horses stay in the wild and be killed by poachers", and "why don't you guys care as much about children dying in the city". Auerbach seems particularly on tilt, getting into shouting matches and trying to talk over people.

Yeah, these people are uninformed, but these half-baked responses, or just trying to talk over the public....not a good look. Did they really think that we would just get through a couple weekends without a breakdown, and all of this would go away? I guess so.
Deleted

Last edited by cj; 04-18-2019 at 10:46 PM. Reason: No politics in the horse racing sections --- cj
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #527
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Looking at all the charts since they resumed racing, I found 4 instances where a horse was pulled, but no mention of bleeding at all.

4-4 R2
4-6-R1
4-14-R1
4-14 R6

4-12 R2 horse fell

Also, there 3 or 4 horses who pulled up right after the break and did not finish. Seemed to be more than usual to me.
Wow and they are running short fields.

That’s not a good stat at all

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #528
biggestal99

Thoroughbreds are domesticated animals like a dog or a cat.

We don’t put puffy and kitty (the names of my rescue cats) out in the wild.

Good lord the CHRB can’t fend off animal rights activists.

I need to be on the board. Jeez.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #529
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
Goodbye Lasix, and Good Riddance

In Europe, bleeding is managed with proper husbandry, feeding, and preparation of the horses rather than with the drug Lasix, or any other legal drugs. There, appropriate conditioning and husbandry measures maintain pulmonary health and endurance, eliminating reliance on medications to manage bleeding and unsoundness. Less medication translates to safer horse racing. Bleeding is best prevented by appropriate breeding, athletic development, abundant locomotion, husbandry, training, nutrition and conditioning rather than by drug use, which sets a grave precedent.

https://t.co/gWi1MaMNa2
Grave precedent indeed. More like the opening of Pandora’s Box. Because now it will take years to make the adjustments while horse racing is in a weak position. Once 86% of the stakes races go without Lasix the breeding of bleeders will begin to be weeded out. Plus, every horse that comes back with a drop of blood won’t be labeled a needer. Which tells everyone that it’s a short cut to making a horse run better. Plus, these stakes horses are getting less starts than horses that ran before without it. Number of starts keeps decreasing so what the hell are these drugs accomplishing? Besides breeding the next generation of even weaker horses.

That’s the problem with a race game that is top heavy with breeding cash. Got a fast horse? Needs Lasix? Who cares he wins a few big races we can retire and breed a whole batch at millions of dollars. Why think about outcome and consequences there’s mucho money to be made.....and the cycle continues where the not as fast ones need every drug and treatment in the book to run. Because they don’t have the luxury of a 6 to 15 race career. Funny though, before the drugging and the breeding syndicates the good ones could race as much as the slower ones.

And talk about the state of denial. Some of these people still think PETA is the only problem. Luckily, seems like some have seen the light and changes are finally coming even though it’s gonna hurt. Public scrutiny is here and they denied it and waited for it to come to this. Like I said in this thread pages ago. This is not going away. Not this time. Just look at some of these races. The SA Derby had 6 horses and the same day the SA Handicap had 6 horses, 2 of them were 10 lengths behind after a 24 quarter and the winner was a horse that could barely win an allowance race before. That’s the product you are selling and left with. If nobody says anything you’ll even have the nerve to brag about that or call the disgruntled people “complaining horse players”. C’mon!
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #530
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

A cancelling Thursday racing to go to a 3 day week.
Looking at their recent pathetic cards, maybe 3 days is excessive.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/lost-horse-
population-forces-santa-anita-to-cancel-thursday-cards/

I do notice more and more California horse showing up at other tracks. This is good - an infusion of some quality horses can't hurt.
I am pretty tied of 5 horse filed, or 7 horse field with 3 scratches.
This time of year, races be getting better, and most are sucking more wind.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #531
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
A cancelling Thursday racing to go to a 3 day week.
Looking at their recent pathetic cards, maybe 3 days is excessive.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/lost-horse-
population-forces-santa-anita-to-cancel-thursday-cards/

I do notice more and more California horse showing up at other tracks. This is good - an infusion of some quality horses can't hurt.
I am pretty tied of 5 horse filed, or 7 horse field with 3 scratches.
This time of year, races be getting better, and most are sucking more wind.
How long till the property is sold and redeveloped? California is in push for areas like this to develop high-rise condos and apartments. Galvin the new Governor is on board to get it done.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: