Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #511
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
so a question, have there been bleeding incidents since the lowering of the LASIX dosage.

Allan
Looking at all the charts since they resumed racing, I found 4 instances where a horse was pulled, but no mention of bleeding at all.

4-4 R2
4-6-R1
4-14-R1
4-14 R6

4-12 R2 horse fell

Also, there 3 or 4 horses who pulled up right after the break and did not finish. Seemed to be more than usual to me.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #512
AlsoEligible

Anyone listening to today's CHRB meeting?

https://www.selectstreaming.com/live/chrb/audio.php

Been over 90 minutes (and counting) of public comments, with 90% of those commenters being animal rights activists.

Lots of statistics on horse deaths being fired off, and the CHRB was absolutely not prepared for this. The worst counter-arguments from the board so far include "well we should just let all the horses stay in the wild and be killed by poachers", and "why don't you guys care as much about children dying in the city". Auerbach seems particularly on tilt, getting into shouting matches and trying to talk over people.

Yeah, these people are uninformed, but these half-baked responses, or just trying to talk over the public....not a good look. Did they really think that we would just get through a couple weekends without a breakdown, and all of this would go away? I guess so.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #513
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Goodbye Lasix, and Good Riddance

In Europe, bleeding is managed with proper husbandry, feeding, and preparation of the horses rather than with the drug Lasix, or any other legal drugs. There, appropriate conditioning and husbandry measures maintain pulmonary health and endurance, eliminating reliance on medications to manage bleeding and unsoundness. Less medication translates to safer horse racing. Bleeding is best prevented by appropriate breeding, athletic development, abundant locomotion, husbandry, training, nutrition and conditioning rather than by drug use, which sets a grave precedent.

https://t.co/gWi1MaMNa2

Last edited by bob60566; 04-18-2019 at 02:15 PM.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #514
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
Anyone listening to today's CHRB meeting?

https://www.selectstreaming.com/live/chrb/audio.php

Been over 90 minutes (and counting) of public comments, with 90% of those commenters being animal rights activists.

Lots of statistics on horse deaths being fired off, and the CHRB was absolutely not prepared for this. The worst counter-arguments from the board so far include "well we should just let all the horses stay in the wild and be killed by poachers", and "why don't you guys care as much about children dying in the city". Auerbach seems particularly on tilt, getting into shouting matches and trying to talk over people.

Yeah, these people are uninformed, but these half-baked responses, or just trying to talk over the public....not a good look. Did they really think that we would just get through a couple weekends without a breakdown, and all of this would go away? I guess so.

"well we should just let all the horses stay in the wild and be killed by poachers"

I'm not going to say I'm 100% up on all this but you are right some prep would have helped. Did someone actually say that?? Might as well put public perception in the garbage disposal. I clicked on the link but it says intermission. The background music is the Star Trek theme I think. Weird.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #515
098poi

(now it is Star Wars)
Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #516
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi View Post
"well we should just let all the horses stay in the wild and be killed by poachers"

I'm not going to say I'm 100% up on all this but you are right some prep would have helped. Did someone actually say that?? Might as well put public perception in the garbage disposal. I clicked on the link but it says intermission. The background music is the Star Trek theme I think. Weird.
Yes, commissioner Auerbach said it. Believe one of the speakers/protesters said something about horses belonging in the wild, not at a track, and that was the response from the board as the speaker walked away. There will be a full transcript posted online within a couple weeks, should be a fun read.

Public comments just ended (after nearly 2 hours), so the meeting is in a 10-20 minute intermission before they actually get to the rest of the agenda.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #517
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote from ten days ago said it all

So I asked the CHRB why the meeting was canceled. Here is the response.

"Due to the fact that the weekend of racing (at Santa Anita) was safe and successful, the original reason for the meeting no longer exists."
Old 04-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #518
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
Quote from ten days ago said it all

So I asked the CHRB why the meeting was canceled. Here is the response.

"Due to the fact that the weekend of racing (at Santa Anita) was safe and successful, the original reason for the meeting no longer exists."
Funny because that item just came up at this meeting:

Quote:
Agenda Item #7. Discussion and action by the Board regarding possible reallocation of race dates granted to the Los Angeles Turf Club (LA TC) at Santa Anita Park Race Track pursuant to Business and Professions Code Section 19530.
And it was glossed over within 2 minutes. From Chuck Winner:

Quote:
Racing since Santa Anita has re-opened has been really good, there have been no accidents. And I personally see no reason to move the race dates.
No further comments or discussion, meeting moves onto the next agenda item. Would have at least been nice to call up Ritvo to give a progress report on the last couple weeks, and show some of the activists there that things are moving in the right direction. Oh well.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #519
dilanesp

The Mayor of Amity Beach just called. He says there is no shark and we should reopen the beaches.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 03:31 PM   #520
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The Mayor of Amity Beach just called. He says there is no shark and we should reopen the beaches.
Kevin Bacon during the parade scene in Animal House. "All is well"
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #521
098poi

Quote:

Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #522
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

They're going to need a bigger boat.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #523
cutchemist42

Pullthepocket on Twitter said these guys get 2.5% of the takeout and that's the best they could muster.

Santa Anita is done...
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #524
bob60566
Vancouver Island

It could well be the individuals on this committee were not very well prepared.

Please standby normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. lol
Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #525
AlsoEligible

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/18/u...-horse-deaths/

Quote:
"I disagree with exploiting animals for your own gain," activist Rene Rowland said.

"Do you have a pet? Then you're exploiting it for your own gain," said board Chairman Chuck Winner, who strongly denied that the industry mistreats horses.

"I don't hop on a dog and ride it," Rowland snapped back.
I missed that gem will listening to the webcast. So it wasn't just Auerbach with the ridiculous counter-arguments.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: