Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
Now that I'm a laker fan, why did we sign lance Stephenson? Especially with his history with LeBron.
No idea, and JaVale too!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I followed sports at a very young age, I listened to all the Laker games on radio and watched on TV when they were on since I was 5. At the age of 8 my dad took me to see the Lakers play the San Diego Rockets in San Diego in 1969. At an early shoot around I tried to get Laker players to autograph a ball I brought in, they all ignored me like I was not there. Elvin Hayes of the Rockets came over and signed my ball. I hated the Lakers ever since. The other reason was when I ignored my hate and bet on them to win the NBA championship in 1991, they won the first game and then lost 4 straight to the Bulls. F**k the Lakers.
The Big E was my favorite player as a kid, mostly of course because I was a Bullets fan. That is a really cool story, thanks.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Cousins to Warriors. NBA now a laughing stock.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #19
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Cousins to Warriors. NBA now a laughing stock.
Anyone else surprised by some of the other Laker moves?

Seems like they traded some assets for a hodgepodge that doesn't look competitive at all.

This off-season has been very annoying as no team seems to have really improved except the Warriors. LeBron aside of course...

Cousins does have a caveat with the injury but... smdh.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
ronsmac

Quote:
The Big E was my favorite player as a kid, mostly of course because I was a Bullets fan. That is a really cool story, thanks.
The Big E helped break my heart when they beat Seattle for the title. The SuperSonics were my favorite team as a kid because of the cool name, the cool uniforms, and all the cool nicknames of their players. They had Downtown Freddie Brown, Slick Watts, Gus Williams the wizard, Marvin Webster the human eraser, Dennis Johnson aka DJ, and Paul Silas the bricklayer. I lost 10 fifty cent bets trying to beat the Bullets.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #21
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Anyone else surprised by some of the other Laker moves?

Seems like they traded some assets for a hodgepodge that doesn't look competitive at all.

This off-season has been very annoying as no team seems to have really improved except the Warriors. LeBron aside of course...

Cousins does have a caveat with the injury but... smdh.
I don't know what they're doing.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
The Big E helped break my heart when they beat Seattle for the title. The SuperSonics were my favorite team as a kid because of the cool name, the cool uniforms, and all the cool nicknames of their players. They had Downtown Freddie Brown, Slick Watts, Gus Williams the wizard, Marvin Webster the human eraser, Dennis Johnson aka DJ, and Paul Silas the bricklayer. I lost 10 fifty cent bets trying to beat the Bullets.
You left out Jack Sikma! He was probably their best player when they won the title, him or DJ.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #23
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I don't know what they're doing.
I think they are just filling out the roster with guys they can dump next year and go after two more max guys.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #24
lansdale

Lakers now one of the eight teams in the west that look to win 50-52 games. Strange that they got LBJ and Rondo, who'll take valuable minutes away from their two best prospects, Zo and Ingram. L.A. now out for Kawhi. But Spurs really need to move him or they get screwed.

Think Pels believe that Cousins, who had major surgery after Achilles blowout, wouldn't recover his top form. Regardless, he won't play until January and then, who knows how he'll be. Easy title for GSW, so another boring year in the NBA.
Wonder if Silver will take any action to change East-West imbalance -- west now has almost every player to make an NBA 1st team in the past four years.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #25
ronsmac

Quote:
You left out Jack Sikma! He was probably their best player when they won the title, him or DJ.
I loved Sikma, I don't remember if he had a nickname though.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #26
ronsmac

Quote:
I think they are just filling out the roster with guys they can dump next year and go after two more max guys.
Probably but LeBron is no spring chicken.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #27
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Probably but LeBron is no spring chicken.
I agree, but most seem to be overlooking that fact. I thought it showed in his play this year on the defensive end.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #28
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
Lakers now one of the eight teams in the west that look to win 50-52 games. Strange that they got LBJ and Rondo, who'll take valuable minutes away from their two best prospects, Zo and Ingram. L.A. now out for Kawhi. But Spurs really need to move him or they get screwed.

Think Pels believe that Cousins, who had major surgery after Achilles blowout, wouldn't recover his top form. Regardless, he won't play until January and then, who knows how he'll be. Easy title for GSW, so another boring year in the NBA.
Wonder if Silver will take any action to change East-West imbalance -- west now has almost every player to make an NBA 1st team in the past four years.
You know, sometimes it is best just to let a guy like Leonard walk than it is to trade him and take guys back that you don't really want but get stuck with. Salary cap space is quite valuable in the NBA and you give that up if you trade.

Also, the Lakers would have to give up quite a bit to sign him next year if they don't get him via trade. You can't just sign a max contract guy unless you have room under the cap. So adding Leornard will mean they have to fill the rest of the roster with rookies and vet minimum guys. The Spurs really have no incentive to help the Lakers IMO.

Last edited by cj; 07-05-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #29
lansdale

Quote:
You know, sometimes it is best just to let a guy like Leonard walk than it is to trade him and take guys back that you don't really want but get stuck with. Salary cap space is quite valuable in the NBA and you give that up if you trade.

Also, the Lakers would have to give up quite a bit to sign him next year if they don't get him via trade. You can't just sign a max contract guy unless you have room under the cap. So adding Leornard will mean they have to fill the rest of the roster with rookies and vet minimum guys. The Spurs really have no incentive to help the Lakers IMO.
Well, it's a poker game at this point re Kawhi, but it's really not about money for any of the principals. Kawhi has said he'll sit this year if they don't deal him and obviously walk next season. You may say, let him walk, you get the cap space but no amount of cap space is going to get a player as good as Kawhi -- thye're already tied up in long term deals. At the high end of the talent spectrum there are no replacements, or often any available players even close to as good. Cap space is often like having a billion dollars in the desert but no water available -- you're still going to die. This is starting to become a norm in the NBA and is kind of like a simpler version of a typical movie business problem -- your star bails just before you're about to shoot, and you try to replace him -- but there's only three guys in the world that you can use and none are available. So the movie shuts down. But in the sports world, you can't shut down the team -- you accept that your team will just be worse without that player. The Spurs have said they're not willing to do this -- they don't want to rebuild, they want good players in any deal to stay in the playoffs. So they either take Sixers best offer or they call Kahwi's bluff and see if he really sits it out. I think the odds are ca. 60/40, former, latter.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #30
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

While it is true that salary cap room can be fool's gold, it is also true that not having any when you aren't a top team is also not a good spot to be in. A lot of teams are in that spot this year because of foolish spending a couple of years ago. The Thunder have gotten themselves into a tough spot with too much spending that netted them a four seed. At some point all teams are just better off blowing it up. With Kawhi gone, the Spurs are probably close to that level.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: