Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #1
Poindexter

Racing and round robins?

Is there a reason that racing doesn't offer, encourage and promote round robins? Racing is so busy encouraging players to play pick 4's and pick 5's and especially the rainbow six which often have races filled with first time starters and races they don't have a clue about. With a round robin, players (especially those new to the game) can focus on horses they like and not mess around with the races they shouldn't be involved in. Moreover the race track is going to get a lot more handle (and boost their wps pools) from a bunch of players formulating round robin plays than they are from them sticking their money into single takeout pools like the pick 4, pick 5 and pick 6. Every sports book offers players the opportunity to easily play them. Why doesn't racing?
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
sour grapes
Veteran

what exactly is a round robin,if its a parlay this can be easily accomplished.The problem lies with the self discipline of the bettor.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour grapes View Post
what exactly is a round robin,if its a parlay this can be easily accomplished.The problem lies with the self discipline of the bettor.
It's a series of parlays...
Old 06-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
It's a series of parlays...
Right. When I first started playing horses with Bookies and/or at Caliente you could make parlays or round robin parlays. A $20 WP round robin parlay would cost $240 (series of two horse parlays). 30 years a go at Caliente you could call out a 4 horse WP round robin to a teller and they could do it manually at 4 different tracks. Should be a button on Self Serve machines to do it yourself and online in Ca. I wouldn't print parlay cards again.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour grapes View Post
Just to elaborate on what Andy posted(and he is correct). Basically, say you have 4 horses over a card that you really like. The first we will call 1, the 2nd we will call 2, the third we will call 3 the 4th we will call 4. So we would parlay 1 to 2, 1 to 3, 1 to 4, 2 to 3, 2 to 4, 3 to 4. Total of 6 $2 parlays. Cost $12(or as Andy stated $240 on a $20 win/place round robin). The idea is that if you hit 2 of 4 you typically make a profit(assuming your horses average over 3/2), if you hit less than 2 you lose your investment and if you can hit 3 or better yet 4 of 4 you can do really well. Not easy to hit 4 of 4 winners, but much easier to have 4 of 4 come 1st or 2nd or even 1st, 2nd, 3rd. It is similar in nature to a pick 4, but as I stated, it can boost handle and pools.

Most bettors(especially new ones) are not familiar with the process and it is work(enough work to deter them from doing it). If it is a button on the self service terminal or at your adw, the computer does the work for you and the end of the 4 races your results appear. I maintain that many players will do better with round robins, focussing on horses they like and races they like then they will do with pick 4's that often feature wide open grass grab bags and races loaded with first time starters or lightly raced horses(especially players new to the game). So it actually promotes discipline. The silver lining is that round robins if utilized will increase handle. But since most players(especially newbies) are not that familiar with the bet, it needs to be added, promoted and encouraged for it to take off.

You know, imagine encouraging a horseplayer to round robin 4 horses they really like instead of throwing away money in the Rainbow Six which they have zero chance of pulling down the jackpot on and a tiny chance of cashing anyhow. This is an old school tecnique of bringing modern horseplayers back to the basics (wps wagering) with a modern twist(parlays).
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
joeslovo

What's In a Name

Here is a round robin as I know it:
https://www.aceodds.com/what-is-a-round-robin-bet.html

http://www.tiptime.co.uk/horse-racing-multiple-bets/

What you have described is an each way Yankee:

4 horses consists of 6 doubles;4 trebles and one accumulator (4 fold here).
Equals 11 bets or 22 bets for w/p.

5 horses consists of 10 doubles;10 trebles;5 four folds and one accumulator.

6 horses is a Heinz 57 since there are 57 bets

15 doubles;20 trebles;15 four folds;6 five folds and one accumulator.

You can make these bets yourself;picking horses at different tracks;but you

would need to be able to track going on money and indeed you would adversely

effect your own outcome by money running on at the track.

Having them in betting pools would be different;but can you realistically see

that happening today?

Can you believe that I used to work these out manually;hundreds of times per

day;six days per week in Belfast and in London during the early sixties.
joeslovo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: