Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci..._medium=social
Thanks Andy, after reading the article you posted I understand the "circuit" and yes, there are at least (2) circuits in California...North (with the Fairs rotating in and out) and South...The "circuit" just means that only one Track runs at a time in each jurisdiction...(I already knew that)...in the article, the quote came up...

"Although Race Dates Committee members said the topic was only a discussion and a starting point toward potential changes down the line, executives representing industry stakeholders largely dismissed the proposition or brought up other issues within the industry they felt were adversely impacting racing in the state."

This idea is no solution at all...the patient is ill, so the doctors say "We know, lets try STARVING HIM (more) and see if THAT works.......Wow...!!!

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 05-24-2017 at 09:52 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #17
Track Phantom

Quote:
Now it's your turn to offer your solutions to the problems we face in Ca.

What would you do to replace the Hollywood Park turf course/training center?

What adjustments would you make to the wagering menu and takeout rates if any? How about breakage?

Finally what is your strategy to grow handle and revenue by growing the game along with your marketing plan?

Lay it out!
Don't know. I just know the issues you mentioned above are important to YOU but mean nothing to the crowd you would be marketing to (non-horse racing players). If you want them at the track and putting their money through the window to grow the handle, you better start asking them (and thinking like them).... not like a daily horse player.

I've researched the issue a variety of times and found there are 3 things that discourage people:
1. Too complicated (handicapping and betting - too intimidating for the novice)
2. Too slow (too much down time between races)
3. Poor production (lack of HD, trees obscuring the view, etc.)

You can dance around these things all you want but until there is a solution to them, the game will continue to be unappealing to 99.9% of the public. I could go on about why these are the three but I don't think I need to.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #18
airford1

Quote:
If the Stronach Group is serious about the future of California Racing they have to make a deal with Pomona. There is no other option.

A mile X-tra wide turf course so horses can work on the outer half and to run 4 two week turf meets per year. A dirt course inside the turf course.

2000 Modern Stalls

Lights to run or work at night.

A state of the art Veterinary Clinic that showcases how well we treat the horses. Maybe and equestrian center funded by another party nearby.

If they’re not willing to spend the money and make a deal then they don’t see a future in California and are prepared for slow death.
You can build 10000 stalls and ten training centers and if the NEW OWNERS ( which you don't have) can't make money from racing horses the stalls will be empty. Don't be stupid. It's simple cause and affect, if we could make a profit racing we would and that is coming from an Ex owner with friends that are Ex owners. The old "build it and they will come " is plain stupid.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #19
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
Don't know. I just know the issues you mentioned above are important to YOU but mean nothing to the crowd you would be marketing to (non-horse racing players). If you want them at the track and putting their money through the window to grow the handle, you better start asking them (and thinking like them).... not like a daily horse player.

I've researched the issue a variety of times and found there are 3 things that discourage people:

You can dance around these things all you want but until there is a solution to them, the game will continue to be unappealing to 99.9% of the public. I could go on about why these are the three but I don't think I need to.
How do you un-complicate it? Will an Industry wide effort to have newbies bet WPS and Exactas so they cash more tickets a good idea?

How about the Jockey Club and NTRA willing to support California Racing as a test jurisdiction for selling it as a gambling game of skill to a younger generation? Never been tried right?

How much time between races should there be?

You must have some specific solutions to the problems you presented???
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #20
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
You can build 10000 stalls and ten training centers and if the NEW OWNERS ( which you don't have) can't make money from racing horses the stalls will be empty. Don't be stupid. It's simple cause and affect, if we could make a profit racing we would and that is coming from an Ex owner with friends that are Ex owners. The old "build it and they will come " is plain stupid.
To have a functioning turf course to run on and train on is basic with the demise of Hollywood Park. Santa Anita no longer lets horses train on it turf.

When have a significant number of owners ever made money?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #21
airford1

Quote:
To have a functioning turf course to run on and train on is basic with the demise of Hollywood Park. Santa Anita no longer lets horses train on it turf.

Times have changed my friend. Horse racing is no longer the only game in town.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #22
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Times have changed my friend. Horse racing is no longer the only game in town.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.
I'm pretty sure that if you look at my posts or the article I wrote I acknowledge that significant changes must be made. What have I written to indicate that I don't know that times have changed?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #23
airford1

Never, but it was much easier to write your loses off.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #24
Andy Asaro

Quote:

Never, but it was much easier to write your loses off.
Is your solution to just end it?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #25
airford1

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that if you look at my posts or the article I wrote I acknowledge that significant changes must be made. What have I written to indicate that I don't know that times have changed?
Work the problem. If the owners can break even with better tax breaks then there will be a need for more horses. A need for more horses will put Breeders back in business. That is a REAL way to get more entries in the box, not building stalls HOPING for horses that nobody has.
We have already seen that larger purse money isn't enough for barn the come to California. We need to create our own industry in California with tax incentives the give owner and breeders a chance.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #26
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Work the problem. If the owners can break even with better tax breaks then there will be a need for more horses. A need for more horses will put Breeders back in business. That is a REAL way to get more entries in the box, not building stalls HOPING for horses that nobody has.
We have already seen that larger purse money isn't enough for barn the come to California. We need to create our own industry in California with tax incentives the give owner and breeders a chance.
Yet, I don't see any group of Owners/Breeders aligning to lobby for that in Ca. And you're right about purse money.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #27
airford1

Quote:
Yet, I don't see any group of Owners/Breeders aligning to lobby for that in Ca. And you're right about purse money.
Without the lobby racing will be dead. I LOVE horse racing, but in the last 30 years the big farms have closed and not been replaced and the same goes for the big owners. The cost of keeping a horse in training is beyond what you have a chance of making and for a small group of 5 partners its no longer a reasonable risk.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #28
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post

I hate giant trees in the infield. Arlington and Fair Grounds are the worst offenders. The horses disappear 3 or 4 times depending on the distance.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 12:56 AM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

You will never get over "too complicated"

People under 30 can't do basic math anymore, let alone read a racing form or derive trainer intent or the other nuanced implications in PP's.

Running half as many days and a third less races might be a start, but in 20 yrs there will be very few players left.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:17 AM   #30
GMB@BP

Maybe they should try what Monmouth is doing?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply