Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #166
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlandb View Post
How about not having 30 minutes in between each fricking race. No "new" casual fan can spend 5 hours going to the track to watch all the card. Golf and baseball have the same problem. Our lives are too busy for the time commitment. You think I am full of BS? You try taking your kids to the "slower than hell" racetrack. I went to Lone Star today and left after 5 races, because I couldn't take it, and I love racing.
How about visiting the track's simulcast center...where races are shown from every track in the country, in rapid-fire fashion? Of all the "complaints" about the current "racetrack experience"...this "time in-between races" gripe is the one that I find totally incomprehensible. You DO know that full-card simulcasting has been offered nationwide for about 20 years now...right?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #167
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
...You DO know that full-card simulcasting has been offered nationwide for about 20 years now...right?
Actually, without knowing it you've touched on yet another of California's many (self inflicted) problems:

Horsemen and track management refuse to allow actual full-card simulcasting.

They purposely limit the number of out of state races that can be bet at their brick and mortar simulcast centers.

-jp

Old 06-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #168
ronsmac

Quote:
How about not having 30 minutes in between each fricking race. No "new" casual fan can spend 5 hours going to the track to watch all the card. Golf and baseball have the same problem. Our lives are too busy for the time commitment. You think I am full of BS? You try taking your kids to the "slower than hell" racetrack. I went to Lone Star today and left after 5 races, because I couldn't take it, and I love racing.
Try 6 hours at Saratoga. 11 or 12 race cards that take forever to run. Some of the races are 36 or 37 minutes apart.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #169
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
The solution is not to have a lot less time between races, but to consume the time between races. One of the issues is that serious players want to watch the replays - that takes some time. A second issue is that serious players want to make sure the odds stabilize (or at least come close) before they bet. That takes some time. A third issue is that a number of people like to look at the horses pre-race to get a sense of their readiness.

Tracks like Belmont and Saratoga have a lot of expert commentary - I can tell you stories of people who hit races they wouldn't have hit if they hadn't been listening to Maggie Wolfendale. And whatever you think of Andy Serling, he is knowledgable and entertaining. I would agree that 36-37 minutes is too long, but on the other hand, they do keep prompt post times once they are set. When I am at a track like Saratoga, the time between races goes by pretty quickly. They always have entertainment going on, mainly music. Tracks either can't or won't invest in entertaining expert commentary or just entertainment. If you attend a live baseball game, there is always something entertaining between batters or innings. I'm never bored at a live baseball game.

It isn't that people are too busy for the time commitment, it is that racing isn't really a priority for them. How many of those same "busy" people will spend from noon to midnight on a Sunday watching pre-game shows, football games, and postgame shows?

A racetrack isn't really a venue for kids. You want kids to be entertained? Spend your five hours at Six Flags.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #170
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
How about visiting the track's simulcast center...where races are shown from every track in the country, in rapid-fire fashion? Of all the "complaints" about the current "racetrack experience"...this "time in-between races" gripe is the one that I find totally incomprehensible.
The guy was talking specifically about new/casual players, who aren't coming to the track to sit in a simulcast center watching fifteen different television screens. Nor would I recommend it, unless you want them to burn through their bankroll in less than 2 hours, leave discouraged, and never come back.

The new/casual crowd are coming to see live horses, watch live races, hear the roar of the crowds, all that jazz...and with the exception of a few tracks, there's not much to do when you're trying to kill 30 minutes between races. I don't really know how you fix that. But assuming they're not already die-hard players, telling them "well go inside and watch more racing!" isn't a good answer.

Quote:
You DO know that full-card simulcasting has been offered nationwide for about 20 years now...right?
Wrong. If you're going to be a dick about it, then you DO know that full-card simulcasting hasn't been offered in California for that same 20 years....right? Since this thread is specifically talking about California, I think that's relevant.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 02:32 AM   #171
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
The guy was talking specifically about new/casual players, who aren't coming to the track to sit in a simulcast center watching fifteen different television screens. Nor would I recommend it, unless you want them to burn through their bankroll in less than 2 hours, leave discouraged, and never come back.

The new/casual crowd are coming to see live horses, watch live races, hear the roar of the crowds, all that jazz...and with the exception of a few tracks, there's not much to do when you're trying to kill 30 minutes between races. I don't really know how you fix that. But assuming they're not already die-hard players, telling them "well go inside and watch more racing!" isn't a good answer.

Wrong. If you're going to be a dick about it, then you DO know that full-card simulcasting hasn't been offered in California for that same 20 years....right? Since this thread is specifically talking about California, I think that's relevant.
I beg to differ...the guy WASN'T "talking specifically about new/casual players". That's YOUR interpretation...because you needed something to support the lame point that you are trying to make. The guy stated that he HIMSELF found the waiting in-between races to be so excruciatingly BORING...that he HIMSELF could not bear to watch more than 5 live races. He said that he HIMSELF left the track after 5 races...even though he purportedly "loves the game". THAT'S why I suggested to him that he visit the simulcast center...as a cure to the "boredom" that live racing burdens him with.

You say that you wouldn't "recommend" that players bet out-of-town tracks while watching them on television screens. Do you "recommend" that these same players leave after 5 races...because they are excruciatingly BORED?

PS...

I know full well that this thread is about California...but the post that I responded to WASN'T. And THAT'S what I consider "relevant".
Old 06-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #172
dilanesp

I think 20-25 minutes is the magic number. That's what many fair meets do (and they cater to casual fans).

But it's worth noting that the long downtime isn't the obvious deterrent to casual fans that people claim it is. The biggest racecards, the TC and Breeders' Cup, all of which draw tons of casual fans, all have much longer downtime, especially before the feature races. If fans are having a good time, getting drunk, spending time with friends, etc., I don't think they mind the downtime at all.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #173
Andy Asaro

Will be interviewed on WS Radio this morning (starts 8:00 AM PST). Will try to find out what time he comes on.

www.wsradio.com

Studio B
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #174
Andy Asaro

Ritvo on in a couple minutes. My mistake about yesterday.

www.wsradio.com Studio B
Old 07-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #175
oughtoh

Andy Thank you for posting the site. Listening to it now.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #176
jimmyb

I detect a New England accent.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #177
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
I detect a New England accent.
he's from here and he married Kathy Petro.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #178
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtoh View Post
Andy Thank you for posting the site. Listening to it now.
THX

Good job by both Ritvo and Felix. Sure he will be on again.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #179
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
he's from here and he married Kathy Petro.
Kathy's an excellent trainer who did a great job with Mucho Macho Man.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply