Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 06-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Friday, June 23

Good morning everyone from sultry Eastern Massachusetts. Well, the BoSox and Yankees are in a flat-footed tie in the A.L. East. On another note, I must admit my handicapping left something to be desired, yesterday. I'm looking forward to rebounding on this afternoon's "Afternoon Delight" 3 p.m. card.

Well, summer has officially begun and with July just about a week away, one has to start thinking about "The Spa" (there's still some excellent racing ahead at "Beautiful Belmont"). Yet when I think about Saratoga, I think about the only time I visited there, and the story behind it. If you've read this story before (I've told it a few times), please feel free to skip it. You can do that, anyway. It's called: "Cherry Toast".

Cherry Toast

"What kind of jelly would you like on your toast, Sir?" the waitress asked. “What kinds do you have?" I replied. "We have strawberry, grape and our famous cherry. It's made right here in the Glens Falls area," she added. "I'll have the cherry on my toast," I said.

Just the mention of those two words -- "cherry toast" -- brought back a flood of memories. For a moment, I was transported back in time. Back to my college days.
Well, it was my wife’s comment that jarred me out of my trance-like state. "Walt,” she said, as I awakened out of my lethargy, “I've never known you to have cherry jelly.” "Yeah," I said, "I’m having it for old-times sake.”

In 1981, my wife and I took a weekend “vacation” to upstate New York. We made one of those compromises that all couples make over the course of their married life. My wife acceded to my wish to take in Friday's race-card at "The Spa" and the harness racing that evening, if I would spend the rest of the weekend sightseeing and antiquing in the Lake George area. I agreed.

Yet, the thought of that cherry toast at the bed-and-breakfast that morning had brought me back almost twenty years; it was once again the early-1960s.

Nearly forty-five years ago -- August, 1963 -- I was about to enter my senior year at Boston University. Yet, that summer, I had suffered a terrible disappointment. At the time I had been dating this very attractive co-ed when suddenly -- out of the blue -- she said to me: "Walt, we're not right for each other." I was shocked. Taken aback. Not only had I enjoyed Sue's company, but I found her extremely attractive (If you've ever seen the movie, "Something Wild" with Melanie Griffith in that black pageboy wig...well, you get the idea).

Well, I was in a funk. Thankfully, the break-up occurred over the summer. If I had taken place during the school-year, I don't think I could have attended classes. I was that tore up.
One of the ways I dealt with my depressive moods was to go the track. The excitement of the track. The crowds…They perked me up. It was the ultimate diversion. And, when I made money, it was like a balm that soothed-over life's disappointments.

That Saturday, I had gone to NH's Rockingham Park. In hindsight, I should never have gone. I was too unfocused. My mind was totally scattered. I was trying to escape from the pain of the break-up. Under those circumstances, it was foolish to be betting races. Besides, I needed the money for books and tuition for my senior year.

Yet I recall that I had taken $200 with me to the track (in this day and age that may not seem like a lot of money, but for a relatively poor Boston kid, it was a heckuva of lot of money to be bringing to the track).

As I look back, I could do nothing right. Then, I started getting panicky. I started chasing. I was "grasping at straws". I was going "tilt." Thankfully, I did hit one of the later races, but I was still down over $100. When I left Rockingham that afternoon, I kept thinking, "I've got to recoup." But where? I recall shaking my head for a moment and then thinking, "Wonderland."

"Wonderland," of course, was Wonderland Dog Track in Revere, MA -- a stone's throw from Suffolk Downs. I remember driving south toward Boston and then cutting over to the east toward Revere. I recall arriving at the dog track about 6:30 PM.

As I walked into the dog track, I was down over a "C-Note." I desperately needed to get back. Yet, I again continued my foolish betting practices. Quinella after quinella hit the floor. I was now down well over $150. I was fast losing any chance of getting back to even. Panic, again, was setting in.

As I think back, it was about the sixth or seventh race that I spotted a dog, the name I'll never forget --- Cherry Toast. The "bitch" was the number #7 dog in an RC (Revere Course) 3/8ths race. The more I looked at the form, the more I liked this dog.

Moments later, I went to the windows and said, "$20 to win on the number #7." I then handed the teller the 'Double-Saw' and received my $20 win ticket.

A few minutes later, I heard the call: "Now there goes “Swifty” (the lure)." I remember that my #7 dog broke alertly from the outside and was second as they came down the front-straight. As they made the curtain turn and headed for the backstretch, my dog, "Cherry Toast," was now head-and-head with the leader. As the two dogs pushed into the far turn, Cherry Toast had gained the advantage and began pulling away. It was as if -- at that very moment -- a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

I remember letting out with an inaudible scream (sounds like an oxymoron). If I had looked in the mirror, I know my face would have been flushed. Seconds later, the payoffs were posted on the infield tote. Cherry Toast had paid $15.80 to win. I collected $158.

As I think back, I remember playing a couple more races. I ended up the day down about $10. As I left Wonderland, I breathed a sigh of relief. I had survived. My tuition and book-money were still intact.
Just then, it was back to the present. My wife had just snapped me out of my trance-like state. She said, "Walt, are you all right? You seem distant. You look a little flushed. You're not allergic to that cherry jelly." "No Dear, I don't think so," I said. "It's just that the name cherry toast; it brings back so many memories. Some day," I added, "I'll tell you all about it."

I'll be back, later.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
Teach

Race One:
Seven furlongs for state-bred fillies on the Widener gets us started on this mid-afternoon, Friday. I like SPRING FOLLY. This 3 year-old Rahy-bred filly ran an impressive race in her only pari-mutuel start; she finished a fast-closing 3rd. In that one, this New York state-bred filly was languishing near the back of the back; she had only one horse beaten after the quarter pole. Yet, she mounted (I watched the replay several times) a strong closing charge – splitting horses – and angling to the outside to finish extremely well (possibly fastest of all). She was full of run at the wire. Anything resembling that effort against similar caliber horses – and a smaller field -- could easily result in a trip to the winner’s circle. The filly is also stretching out one panel; that’s a serious plus that suits her running style. “The Louisiana Kid,” Kendrick Carmouche, reprises the ride for trainer Mike Dickinson. Dickinson does extremely well with horses making their second career start, albeit with a limited sampling. If this filly runs back to her previous start, she can prevail. Others: , ,

Race Two:
PLANET TRAILBLAZER gets my nod in the second, a one-mile route on the main. This Brazilian-bred chestnut colt was second in her last against similar company at seven panels; today’s added furlong should be to his advantage. This Mr. Prospector-bred should be coming on with a rush in deep stretch. Joel Rosario is in the irons for A.C. Avila. Avila has a good record with horses going from sprints to routes. Others: , ,

Race Three:
In this claiming event, 6 and ˝ panels on the main, my pick is the entry: /, ROCKPORT KAT and BOLITA BOYZ. I believe that both halves of the entry have a shot; it’s “two for the price of one”. It’s two solid jockeys riding for a red-hot trainer, Robertino “Beto” Diodoro. Others: , .

Race Four:
NOW IN A DRIVE is my pick in this turf route. In his previous race, this Tiznow-bred colt finished second in this very same company. Any slight improvement… Trainer Brian Lynch does very well with horses making their third start off a layoff. Lynch, by the way, is having an excellent Belmont meet. Look for this 3 year-old colt to be out and going when the gates open. Joel Rosario (could this be his “red-letter day”?). Others: , ,

Race Five:
SINGAPORE TRADER is my choice in this 2 year-old state-bred MSW sprint. First, Johnny V. and Todd Pletcher are a dynamic combination. Pletcher does very well with horses entered in MSW races. I was particularly impressed by a recent morning work at Monmouth: 4 panels in :47 and a tick, handily. That speaks volumes. At first asking? Others: , ,

Race Six:
SATIN SHEETS is my selection in this 6 and ˝ panels sprint for state-bred fillies, n1x. This Intro Mischief-bred bay filly is making the switch from main to turf. I like that angle. This filly picks up the services of Jose Ortiz. Steve Asmussen is a most capable trainer; he does well with horses entered in sprints. This filly should be in a perfect stalking position. Others: , ,

Race Seven:
I’m going with a longshot: PIRELLONE. I like the fact that this gelding draws outside. I also like the aforementioned turf-to-dirt angle. Trainer Ralph Nicks does extremely well when going from turf to dirt. The most capable Manny Franco is in the irons. Oh, a solid 4-panels morning work bolsters confidence. Others: , ,

Race Eight:
SEIZE is my pick in this turf allowance sprint. I believe this race serves as a wake-up call for this War Front-bred who has been heavily bet in recent starts. This Danzig-bred 4 year-old colt should be out and going when the gates release. “El Dominicano de Santo Domingo,” Joel Rosario, is this colt’s pilot. Monsieur Christophe Clement is the colt’s trainer. Clement does very well with horses that have been beaten favorites. Others: , ,

Race Nine:
In the finale, a 6-panels claiming turf sprint, I’m going with REAL CREEL. This Cozzene-bred colt has faced better; he now cuts back a couple panels (that’s a plus). Another plus are the services of jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. The colt’s trainer is Steve Asmussen; he does well with both shippers and horses making turf starts. This Mizzen Mast-bred should be out and going from his outside starting post. Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: