Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
levinmpa

The Roger Stein Show Finale

After 25+ years on Southern California Radio, The Roger Stein Show aired it's Finale on Sunday, June 25. Roger was a very successfully Harness trainer who converted to training Thoroughbreds on the Southern California circuit. He trained Graded Stakes winners Forty Niner Days and Southern Truce among others. Coincidentally, Santa Anita Park ran the Southern Truce Stakes on Sunday, the same day as his final show. The show aired every weekend morning at 8am Pacific time and over the years featured Sheets handicapper Jon Hardoon, handicapper Aaron Hesz, Las Vegas Oddsmaker and Gambler "Bettor" Bob, The Bloodhorse's Lenny Shulman and writer Mark Ratzky. Roger had many interviews, the day of and/or day after with legendary trainer Bob Baffert. Bob always made time for Roger, even on racing's biggest days. Roger's health has made it difficult him to continue hosting the show and it was announced earlier this year that the show would end on June 25. Mark Ratzky has hosted the show in recent months, with Roger making short appearances. Archived shows can be heard at Rogerstein.com. The last 2 shows feature Mark Ratzky interviewing Roger about how he got started in the racing business and how the radio show came about.

I will miss hearing this show every weekend, and wish Roger the best. Thank you for all your years on the air and for caring so much about the fans and the game.
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
lamboguy

i had met Roger years ago in the mirage in Las Vegas. he was betting horse matchups when they came on the board.

the last i knew of him he had ALS (LOU GHERIG DISEASE).
i only hope that he is comfortable and alert every day and certainly hope for the very best for him.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinmpa View Post
I will miss hearing this show every weekend, and wish Roger the best. Thank you for all your years on the air and for caring so much about the fans and the game.
I had heard he had plans to retire but was unaware exactly what date. I've always had great respect and admiration for that guy. He was always thinking. And, like you I listened faithfully for over ten years each weekend but lost track because he kept switching radio stations.

And, enjoyed most of them.

Wishing him my very best but, if I remember correctly he's only in his 60's. Used to see him in the paddock in a T-shirt.

I think.

I figure he owes me money for getting off Southern Truce just as I was walking up to the window and he stated in an interview that Paseana would be difficult to beat. I switched to Paseana and lost.

But, I heard as you stated that he's had some physical setbacks just a few years ago.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 06-26-2017 at 04:12 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
HPFridays

Saturdays and Sundays at 8 am PST just won't be the same without Roger and his co-hosts n guests. I'd guess that will be two less hours weekly of racing content on AM 830.
HPFridays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
Zaf
Pace Cappa

I have listened every weekend for years. Always enjoyed his shows and his cohorts. I didn't know he has ALS. Wishing Roger all the best and hope he is comfortable. Thanks for all those great radio shows and interviews.

Z
Old 06-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
airford1

Thanks for the enlightenment over the years and God Bless you Roger.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
GMB@BP

Well not sad to see him go...many times I feel like he crossed the line with statements about people he had disagreements with.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Well not sad to see him go...many times I feel like he crossed the line with statements about people he had disagreements with.
That was part of his charm, he was opinionated and spoke his mind. But, I don't think he was verbally abusive towards anyone after all they were his guests.

He was direct. And, always seemed Riled Up and the last time I listened he was Still Riled Up..

I think he would fit in just fine on here. But, I have a feeling he already does.

Whatever happened to Easygoer?

Has he also retired from here?
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I liked to listen to his shows during my drivetime during the week.
Will certainly miss the show.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #10
airford1

He had his pet agenda. Some stories we heard over and over, but I'm sure Roger knew we were not listening the first time he told them.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #11
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post
That was part of his charm, he was opinionated and spoke his mind. But, I don't think he was verbally abusive towards anyone after all they were his guests.

He was direct. And, always seemed Riled Up and the last time I listened he was Still Riled Up..

I think he would fit in just fine on here. But, I have a feeling he already does.

So Roger Stein, who had a radio show mostly about California racing and also allegedly has ALS, was posting on here all hours of the day and night as SRU? Wow, learn something new every day.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #12
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post

Roger didn't/doesn't post here.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #13
dilanesp

The end of an era. When Stein started, there wasn't a lot of venues for serious discussion of horse racing in Southern California. (There were other shows, e.g., Bill Garr's, but they were much more personality-driven and softball. Stein discussed real issues and was hard-hitting.)

I can't say I was a frequent listener, but I listened occcasionally and the show was really good. I got to know Aaron Hesz a fair amount back in the days of AOL-- he's a fun and outspoken character (which made for great radio, whether or not you agreed with him). (And he hated Vic Stauffer long before the owners of this site did. )
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #14
HorsemenHeist

Before there were blogs and twitter, Roger was one of the only hosts willing to discuss the real issues in racing. Did you ever hear about takeout on TVG? Does the Daily Racing Form seriously push back against the many problems in this game? Roger did all of that and had a unique way of presenting. His interviews were top notch all the way to the end with Peter Miller. I have not heard a better interviewer in racing than Roger when it comes to drilling down to real issues that the fans want addressed. And I got a lot of amusement from his opinion of TVG and certain banned race callers. Racing won't be the same without Roger on the air.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #15
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
Before there were blogs and twitter, Roger was one of the only hosts willing to discuss the real issues in racing. Did you ever hear about takeout on TVG? Does the Daily Racing Form seriously push back against the many problems in this game? Roger did all of that and had a unique way of presenting. His interviews were top notch all the way to the end with Peter Miller. I have not heard a better interviewer in racing than Roger when it comes to drilling down to real issues that the fans want addressed. And I got a lot of amusement from his opinion of TVG and certain banned race callers. Racing won't be the same without Roger on the air.
Ditto. Very well written.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: