Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #46
incoming

Congrats to the 'Tiger Man' for a well deserved second. I give him credit for a well fought come from behind charge. Back in the day he was known as a great front runner. At the end of the third round, he generally already had a very big lead. A record that he owns that will never ever be broken, over 24% win rate in all of his professional career. My hat is off for the best ever golfer.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #47
MutuelClerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
Congrats to the 'Tiger Man' for a well deserved second. I give him credit for a well fought come from behind charge. Back in the day he was known as a great front runner. At the end of the third round, he generally already had a very big lead. A record that he owns that will never ever be broken, over 24% win rate in all of his professional career. My hat is off for the best ever golfer.
Jack Nicklaus???
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #48
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
Jack Nicklaus???
Not even close and I'm a huge Nicklaus fan. On his best day, Tiger was head and shoulders better than Jack. Completely fearsome.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #49
Marshall Bennett

He's withstood all the personal and physical problems and shows signs of his former self. He's not that young anymore either.
I always felt he'd do well again, he was just too damn good not to. He's far from being the best, but even his haters should be impressed.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #50
horses4courses

To be at the absolute pinnacle of golf - one of the greats of the game - then to sink as low as he did,
you really have to admire his perseverance and tenacity.
Modern golf is a more interesting spectacle when's he's in contention.

This sets up a terrific Ryder Cup this year.
He has to be a wild card selection without a doubt.
Jim Furyk won't commit to it yet.
I'd hate to be him if he doesn't pick Tiger.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #51
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I've been one of his biggest detractors.
I give him credit...did not think he would return to this level of play. These young guys are sharks and he did very well to keep up with them.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #52
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
To be at the absolute pinnacle of golf - one of the greats of the game - then to sink as low as he did,
you really have to admire his perseverance and tenacity.
Modern golf is a more interesting spectacle when's he's in contention.

This sets up a terrific Ryder Cup this year.
He has to be a wild card selection without a doubt.
Jim Furyk won't commit to it yet.
I'd hate to be him if he doesn't pick Tiger.
Not a chance that Furyk doesn't select Tiger. He and Mickelson are both shoo-ins for selection.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #53
MutuelClerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Not even close and I'm a huge Nicklaus fan. On his best day, Tiger was head and shoulders better than Jack. Completely fearsome.
Agree, it's not close. Jack was better. Tiger was more dominant in a shorter career span. Majors tell the story. Look at how many Jack won and how many times he was second. I believe he played against better competition also. And I respect the hell out of Tiger's career. Just think Jack was better.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #54
tucker6

Quote:
Agree, it's not close. Jack was better. Tiger was more dominant in a shorter career span. Majors tell the story. Look at how many Jack won and how many times he was second. I believe he played against better competition also. And I respect the hell out of Tiger's career. Just think Jack was better.
We'll agree to disagree. Tiger's 24% winning percentage day in and day out against more and better international players than what was present in Jack's day tell the tale. Majors won is one measurement, but when you take a look at the depth of quality in tournament fields, it doesn't measure up at all. I'm a big Jack fan, but I'm not blind either.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #55
Marshall Bennett

I find it hard to compare the two. The eras they played were so different. Particularly the equipment and courses. Strategy of play differed a lot.
Its almost like comparing quarterbacks of today and 50 years ago.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #56
AndyC

Quote:
If you base your analysis strictly on major wins then JN is the leader.

What shorter career span do you refer to? At 40 years old, Tiger had won 79 times and Jack had won 70 times. Jack wasn't much of a threat after 40 outside of the unforgettable 1986 Masters. Jack wasn't even close to the win percentage Tiger achieved.

As for competition, Jack never had to face what Tiger has faced. It was rare to see a large contingent of foreign players at a PGA event when Jack played. Tiger faced the best not only in the majors but also in the WGC events. There were far more people and athletes playing golf in the last 20 years than when Jack played. Teaching technology is vastly superior now. The Web.com tour could not have existed back in Jack's day for lack of quality players.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #57
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
I find it hard to compare the two. The eras they played were so different. Particularly the equipment and courses. Strategy of play differed a lot.
Its almost like comparing quarterbacks of today and 50 years ago.
I think comparisons can be done based on relative dominance. When one player wins at a 25% clip and another at a 17% clip I think that is a significant difference. Players winning at a 3% clip for a lifetime are usually found in the HOF.

Despite changes in equipment, courses, etc. long hitters dominated in Jack's day as much as they do today.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #58
upthecreek

Tiger doesn't take the bait

https://ilovemyfreedom.org/watch-rep..._medium=postup
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #59
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
He shouldn't feel he has to discuss politics in public. Not everything is about politics.

One reason I started the thread about legalizing prostitution is to talk about something other than politics. Although, I wondered how long it would take until someone brought politics into the mix.

Sure enough, someone blamed sex trafficking on democrats. LOL
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #60
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
He's clearly on friendly terms with President Trump. Just can't admit it in today's climate.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: