Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #16
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Guns have been around well before these school massacres started happening with frightening regularity...

But liberals should just keep putting their heads in the sand and crying out about the guns being the problem...
You pulled this logic out of your butt today and have mentioned it at least three times..

The truth is you don't know anything about how many guns kids had access to years and years ago. Sure, in rural communities there were lots of rifles and shotguns, but if some kid brought his rifle to his Nebraska school house in 1937 and shot a couple people, do you think you would know about it?
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #17
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
You pulled this logic out of your butt today and have mentioned it at least three times..

The truth is you don't know anything about how many guns kids had access to years and years ago. Sure, in rural communities there were lots of rifles and shotguns, but if some kid brought his rifle to his Nebraska school house in 1937 and shot a couple people, do you think you would know about it?
So you're saying the news is the problem now? That we're more aware and this kind of thing has always been going on?

Yeah, you're right...that Bath School massacre in the 20s which is the deadliest school massacre in US history (carried out by an adult male with bombs and not guns, by the way) never made the news...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-17-2018 at 03:27 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
But you don't have a gun. Why not?
I don't want one.
Too much work - have to clean them, lock them up, not leave them behind or on your car seat......can't find a snazzy holster, just more to worry about. Beside, I might run into a liberal on the street on day and, as Clocker says, a man's got to know his limitations! Bang Bang!

I don't smoke pot either, but I support legalizing it for those who want to.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #19
Clocker

Quote:

Guns have been around well before these school massacres started happening with frightening regularity...

But liberals should just keep putting their heads in the sand and crying out about the guns being the problem...
Let me plant the seeds of unfounded speculation. How many of those shooters are the children of liberals?
Old 02-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #20
MutuelClerk

This seems to be a perfect middle ground. Which is why it will never work. Party before country and now before school kids. Sweet.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #21
HalvOnHorseracing

I couldn't begin to count the number of high school basketball games I've officiated, and all the schools I've been in. I walk into the school with a sizable bag containing my uniform and toiletries and I've never been checked or gone through a metal detector. I just say, I'm here to referee the varsity game, and they say, fine, I'll show you the dressing room.

Obviously I am no threat, but it's occurred to me more than once that someone with bad intentions could walk into the school on a basketball night, pretend to be an official and start shooting.

I understand school budgets are stretched, but the safety of the students should be a top priority. I put the onus on the school board, not the general government.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #22
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

There's a whole bunch of stuff people could just do if they had evil intentions and not be stopped. Things a lot of you probably have never even thought of...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 02:09 AM   #23
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I couldn't begin to count the number of high school basketball games I've officiated, and all the schools I've been in. I walk into the school with a sizable bag containing my uniform and toiletries and I've never been checked or gone through a metal detector. I just say, I'm here to referee the varsity game, and they say, fine, I'll show you the dressing room.

Obviously I am no threat, but it's occurred to me more than once that someone with bad intentions could walk into the school on a basketball night, pretend to be an official and start shooting.

I understand school budgets are stretched, but the safety of the students should be a top priority. I put the onus on the school board, not the general government.
You could take this up with the schools involved it may be a start.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 05:40 AM   #24
highnote

First, start with the premise that the world is a dangerous place.

Therefore, it behioves everyone to practice situational awareness.

A good place to start is by reading this series of articles from Stratford about how situational awareness can prevent you from being a victim:

https://worldview.stratfor.com/artic...onal-awareness
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #25
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Good points. I flew to Israel a few years before 911. No metal detectors or scanners. The israel's understood security very well. Highly trained. US relies on technology rather than training. I would rather have highly trained security personnel than relying on technology.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
But the kids all have parents who could do something to help out protecting their own kids. Maybe some of them could become the "they" that should do something.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #27
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
But the kids all have parents who could do something to help out protecting their own kids. Maybe some of them could become the "they" that should do something.
Not to shortchange women, but I'm not sure soccer mom's should be the first line of defense. Come to think of it, having soccer dads as the first line of defense would be a mistake, too.

Raising property taxes would probably be the first thing that local politicians would want to do in order to pay for professional security.

Last edited by highnote; 02-18-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #28
lamboguy

i happen to have breakfast every sunday at a restaurant across the street from Boston University. BU has their own police force, every shift has at least 80 officers that carry weapons and they patrol the whole campus. i asked one of them that i have been pretty friendly with for years what they do to stop attacks. he tells me that they are trained to anticipate bad actors walking around and have caught a few of them before they had their chance to do damage. he said the FBI flat out didn't do their jobs on this one. i wonder why we pay these guys the money that they take down every year with all their bullshit.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Not to shortchange women, but I'm not sure soccer mom's should be the first line of defense. Come to think of it, having soccer dads as the first line of defense would be a mistake, too.

Raising property taxes would probably be the first thing that local politicians would want to do in order to pay for professional security.
Bury your kid or pay a little to ensure you never have to worry? Public schools created this environment, a few bucks more for something tangible even passes my anti tax stance. I can name a hundred parents right now who wishes they could go back and pay a little..........

I spent my entire adult life dealing with Security issues and the after the fact preventative discussions are always painful. Rarely is anybody ahead of the game....always behind due to $$$

In the 80’s and 90’s we used to do threat assessments. Until lawyers starting using them in lawsuits against those who ignored them. Now, most organizations are guessing.....

Last edited by JustRalph; 02-18-2018 at 11:37 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #30
highnote

Quote:
It's all very sad...and has NOTHING to do with guns...

And they call Republicans rednecks and dopes?
We have all heard the argument that "guns don't kill people, people kill people". It's a stupid argument, otherwise, every country in the world would have nuclear weapons and the U.S. would do nothing to deter the proliferation of nukes.

This is from the Department of Homeland Security:

"The Ammonium Nitrate Security Program is a proposed regulation developed by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in response to direction from Congress to "regulate the sale and transfer of ammonium nitrate by an ammonium nitrate facility ... to prevent the misappropriation or use of ammonium nitrate in an act of terrorism."

If people kill people then why is the sale of ammonium nitrate regulated? Ammonium nitrate is as harmless as an assault rifle, right? Ammonium nitrate doesn't kill people, right?

Recently, a military veteran engaged in a standoff with police in Houston and managed to fire 212 shots from an AR-15 before he was killed by a SWAT sniper. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/06...12-rounds.html

Imagine if some guy like that opens up fire during rush hour on a Wall Street sidewalk some morning. Or maybe pulls a fire alarm at a school and shoots kids as they exit the building. You can't kill as many people with a knife or a shotgun as you can with a high capacity assault rifle.

Weapons like grenades, tanks, and hand-held ground-to-air missles are regulated for a reason.

There is no reason to own a military-style assault rifle with a high capacity clip. A shotgun is a better weapon for self-protection in the home than an AR-15. I'd even prefer a shotgun over a pistol for self-protection in the home.

Hunters argue that even the best hunters need more than one shot. I argue that if you're real hunter you only need one shot because you don't take the shot unless you are 100% sure you can hit your target. I was raised to shoot a single shot, bolt-action, 22 caliber rifle. By the way... my mom taught me how to shoot. When I hunted rabbits, I never needed a second shot because I never missed. I also never took a shot I knew I couldn't make. I also practiced, practiced, and practiced.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: