Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 08-13-2022, 12:58 PM   #61
UnifiedTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
@Floyd -- somewhere early in this thread I talked about the issue with the #1 horse, but I will mention it again here. With some/all of NCG's programs (and possibly others) information in the data row for the #1 horse is used somewhere else in the code. So HDST v1.1 won't scratch the #1 horse as it will break the handicapping program(s). I called it "safe" mode. HDST v1.2 gives the user the option to enable safe mode, but it is always on in 1.1.

I was informed of the issue with Parx which is what prompted the thread revival and possible update.

@UnifiedTheory -- can you elaborate? The scratch file should always be located in the HDST folder after the download so I am not sure what you meant about it not being found.

I apologize for my misguided question. I often use your scratch tool for older data files that do not have a scratch file for that older date in it's folders so then I naturally have to put the scratches into HDST by hand. But when I get the scratch file on the same day as the data file it naturally works just fine. I often do more research with older data files than anything current so I had a senior moment in forgetting why I've often put scratches in manually.

HDST is a great scratch tool and I'm grateful to have it. Thanks again headhawg!
UnifiedTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2022, 02:10 PM   #62
headhawg
crusty old guy

Thanks for the clarification UnifiedTheory. I was worried that there was some weird bug in the code. Thanks again for the kind words and best of luck to you!
Old 08-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #63
OzYank

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
That's a generic error message I put in when the Equibase file is not downloaded. I have Bitdefender and use its firewall; my guess is that Kaspersky has one too. HDST must have a rule configured in the firewall to allow both inbound and outbound connections in order for the file download to work properly. You can check if that's the problem by temporally pausing Kaspersky, and then clicking the Download the Scratch File button. If it works, you should receive a notification stating that the xml file was successfully downloaded.
G'day - so i have totally removed Kaspersky now that the subscription expired. Just have windows defender on now. Still get the same generic message, have played with the firewall settings to allow inbound/outbound to the exe saved in a documents folder but no love yet. I even turned off the firewall completely and got same message. will continue to add in manually.
Thanks for the tip on firewall to try and help, my setup must not be the norm, or there is something else completely blocking it.
What's the address it will try to go out to or maybe port it uses? maybe that's the actual culprit.
OzYank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #64
OzYank

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzYank View Post
G'day - so i have totally removed Kaspersky now that the subscription expired. Just have windows defender on now. Still get the same generic message, have played with the firewall settings to allow inbound/outbound to the exe saved in a documents folder but no love yet. I even turned off the firewall completely and got same message. will continue to add in manually.
Thanks for the tip on firewall to try and help, my setup must not be the norm, or there is something else completely blocking it.
What's the address it will try to go out to or maybe port it uses? maybe that's the actual culprit.
Just had a thought, I went to equibase where I get my scratches anyway and manually downloaded an xml file. Its named todaysscratchesandchanges.xml so i just saved it to the HDST folder and renamed to scratches.xml and all was good.
OzYank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #65
headhawg
crusty old guy

I was just writing a reply asking you do do just that, OzYank. Glad you found a workaround.

So, it's definitely something about your system as other people seem to be able to use the download feature successfully. One suggestion I can make is to extract the HDST zip file to a different location, preferably in it's own folder on the root of a secondary drive (not on C:\ ). If you can only use C:\ then extract it to the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. As I wrote, the error message is generic and appears whenever HDST cannot download the xml file for any reason. My first reaction was it was a firewall problem but with Windows it's possible that it's something else like folder location.

Tags
hdst, scratch program

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: