Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
ldiatone

Peter Tork,

Peter Tork, a blues and folk musician who became a teeny-bopper sensation as a member of the Monkees, the wisecracking, made-for-TV pop group that imitated and briefly outsold the Beatles, died Feb. 21. He was 77.

The death was announced by his official Facebook page, which did not say where or how he died. Mr. Tork was diagnosed with adenoid cystic carcinoma, a rare cancer affecting his tongue, in 2009.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
The thing about The Monkees is that they were dismissed as fluff back at the height of the psychedelic era but listen to their 60's output today and they sound better than a lot of the "heavier" music of that era.

Peter Tork

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
The thing about The Monkees is that they were dismissed as fluff back at the height of the psychedelic era but listen to their 60's output today and they sound better than a lot of the "heavier" music of that era.

Peter Tork
That can be said for many of that era because you’re listening to the “Wrecking crew”
Old 02-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Ocala Mike

Tribute: https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...deo/vi-BBTUC7F

RIP, Peter Tork.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Old 02-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
HalvOnHorseracing

If you get MEtv I believe the Monkees are on Saturday. Or Sunday. Definitely the weekend.

People may remember the completely unmemorable show, "Circus Boy," starring Mickey Braddock (later Dolenz). My recollection is that he initially had no chops as a drummer, and if you watch the show, his drum playing doesn't threaten Stewart Copeland. I believe he took lessons and became a decent drummer.

I wasn't a really big Monkees TV show fan, but some of their songs have held up pretty well. Mike Nesmith was a real musician as was Peter Tork. I thought Tork played his role well. Davey Jones was a heartthrob, but Tork had a great understated style.

What a terrible cancer Tork had. I fully understand what he went through. Too many names from our younger years are leaving. It's a sobering thought.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply