Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #46
Ocala Mike

Perception is everything - the masses didn't notice the under withholding in their paychecks, and now the effects dawn on them. It will be easy for the Dems to capitalize on this and tie it into the shutdown somehow (delays in processing refunds, etc.).
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #47
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Perception is everything - the masses didn't notice the under withholding in their paychecks, and now the effects dawn on them. It will be easy for the Dems to capitalize on this and tie it into the shutdown somehow (delays in processing refunds, etc.).
Some of my less intelligent employees are pissed because they got to keep more money throughout the year. They just can’t understand “what happen to my tax refund?”

When I explain it to them, they are still pissed. 99% of my employees don’t even pay a dollar in taxes.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #48
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Some of my less intelligent employees are pissed because they got to keep more money throughout the year. They just can’t understand “what happen to my tax refund?”

When I explain it to them, they are still pissed. 99% of my employees don’t even pay a dollar in taxes.
yea they're pissed because they only paid in 5K but didn't get their normal 10K refund
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #49
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
As I said, BS

Unlike the libs, we WANT everyone to share in the freedom.
The freedom that having a job and being able to take care of yourself brings.
Not being dependent on a bunch of lying democrats who have done ZERO for minorities over the years.

And now that we are seeing record employment for some minorities, we are PLEASED that they are now going to be able to improve their lives.

But enjoy your delusions....that is all the two of you have anyways.

Quote:

Let's see now. Patriotic humorist Tommy Boy applauds record GOP miracles in employment of minorities and their fantasticly new and improved lives.

Then we have the biggest Capitalist defender of them all, Ralphie the Great, telling us the ungrateful pugs lucky enough to work in his kitchen don't pay a buck in taxes.

Are these the jobs Tom is bragging about? Are these the jobs Ralph says are great for America and not just Capitalist Ralph?

One more comment. Anybody who thinks Donny Boy is going to endorse any tax plan that does not favor people just like himself the most are "less intelligent" than those employees Ralph is bitching about.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #50
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
Let's see now. Patriotic humorist Tommy Boy applauds record GOP miracles in employment of minorities and their fantasticly new and improved lives.

Then we have the biggest Capitalist defender of them all, Ralphie the Great, telling us the ungrateful pugs lucky enough to work in his kitchen don't pay a buck in taxes.

Are these the jobs Tom is bragging about? Are these the jobs Ralph says are great for America and not just Capitalist Ralph?

One more comment. Anybody who thinks Donny Boy is going to endorse any tax plan that does not favor people just like himself the most are "less intelligent" than those employees Ralph is bitching about.
My kitchen pays pretty good wages, especially for the area. But it’s entry level work. I don’t expect them to raise a family on just these wages, even though most have kids, to their detriment. I pay more than anybody else near me. This is also why they have 2nd jobs and claim so many deductions, they pay no taxes. All are legal too. We use E-verify and a 2nd service built into my payroll system.

Many are re-entering society and we are the only option they have. My kitchen starts at 10 an hour to wash dishes and my top cooks earn just under 15 with a couple in the 17 range because they have other responsibilities.

New players get a raise of a buck at 90 days and .50 cents for the next two 90 day periods as long as they come to work. After a year a dishwasher is making $12 bucks. Most are moving into cooks position by that time, if they want it. Some don’t.

I do a bunch of other stuff for them too. Next year I hope to offer a full health plan. But the budgets really tight on that. It’s touch and go and rates change every month.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #51
NJ Stinks

Quote:

I do a bunch of other stuff for them too. Next year I hope to offer a full health plan. But the budgets really tight on that. It’s touch and go and rates change every month.
Sounds like you are doing good things for your employees, Ralph.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #52
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
My kitchen pays pretty good wages, especially for the area. But it’s entry level work. I don’t expect them to raise a family on just these wages, even though most have kids, to their detriment. I pay more than anybody else near me. This is also why they have 2nd jobs and claim so many deductions, they pay no taxes. All are legal too. We use E-verify and a 2nd service built into my payroll system.

Many are re-entering society and we are the only option they have. My kitchen starts at 10 an hour to wash dishes and my top cooks earn just under 15 with a couple in the 17 range because they have other responsibilities.

New players get a raise of a buck at 90 days and .50 cents for the next two 90 day periods as long as they come to work. After a year a dishwasher is making $12 bucks. Most are moving into cooks position by that time, if they want it. Some don’t.

I appreciate that you are willing to give people second chances. It has actually been nice to see that the POTUS also seems to have an interest in this. Jobs and housing are the best ways to reduce recidivism. Kudos to you!
Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #53
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Sounds like you are doing good things for your employees, Ralph.
Thank you. I’m not a monster. In fact my employees refer to our operation as a family environment. My wife does most of that work by fostering a culture that emphasizes teamwork.

Btw, I have a core group of servers (10) that take home about 5-700 in cash every week. The rest 4-500 (another 10) and also high school kids (5-6) who start at 10 an hour to run the register. They mostly work part time though.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #54
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
the size of the refund checks going out has nothing to do with the size of the tax cuts as stated above
I think most of us here at PA understand that Chad, but for the masses there is a psychological effect of receiving a tax return. Think of Christmas Vacation and how Clark Griswold was anticipating is yearly bonus so that he could install a swimming pool. When the boss cancelled it without telling anybody, he was pissed. This is what is effectively happening with tax refunds; people like that year end bonus, never mind that it really amounted to an interest-free loan to the IRS.

It is going to be easy for the Democrats to use semantics and word play to describe how people got screwed by the tax reform bill. The lesson for me is that I am going to need to revisit my withholding to ensure that I finish break even at the end of the year. I thought that increasing my 457(b) plan would be enough of an offset, but in the end, it was cap on the SALT deduction that got me. Live and learn.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #55
fast4522

Quote:

I can not help but feel that. . . . . .

Donny Boy
Tommy Boy
Ralphie the Great

Can all be accused of working harder in life than you have ever worked. What I take from your garbage rant was JR and his wife provided more jobs to the community and have bragging rights like the movie "It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - IMDb". And who are you to talk about "less intelligent", no one (real numbers) would subscribe to your way of thought unless they fell into that category. A pathetic view of things that you intend to take with you to the grave no doubt.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #56
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Thank you. I’m not a monster. In fact my employees refer to our operation as a family environment. My wife does most of that work by fostering a culture that emphasizes teamwork.

Btw, I have a core group of servers (10) that take home about 5-700 in cash every week. The rest 4-500 (another 10) and also high school kids (5-6) who start at 10 an hour to run the register. They mostly work part time though.
Jeez, you sound that you are running a going concern down there in Houston.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #57
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
I appreciate that you are willing to give people second chances. It has actually been nice to see that the POTUS also seems to have an interest in this. Jobs and housing are the best ways to reduce recidivism. Kudos to you!
We work with the state. They offer us money, but I don’t even fill out the paperwork. Maybe some day I might need it, but not right now. A grand an employee. I skip it. I was going to do it and give it to the employees as a bonus. But the State heard about that and threw a fit. They howled.

We have about a 65% success rate. Usually if they make it a month, they stay. I have about 10 out of 60 that used to “work for the state”

We have had some move on to some pretty good jobs after working with us for a year or so. We’re very proud of them. They keep in touch.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #58
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
I can not help but feel that. . . . . .

Donny Boy
Tommy Boy
Ralphie the Great

Can all be accused of working harder in life than you have ever worked. What I take from your garbage rant was JR and his wife provided more jobs to the community and have bragging rights like the movie "It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - IMDb". And who are you to talk about "less intelligent", no one (real numbers) would subscribe to your way of thought unless they fell into that category. A pathetic view of things that you intend to take with you to the grave no doubt.
My apologies for stepping into your pissing match with NJ Stinks, but I did want to point out that it was Ralph who used the term "less intelligent" when referring to some of his employees. I note this just in case you care to correct that.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #59
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
My apologies for stepping into your pissing match with NJ Stinks, but I did want to point out that it was Ralph who used the term "less intelligent" when referring to some of his employees. I note this just in case you care to correct that.
I probably should have found a better expression. I get along with NJ even though we are diametrically opposed on many issues. I respect his opine especially on taxes etc (his prior profession I believe) and we usually do alright. I know your post above was not directed at me.........but thought I could add the above to the conversation to ramp it down a little.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #60
AndyC

Quote:
I think most of us here at PA understand that Chad, but for the masses there is a psychological effect of receiving a tax return. Think of Christmas Vacation and how Clark Griswold was anticipating is yearly bonus so that he could install a swimming pool. When the boss cancelled it without telling anybody, he was pissed. This is what is effectively happening with tax refunds; people like that year end bonus, never mind that it really amounted to an interest-free loan to the IRS.

It is going to be easy for the Democrats to use semantics and word play to describe how people got screwed by the tax reform bill. The lesson for me is that I am going to need to revisit my withholding to ensure that I finish break even at the end of the year. I thought that increasing my 457(b) plan would be enough of an offset, but in the end, it was cap on the SALT deduction that got me. Live and learn.
Wouldn't increasing your 457(b) also decrease your withholding? The withholding tables are based on taxable wages and not gross wages.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: