Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #16
airford1

In the last 20 years Santa Anita has been installing new turf every 3rd year and still don't have it right. This is California and they can't afford to put the water on it that it needs. 3 weeks into the meet and it looks like Gulfstream with all the sand being kicked up.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #17
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Well, much of the rest of the world runs on turf and runs a couple of days a week. That would suggest it isn't impossible to do.
are any of those 6 month meets?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #18
ultracapper

The threats to Santa Anita's existence have been loud and clear for years now. The Stronach camp has commented many times that that particular piece of property must ultimately reflect it's value. Ritvo echoed that continually when he became stationed there. "Highest and best use" or "maximized value" wasn't something I remember ever hearing, but it's clear they want that piece of property to carry it's weight.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #19
chiguy

Couple of things, much of the rest of the world also gets lots of natural watering from the sky and many places while they race for a couple or few days in a row also then get weeks off for the turf to repair.

With Stronach recently announcing an increase in his involvement in Cal Breds and moving some breeding operations here, I have to believe that he wouldn't be doing that with an eye towards closing Santa Anita. I could see knocking down the grandstand, building something smaller and using some of the land in the parking lots for a mixed used complex.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #20
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
Couple of things, much of the rest of the world also gets lots of natural watering from the sky and many places while they race for a couple or few days in a row also then get weeks off for the turf to repair.

With Stronach recently announcing an increase in his involvement in Cal Breds and moving some breeding operations here, I have to believe that he wouldn't be doing that with an eye towards closing Santa Anita. I could see knocking down the grandstand, building something smaller and using some of the land in the parking lots for a mixed used complex.
The thing is, SA actually draws big crowds on the big racedays. So knocking down the grandstand, in addition to drawing fire from perservationist groups, isn't really a great idea unless he is going to close the plant entirely.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #21
airford1

The big crowds are far and few these days and a big crowd is 24,000 we don't see the 35,000 to 60,000 that were there 25 to 30 years ago. As far as bring breeding operations to California, I think that is a last ditch effort to put horses in the barns and as soon as Frank passes away the property will be high density housing with the growth off mass transit. Should of seen the place in the 70s and 80s. Nothing like it.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #22
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
The big crowds are far and few these days and a big crowd is 24,000 we don't see the 35,000 to 60,000 that were there 25 to 30 years ago. As far as bring breeding operations to California, I think that is a last ditch effort to put horses in the barns and as soon as Frank passes away the property will be high density housing with the growth off mass transit. Should of seen the place in the 70s and 80s. Nothing like it.
Santa Anita at one time was a pare shared reit. i think the property lost that status when Abe Gosman owned the place and Clinton got rid of that grandfathered in loophole. Gosman owned the race track but didn't run it, inside that he owned LaQuita Inns and a very large healthcare company called Mediplex. he lost everything when he lost the status.

at the time he owned the property i knew there were provisions that the land where the race track is could never be developed or used for anything other than a race track. is there something that has changed since then?
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #23
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

I don't believe SA will ever get bulldozed. It is a designated historical landmark because of its involvement with WWII.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #24
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
I don't believe SA will ever get bulldozed. It is a designated historical landmark because of its involvement with WWII.
I said this back in the Saratoga thread, but that means little. Soldier Field was a hisoric landmark and the Bears tore it apart.

Nobody is going to force Stronach to maintain a defunct racetrack.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #25
Al Gobbi

More changes apparently on the horizon at Santa Anita
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply