Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #31
Fred Mertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The way the game is played today...the win-pools are just as "blind" as the other pools.
I visited my Dad in NJ last week and went to Freehold Raceway with my boyhood friend.

I boxed the two faves in an exacta early on, when they weren't favorites.

Son of a gun, I won! My $4 bet paid $4.40. Tough game. What can I buy for forty cents?
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #32
PIC6SIX

Wink

Maybe your time would have been better spent learning how to make good spaghetti and sauce. Then you would not have to eat ravioli out of a can!! I will send you some tomatoes from my organic garden so you can get started on the sauce.
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #33
airford1

Only in America..............I have a Dream, to be a horse player and not have a real job. Good luck with that Russ.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #34
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Russ View Post
I do my best to play only when I perceive value, but that part is tough. Was 1/5 on Unique Bella yesterday fair value? Maybe. That's a 20% profit. I've used some conditional betting tools, but it's not my preference, and it might be that I have not evolved to that level of automation. I can say that things got much better for me once I improved my strike rate significantly. Part of that is shorter fields, part is record keeping and review, and some is just fitting my play style to my personality. I prefer short losing streaks, and I've structured my game to match my psyche. I prefer to cover a lot of tracks, but not to spend time structuring vertical and horizontal plays. Not that there is anything wrong with approaching the game from that angle. It's just not for me, at least for now. My brain is old. I prefer things more simple.
Good thread. This sentence caught my attention as this sums up my approach also. As a perfectionist, horse race handicapping is a strange bedfellow, but I know the guy in the mirror very well, and he hates losing. I've learned that perfection in this game is just long term black numbers, nothing more. If your strike rate matches Altuve's batting average, you're at the top of your game, just as he is.

Love Thask's new tag line. He is a man that appreciates the intracacies of the human experience. Proven it many times on here.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #35
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Good thread. This sentence caught my attention as this sums up my approach also. As a perfectionist, horse race handicapping is a strange bedfellow, but I know the guy in the mirror very well, and he hates losing. I've learned that perfection in this game is just long term black numbers, nothing more. If your strike rate matches Altuve's batting average, you're at the top of your game, just as he is.
IMO...the main thing to realize in this game is that our betting style must match our temperament and personality. It does us no good to handicap and wager "optimally"...if this conflicts with our psychological makeup.

Truth be told...I too started off in this game as a "perfectionist who hated to lose". But, since my strike rate has always matched Kyle Schwarber's batting average...I've had to get used to longer than "normal" losing streaks. Because of my stubbornness, mine was a case where my personality eventually changed to accommodate my betting style. It's a costly way of doing things...and it's hardly recommended.

I am glad that you liked my Epictetus tagline. I felt that it was especially applicable in the online setting that we find ourselves here.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: