Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Al Gobbi

Santa Anita requests option of seven-race programs

Quote:
ARCADIA, Calif. – Santa Anita has requested the option to run seven-race programs at its discretion on weekdays during a 102-day meeting from Dec. 26 to June 24, 2018, according to documents filed with the California Horse Racing Board.

The track’s operating license application for the season is scheduled for a hearing at the racing board’s monthly meeting Thursday at Santa Anita.

Santa Anita’s license application states the track will run seven to nine races on weekdays and nine to 12 on most weekends, holidays, and on opening day. There also is a request to run from nine to 14 races on major racing days coinciding with high-profile events such as the Santa Anita Handicap, Santa Anita Derby, or Triple Crown. Earlier this year, the track ran 11 races on those days.
http://www.drf.com/news/santa-anita-...-race-programs
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
RunForTheRoses

I guess it is a sign of the times with the horse shortage. I don't like these small programs with 8 races the P5, early and late P4s overlap.I'd rather they ran less days.

Last edited by RunForTheRoses; 10-23-2017 at 02:23 PM.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

In California, Golden Gate was running 7-race cards not too long ago as I recall.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
In California, Golden Gate was running 7-race cards not too long ago as I recall.

Yeah,that's right. And Monmouth @Meadowlands had a paltry 6 a fewnights.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Monmouth @ MED has been running 6 race cards for years now I think...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
dilanesp

I really don't understand why running a 7 race card is better than just shuttering the track that day and running more races on the weekends.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

They probably make more on admissions and concessions and wagering on simulcasts this way.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I really don't understand why running a 7 race card is better than just shuttering the track that day and running more races on the weekends.
Wait for it, it's coming.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Makes sense.
SA/GG 7&7 - alternate races.
Pic 4 at both tracks, DD at both tracks..better than 4 and 5 horse fields.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #10
airford1

How can the work force be supported from 3 days of racing? The Property is worth a TON of money and we have heard people tell us Santa Anita is rolling in money based on them seeing one day with 25,000 people on opening day. Put a fork in west coast racing and Santa Anita.
We have radio stations with 3 or 4 sponsors, i would like to see them (Radio) try to develop new business by giving air time that is not sold at a cut rate price. Run adds and get payed from a % of increased attendance. Though, because both L.A. Radio and fan based venues are struggling in L.A. California.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 12:16 AM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
How can the work force be supported from 3 days of racing? The Property is worth a TON of money and we have heard people tell us Santa Anita is rolling in money based on them seeing one day with 25,000 people on opening day. Put a fork in west coast racing and Santa Anita.
We have radio stations with 3 or 4 sponsors, i would like to see them (Radio) try to develop new business by giving air time that is not sold at a cut rate price. Run adds and get payed from a % of increased attendance. Though, because both L.A. Radio and fan based venues are struggling in L.A. California.
Santa Anita was making money before the past year or so, but they had a very bad yeat.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:20 AM   #12
SandyW

I'm sure Santa Anita is going broke charging $8.00 for a beer and $6.50 for hot dogs. The greed is beyond belief.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #13
airford1

Hello? Have any of you been to Santa Anita in the last 5 years? The place is EMPTY. They would have to charge 100 dollars a beer to cover the cost. Everybody coming in is on a comp ticket. Like it or not it's over. Food Trucks in the infield won't save it.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #14
chiguy

I think it would be difficult to staff the front side if they went to three day racing. I would think, but I am no expert, that it would have a negative impact on the track, specifically the turf course to run so many races in a shorter time period. Maybe somebody with more knowledge could comment on that.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
I think it would be difficult to staff the front side if they went to three day racing. I would think, but I am no expert, that it would have a negative impact on the track, specifically the turf course to run so many races in a shorter time period. Maybe somebody with more knowledge could comment on that.
Well, much of the rest of the world runs on turf and runs a couple of days a week. That would suggest it isn't impossible to do.