Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #16
Ocala Mike

But is the bromance over? Macron seemed to be trying to carve up Trumpism in that speech like Jacques Pepin working on a turkey.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #17
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I don't think I've ever seen anyone with two red dots...I wonder why?
I wonder why you think I would care.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:25 PM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
I wonder why you think I would care.
Irrelevant whether you care or not.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #19
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Move to France?? And give up his fat, protected and forever guaranteed pension with his subsidized health care insurance -- paid for the world's biggest sucker(s), the US tax payer(s).
Amazing how many things you got wrong in such a short space. First of all, I have no intention of moving to France, although that would be better than moving to your block.

If I did move there, why would you think I would have to give up my pension? Nothing in that pension says that I cease to collect it if I leave the country. Direct Deposit works in any country which has banks. Pretty sure France has banks.

My pension is protected as it should be, but I am sure that you prefer that companies be able to steal pensions from their workers. Or maybe you are jealous of the fact that I have a pension. Which is not guaranteed forever; only until I die.

Apparently you do not know something which everyone who has gone passed seventh grade knows. The United States Postal Service is not supported by Tax money. It is supported by the money people pay for stamps, postage and other services the post office provides. That means no body subsidized my health care, or my pension or my salary. No one subsidized my vacation pay or my sick leave. I earned all of those by working forty hours a week for over forty five years. Forty hours or more.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:43 PM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You're a legend dude
Old 04-25-2018, 11:10 PM   #21
horses4courses

horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 06:30 AM   #22
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Apparently you do not know something which everyone who has gone passed seventh grade knows. The United States Postal Service is not supported by Tax money. It is supported by the money people pay for stamps, postage and other services the post office provides. That means no body subsidized my health care, or my pension or my salary. No one subsidized my vacation pay or my sick leave. I earned all of those by working forty hours a week for over forty five years. Forty hours or more.
Umm, apparently you do not know something which everyone who has gone past the 7th grade knows...

http://fortune.com/2015/03/27/us-postal-service/

American taxpayers subsidize the USPS at a rate that surpasses the costs associated with any Congressional mandate. He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually.

And stop with the "earned' comments. I go to the post office every now and again, and you guys certainly do NOT earn what you make.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #23
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post

OccupyDemocrats sounds like something out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Can't you guys come up with names without using "occupy'? It's like the 1970's when you guys had to use "Liberation" in every cause. Why don't you try to occupy a job for once.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #24
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Umm, apparently you do not know something which everyone who has gone past the 7th grade knows...

American taxpayers subsidize the USPS at a rate that surpasses the costs associated with any Congressional mandate. He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually.

And stop with the "earned' comments. I go to the post office every now and again, and you guys certainly do NOT earn what you make.
Mostie's response is the same of every entitlement recipient. The will tell you until there blue in the face(pun intended) that they deserve what the get, and have earned it, and it is owed to them. You will never get anyone one the "dole" to admit it.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #25
Clocker

Quote:
OccupyDemocrats sounds like something out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Can't you guys come up with names without using "occupy'? It's like the 1970's when you guys had to use "Liberation" in every cause. Why don't you try to occupy a job for once.
Some people have no imagination and very little real world experience, so they have to use the few concepts that they have experienced. These are likely the same folks who were in Occupy Wall Street. Since that flopped and fizzled, they have been living in their parents' basements, playing video games and tweeting each other about how unfair the world is.

The name is appropriate because so many on the left are so empty-headed, it is easy for someone to come along and occupy their mind.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Democrats have empty heads, so maybe they are advertising to rent them out?

I know horsey meant that meme as an insult, but I can't figure out how? Anyone have a Lib/English English/Lib dictionary?

Of those 1,000 words, can anyone suggest maybe 10-20 of them????
Old 04-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #27
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Democrats have empty heads, so maybe they are advertising to rent them out?
Rent? Squatters don't pay rent for an empty, unused building. They just move in and occupy it.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #28
mostpost

Quote:

I'm talking about actual tax payer subsidies to the postal service. You, and Mr. Shapiro are talking about advantages. None of those are actual monetary payments, but lets look at each of his claims.

Laws that ban any other shipping service from delivering letters and packages directly to and residential and business mailboxes.
This true only if you use the word mailboxes rather than addresses. UPS cannot put a package in your mailbox, but it can leave it between your screen door and your door; it can leave it on your porch; it can ring your door bell. UPS and FedEx can both deliver time sensitive letters to your address. The only thing they cannot do is deliver regular mail.

Also, where does Shapiro get this $14b figure? Besides out of his rectum.
And why is his estimate any more accurate than the one made by the Postal Regulatory Commission. In case you don't know, the PRC is not particularly friendly to USPS. Maybe the reason USPS productivity gains are 0.7% compared to 2.5% for the others is because USPS is more efficient to begin with.

Tax Breaks. USPS is exempt from local property and real estate taxes as well as other taxes and fees.
Correct. All federal properties are. You've heard of the Constitution, right? You've heard of McCullough v Madison? That's the one that gives us the dictum, "The power to tax involves the power to destroy." The federal government and any of its aspects can not be subject to the whims of it's inferiors.

A word about parking tickets and other traffic violations. A postal truck will not get a parking ticket for parking in a no parking zone while delivering packages or picking up from a collection box; neither will a UPS or FedEx truck. This is a matter of law, but were it not the police are going to look the other way as long as you do not abuse the situation.

While it is true that postal vehicles can not be charged with traffic violation by local authorities, it is also true that every postal driver is strictly instructed to obey all traffic laws and if you die in a traffic accident, you stay dead.

A story that will upset you greatly. I was on my way home from work in my private vehicle. I was still in the town in which the PO I work at was located.

I had taken a different route home because I needed to stop at a store. Somehow I missed a stop sign and was pulled over. The cop who pulled me over had a reputation locally as a real hard nose. He was about to write the ticket when he looked at me and said, "Where do I know you from?" I told him that I was the window clerk at the Post Office and that he often came in there. He said oh yeah and told me to be more careful in the future.

Finally this nonsense about you go the Post Office once and again, Likes this proves anything. Do you go to the Post Office at three in the morning and watch them unload forty and fifty pound sacks from trucks. Do you watch them sort eighteen letters and eight flats a minute for two or three hours straight. You don't even know what a flat is. Do you walk with them five or six hours a day in freezing cold, blistering heat, pouring rain or snow.

TELL ME. WHAT DO YOU DO? WHAT IS YOUR JOB THAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO JUDGE OTHERS? I eagerly await your reply but I don't expect I will ever get it.

ETA: I do all my grocery shopping at the same locally owned store. Sometimes I go in their and the checkout ladies are standing at their registers just waiting for the next customer. I never think that they are lazy bums stealing their pay checks. I understand that there will be many times when they will be extremely busy.

The difference is I don't need to put someone else to feel good about mayself

Last edited by mostpost; 04-26-2018 at 01:01 PM.
mostpost is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #29
wisconsin

Mostie, in reply to your last comments, I have been to Post Offices in many parts of the country, to mail postcards, etc, and have encountered so many surely, miserable, feet shuffling clerks I have felt like I was at a racetrack, and it's more common than you will ever admit.

The local post office does not even really sort mail anymore, it goes from my town 30 miles into Milwaukee and back the next day.

There are many pleasant workers, too, but even locally, there are are couple who never smile at the counter.

On top of that, we all know where the Post Office is, so why the need to buy expensive airtime during sporting events? I can overnight via FedEx or UPS for $10 less than the Postal Service anytime.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #30
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Mostie, in reply to your last comments, I have been to Post Offices in many parts of the country, to mail postcards, etc, and have encountered so many surely, miserable, feet shuffling clerks I have felt like I was at a racetrack, and it's more common than you will ever admit.

The local post office does not even really sort mail anymore, it goes from my town 30 miles into Milwaukee and back the next day.

There are many pleasant workers, too, but even locally, there are are couple who never smile at the counter.

On top of that, we all know where the Post Office is, so why the need to buy expensive airtime during sporting events? I can overnight via FedEx or UPS for $10 less than the Postal Service anytime.
Hey Wisconsin, hope you are doing well. I am not saying that there are no lazy or surly postal clerks. In my 28 years at the Bellwood Post Office we had a few.
You should know that they were just as surly and miserable with their co-workers as they were with the public. But the majority of the clerks, in fact more than 90% were courteous and friendly; and knowledgeable.

I have encountered surly, unmotivated workers at the gas station, at restaurants, at the movies, just about everywhere. But I never considered them to me more than a small percentage of the total work force at those companies.

In other words, these traits are personal traits and have nothing to do with a person's occupation.

I have not seen you or spoken to you in person in some time, but I assume you are still working at the car dealership. Let me ask you this; if I come in to your dealership or any dealership and find five or six sales persons standing around gossiping, should I assume you are all ne'er do wells?