Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #16
PowerUpPaynter

PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #17
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Ummmm.... I'm going to go with no. All tracks do not play the same. All gate breaks do not play the same. Field sizes would be different. Just no.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #18
f2tornado

Quote:
Or the figure for the Santa Anita is garbage.

Published Beyer figures are the result of routine adjustment based on subjective interpretation of the raw figure. Beyer himself said this about Bolt's performance in the FrontRunner...

“But if Bolt d’Oro ran a 113, the colts finishing 2-3-4 would have earned figures of 100, 96 and 91. Each of the top four finishers would have improved between 16 and 28 points over his previous career best. My experience in making figures tells me that such a scenario is almost unbelievable.”

Maybe he's right but unbelievable does not mean it's a fact. Maybe Beyer needs an open mind.

Last edited by f2tornado; 04-25-2018 at 01:32 PM.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #19
PowerUpPaynter

Anyone have hard data to prove or disprove the Santa Anita surface being very slow?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #20
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post

Published Beyer figures are the result of routine adjustment based on subjective interpretation of the raw figure. Beyer himself said this about Bolt's performance in the FrontRunner...

“But if Bolt d’Oro ran a 113, the colts finishing 2-3-4 would have earned figures of 100, 96 and 91. Each of the top four finishers would have improved between 16 and 28 points over his previous career best. My experience in making figures tells me that such a scenario is almost unbelievable.”

Maybe he's right but unbelievable does not mean it's a fact. Maybe Beyer needs an open mind.
How come Santa Anita turf horses are getting so low of figures but are running final times much faster than a few years ago...yet they ship and lose (see Kee last couple weeks)

I dont get it, please explain. The raw times are so fast.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post

Every reputable figure maker I've seen has that as the fastest prep race.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #22
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
How come Santa Anita turf horses are getting so low of figures but are running final times much faster than a few years ago...yet they ship and lose (see Kee last couple weeks)

I dont get it, please explain. The raw times are so fast.
I don't follow SA turf horses much but I concur insofar as the few clocks I've seen have been respectable. I cannot speak for their shipping figures and therefore will refrain from answering the question.

For what it's worth, I can also state with some confidence the wet sealed track at SA is running quicker than the fast track. I don't deny a surface impacts running times. I'm merely skeptical the main track is suddenly a full 2.2 seconds slower that in was in 2014. I'm all ears if someone has some insight to a change in track maintenance there that would cause this precipitous decline.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #23
jay68802

Santa Anita slowed their track to try and reduce fatal break downs. They are using a lot less clay in the soil mixture now.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #24
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Santa Anita slowed their track to try and reduce fatal break downs. They are using a lot less clay in the soil mixture now.
They have also been adding material to the top mix in an effort to provide more cushion, this started about 4-5 years ago but every year its been altered.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #25
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
They have also been adding material to the top mix in an effort to provide more cushion, this started about 4-5 years ago but every year its been altered.
Well at least now they know the mixture for both a fast and slow track.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Anyone have hard data to prove or disprove the Santa Anita surface being very slow?
Just for you , and I do this each year to make sure figs aren't drifting astray anyway, I checked all the shippers into and out of Santa Anita in 2018 that ran on dirt at a similar distance, within a furlong.

I had 65 horses shipping out, 18 shipping in.

Horses shipping out had an average speed figure change of +1 point (faster) and the median was 0. That is just about perfect.

Horses shipping in (small sample) had an average speed figure change of +1 (also faster) and the median was also 1 faster.

One point in either direction is insignificant. The horses running on the slower dirt at Santa Anita are not being overrated in my sample. Those shipping out are running similar speed figures, and those shipping in are not jumping up like they would be if the SA horses were rated too highly.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #27
SkunkApe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Just for you , and I do this each year to make sure figs aren't drifting astray anyway, I checked all the shippers into and out of Santa Anita in 2018 that ran on dirt at a similar distance, within a furlong.

Horses shipping out had an average speed figure change of +1 point (faster) and the median was 0. That is just about perfect.

Horses shipping in (small sample) had an average speed figure change of +1 (also faster) and the median was also 1 faster.

One point in either direction is insignificant. The horses running on the slower dirt at Santa Anita are not being overrated in my sample. Those shipping out are running similar speed figures, and those shipping in are not jumping up like they would be if the SA horses were rated too highly.
Good work. Thanks.
SkunkApe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #28
dballard125

After watching all of the preps, and looking at the data that I have available, I won’t be playing Bolt on top of any of my tickets. I just have the feeling 10f isn’t going to be in his wheelhouse. Maybe I’m wrong and it bites me in the ass, but you gotta stand with a lot of these horses.
dballard125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #29
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Well at least now they know the mixture for both a fast and slow track.
check pm
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #30
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

awesome! with that said Bolt is a major player. there really is nothing to suggest he is distance limited and a longer stretch run should only benefit him.

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 04-26-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: