Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 08-19-2018, 12:26 AM   #46
Light
Veteran

The problem with all handicapping books is the examples given are all anecdotal, not statistical. And that's by design because the authors know, they will never hold up.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #47
FakeNameChanged

Hcp Race 1 at Laurel

Attempting to use Calibr. H'capping.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...85#post2357385
Old 08-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #48
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Hello Folks, I've worked with Jim Lehane a bit over the years (adapted some of his 'moves' to markups in RDSS PP displays). I sent him an email yesterday. He wrote me back today, granting permission to put the PDF version of his Calibration Handicapping in the public domain and available for free download from the Sartin Methodology Library.

Here is the link:http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7100

Ted
To those who download this and feel that the book was worthwhile and/or useful, you might consider sending something (i.e. $25 - $50) to Jim as a way of saying thanks. I'm sure Jim and/or Ted could provide a PayPal address Just my two cents.

I still have my copy of Calibration Handicapping. It's several years old, and I re-read it once in a while to refresh my mind of its contents.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #49
Ted Craven

It's a great sentiment Pete. I don't speak for Jim, but don't want to collect money. I could suggest folks can express their gratitude for any value by a donation to the Disabled Jockey Fund, or their local equine retirement or rehabilitation organization. Or wherever else.

And, value is in the eye of the beholder.

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #50
FakeNameChanged

Race 4 at Del 8/29

$58.80 winner in selections thread.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...05#post2362805
Old 08-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #51
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
$58.80 winner in selections thread.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...05#post2362805

Nice!
Old 08-30-2018, 12:49 AM   #52
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I can tell you guys this much, Jim Lehane is as stand up a guy as you will find.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #53
shoelessjoe

Jim's favorite charity is St Jude's Hospital for Children
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #54
OverlayHunter

Quote:
$58.80 winner in selections thread. Race 4 Del 1 & 7 both are dual Calibr Hcp plays 8/29
Whosonfirst, by "dual" are you referring to the "Double Play" on Page 67 or does "dual" refer to something else in the book?
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #55
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter View Post
Whosonfirst, by "dual" are you referring to the "Double Play" on Page 67 or does "dual" refer to something else in the book?
Maybe I'm using a term that Jim Lehane doesn't use. I meant that they were both dual qualified, by having a made a Turn/Move in his last race and also a Stretch Move, having gained in both parts of last race. In the case of the 58.80 winner, he also had a nice speed improvement which is something I look for over his previous race, but I didn't want to call him a triple qualifier, since Calibration Hcp. doesn't use speed ratings in that way. I do like using either Late Pace (Bris) or final fraction to separate multiple contenders.
I believe Jim calls a double play when horse has the best last out Beyer and best final fraction. While a powerful angle, it often leads to favorites.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #56
OverlayHunter

Thank you for the clarification.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #57
CheckMark

Not to spoil anyone’s day or anything but I keep trying to do this method and I can’t find any winners, not even one! Can someone else explain me this method, would like to try something new. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:54 AM   #58
tshinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I have this book...and I'd be more than willing to sell my copy. The problem is that there is no listing for it anywhere on the internet...and I have no idea what price to ask for it. Is anyone out there willing to make me an offer?

One more thing:

During the long period of time that I've been here, I've seen this book mentioned more than a few times...and whenever that happens, everyone here, without exception, showers the book with the sort of praise that we seldom see in connection with a handicapping book. I don't think that even a single person here -- other than me -- has ever made a negative comment of any sort about this book. And yet, whenever a poster requests to buy a copy...no one here ever seems to have a copy to sell. How can a handicapping book that has gotten so many glorious reviews be so hard to locate whenever a customer comes around looking to buy a copy? Is this book really so valuable that no one wants to part with his treasured copy...at ANY price? Is anyone here really using this book as a guide in his current handicapping?

In case there is someone out there who actually has this book, and takes offense at my "criticism" of it...I'd like him to do me a favor before he "sets me straight" about the book's value as a 'handicapping guide'. Would he please turn to page 15-16 of the book, and explain something to me:

There is a race featured there where Jim Lehane takes credit for selecting the eventual winner (Romancer)...who ended up paying $58.50 to win. Lehane selected Romancer as a win-contender off of the horse's last race, where the horse finished 8th by 9.5 lengths, while never running better than 6th or within 6 lengths of the winner at any point in the race...earning a Beyer figure of 39 in the process. And yet, in this same example race, there is a horse on the rail named Diablo's Caper, who ran in the very same race as Romancer last out...and Diablo's Caper led every step of the way until losing by half a length at the wire, while earning a Beyer figure of 62. And this, after the horse BROKE THROUGH THE GATE in that last start. But Diablo's Caper...who defeated Romancer by 9 lengths in their last start...didn't even make Lehane's contender-list in this example race. There is yet another horse in this example race (Battle Cat) who also shows a half-length defeat in its last start, while earning a Beyer figure of 67. And this horse too failed to make Lehane's contender-list...while the soundly beaten horse with the 39 Beyer emerged as a "sound wager". I mean...if Lehane listed these 2 sharp horses as contenders, and then proceeded to eliminate them by some other means...then I would understand. But to cross out these 2 sharper-looking horses at first glance, right from the OUTSET, while accepting the trounced horse as a legitimate contender...is disingenuous to say the least.

This isn't "Next Level" handicapping, IMO...regardless of what Lehane states on the book's cover.
I have the book, tried the method for about six months - better than nothing, but pales in comparison to Pizzola.
tshinder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: