Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-04-2024, 06:18 PM   #1
PalaceOfFortLarned

Broncos Release Russell Wilson: $85M Salary Cap Hit

Wow.

Still, the Broncos will take on $85 million in total dead salary cap over the next two years by releasing Wilson, which will be the largest dead cap hit in NFL history.

https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-inf...ll-be-released
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2024, 06:35 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

Anyone have any insight on what went wrong? I did not see him play much in Denver.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2024, 06:36 PM   #3
46zilzal
velocitician

Takes gust, BUT it was necessary
Old 03-04-2024, 06:53 PM   #4
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Anyone have any insight on what went wrong? I did not see him play much in Denver.
I'm completely stunned to be honest.

He is a 9 time Pro Bowler with a Super Bowl win under his belt.

Obviously his salary made him un-tradeable. I have little doubt they didn't at least attempt calling other teams, and were likely laughed at to trade for him.

He'll undoubtedly end up on some team's roster, but this may surpass the Herschel Walker trade as the worst ever in NFL history.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2024, 07:15 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
I'm completely stunned to be honest.

He is a 9 time Pro Bowler with a Super Bowl win under his belt.

Obviously his salary made him un-tradeable. I have little doubt they didn't at least attempt calling other teams, and were likely laughed at to trade for him.

He'll undoubtedly end up on some team's roster, but this may surpass the Herschel Walker trade as the worst ever in NFL history.

I think I saw Wilson play with Denver one or two times, I kind of remember him being up and down. I think OJ Simpson to the 49ers deserves mention as a bad trade. I cannot believe how quickly they recovered from that debacle.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:47 PM   #6
mountainman

Statistics lie. I'll take Sean Payton's implied opinion Of Wilson over QBR ratings without hesitation.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2024, 09:20 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Statistics lie. I'll take Sean Payton's implied opinion Of Wilson over QBR ratings without hesitation.

I think the newer QBR which was invented I believe by ESPN is a joke.

Also you often have to be objective with stats, many guys look a lot better on the stat sheet than on the field, Kirk Cousins rings the bell on that one.
When he was with Washington he was good for at least one bonehead play at the worst possible time with the game on the line. He did not have a good record in important games either.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM   #8
davew

Russell was injured the last couple years at Seattle and last year was spotty.

When Russell moved to Denver, he did not fit well with their current offense.
He did not get along well with coaches (got the first one replaced)
Injuries plagued him and did not do very well this last year.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2024, 01:16 PM   #9
jimmyb

Ditka trading New Oreans entire 1999 draft and a #1 and #3 in 2000 for Ricky Williams has to be the worst trade ever.

Broncos trading away all that draft capital and the big cap hit certainly rank right up there though.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2024, 02:00 PM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Ditka trading New Oreans entire 1999 draft and a #1 and #3 in 2000 for Ricky Williams has to be the worst trade ever.

Broncos trading away all that draft capital and the big cap hit certainly rank right up there though.

I think the only reason the 49ers trading for a washed up O.J. Simpson was not in consideration for the worst ever is because they recovered from it so quickly. They gave up the first overall pick in 1979, top of 2nd round pick 1979 and top of 4th in 1979. In 1978 they gave up picks in the top 10 of rounds 2 & 3. So 5 high picks for Simpson who over two seasons lost more fumbles than he had TDS (6) he averaged a whooping 45 yards rushing and 9 yards receiving a game. Simpson was also the league's highest paid player those 2 years. The 49ers won 2 games each in both years Simpson played.

In 1979 they hired a guy named Bill Walsh as head coach who drafted a guy named Joe Montana to play QB that quickly erased the OJ trade debacle.
Joe Thomas the GM who traded for OJ got fired, Walsh stepped into that position also.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 03-06-2024 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:55 PM   #11
jimmyb

Quote:
I think the only reason the 49ers trading for a washed up O.J. Simpson was not in consideration for the worst ever is because they recovered from it so quickly. They gave up the first overall pick in 1979, top of 2nd round pick 1979 and top of 4th in 1979. In 1978 they gave up picks in the top 10 of rounds 2 & 3. So 5 high picks for Simpson who over two seasons lost more fumbles than he had TDS (6) he averaged a whooping 45 yards rushing and 9 yards receiving a game. Simpson was also the league's highest paid player those 2 years. The 49ers won 2 games each in both years Simpson played.

In 1979 they hired a guy named Bill Walsh as head coach who drafted a guy named Joe Montana to play QB that quickly erased the OJ trade debacle.
Joe Thomas the GM who traded for OJ got fired, Walsh stepped into that position also.
Yes, that would rate right up there. The Herschel Walker trade to the vikings is another one that's worth mentioning. Dallas ended up with super bowl rings as a result.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2024, 08:29 PM   #12
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
He has lost a step to be sure, but quarterbacks can get away with that if they are a pocket passer. Unfortunately, Russ isn't a true pocket passer. Instead, he is a QB who holds the ball too long and does not take what the defense is giving him. He looks for the big play, but ends up taking sacks that would have been easy to avoid. He can still make pre-snap reads, and has a strong arm. I can see where he and Sean Payton would not work well together. Payton relies on precision and a QB who can throw players open. That is not Russ. Russ does have a sweet, arcing long pass, but that is not enough.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:40 PM   #13
46zilzal
velocitician

One year deal with the Steelers and a salary at the VETERAN'S MINIMUM

Will the change of venue and another very competent coach make any difference any longer?
Old 03-11-2024, 09:41 PM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
One year deal with the Steelers and a salary at the VETERAN'S MINIMUM

Will the change of venue and another very competent coach make any difference any longer?
But the Broncos will be paying him 39million more …..a year for 2 yrs