Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #31
fast4522

Within 20 days something more horrific will occur most likely outside these United States, the real problem is the frequency of in house is increasing. Kids have had access to guns for a very long time, and many still do who do and not go evil. The why's are not obvious to anyone as if everyone it is some strange mystery of the world. When people have kids just because they can, and then abstain from being parents also just because they can this is the effect.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #32
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Wouldn't have mattered one bit. You'd need a helluva lot more than "someone with a gun" to stop this. Rational people don't gun down kids. Rational measures won't work.

Add to the fact you had one or more cops / armed officers in Florida not long ago that chose not to enter the school when there was a live shooter in there.... So someone with a gun does little good.

Arming teachers won't work either. Being married to an educator I can tell you they aren't thrilled with the idea of teachers carrying on campus. My wife was always concerned with litigation happy parents ( there are many), add a weapon to the mix just makes the profession that less appealing.
do
Facing facts, there's no solution unless you eliminate firearms and that won't happen. It's a sorry reality kids face today.

not to long ago a citizen with a gun stopped a shooter that later the shooter died from the gunshot wound yes regular citizens with guns can stop anyone else with a gun.

arming teachers will work. the opinion of the parents is who I care about, myself would rather home school or only send a kid to school were there are armed teachers.

why would you suggest taking guns away when the facts are this is not a gun problem.
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #33
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Perhaps we need to scratch the surface and delve a little deeper? Perhaps guns are the immediate symptom, but not the root cause?

How many here who were in school in the 1970s remember school shootings from back then? Were guns more or less plentiful and available back then?

What has changed since then: "parenting"? the "educational" system? society?

I dont remember any school shootings believe one thing that has changed is the divorce rate then now all the add kids on meds.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #34
elysiantraveller

Social media.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #35
Tape Reader

Sue Hollywood, save the World!
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #36
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
What can you say?
Just another sick tragedy in gun happy USA.
and death rate of students by guns is still lower than car accidents, drug overdose, alcohol related, suicide, ......
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #37
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I lived for 40 years in a large city where a sizable portion of the place was held hostage by a small percentage of the population...making it unsafe to walk the streets at night. This shouldn't happen in the strongest country of the world. If we are going to sacrifice our men and our resources for the "safety and security" of the rest of the world...shouldn't we save and secure our own country FIRST?
You know that answer. Because it has always been politically incorrect to put the blame where it belongs. On that small percentage of the population.

God forbid you blame those responsible.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan III View Post
Like in Iraq and Afghanistan you mean?

With a President who behaves like this "
Trump told Howard Stern he would have 'nailed' 'crazy' Princess Diana but only 'if she took an HIV test'
No offence, but that reply is probably the biggest pile of BS I read in quite a while. Beside making no sense at all, it has nothing to do with the topic.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

God forbid you blame those responsible.
Or do anything about it.
Instead of protecting the public, the worthless democrats led by a Kenyan Killer put out the PROMISE program, to keep potential shooters under the radar to prop up their phony improving crime statistics.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 PM   #40
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
not to long ago a citizen with a gun stopped a shooter that later the shooter died from the gunshot wound yes regular citizens with guns can stop anyone else with a gun.

arming teachers will work. the opinion of the parents is who I care about, myself would rather home school or only send a kid to school were there are armed teachers.

why would you suggest taking guns away when the facts are this is not a gun problem.
Near Denver, they allow teachers to pack concealed. THere is program in place where they get trained not only in safe use of the gun, but in how to handle a shooting situation. And no one knows who has a gun unless they tell them.

Sounds like a pretty sound program to me.
Makes a hell of a lot more sense than ANY gun-free stupidity.
Guns exist, they are out there. They are not going away.
Stop your worthless feel-good ideas and do something that works.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #41
mrhorseplayer

Mike Gundy pays armed security guards to be at all the schools in stillwater oklahoma to keep the kids safe.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #42
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Near Denver, they allow teachers to pack concealed. THere is program in place where they get trained not only in safe use of the gun, but in how to handle a shooting situation. And no one knows who has a gun unless they tell them.

Sounds like a pretty sound program to me.
Makes a hell of a lot more sense than ANY gun-free stupidity.
Guns exist, they are out there. They are not going away.
Stop your worthless feel-good ideas and do something that works.

sounds like those armed airplane marshalls no one knows what passenger it is believe that has worked good.

forget those worthless gun free zones.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:26 AM   #43
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post

(A) Not long ago, an armed security officer didn't enter a school where a live shooter was active. Shoots down your theory. Pardon the pun.

(B) teachers as a whole have no interest in packing in a classroom. My wife owns a firearm, but insists this idea of teachers is insane for many reasons.... Look, if this doesn't make sense to you, you're not thinking things out. The profession has turned into a freak show to begin with. Now you're asking them to carry firearms? Lol.

(C) I never suggested "taking away guns". I'm not sure why some here have a problem with comprehending a simple sentence, I've done this dance before on this forum...The only way to stop the school massacres is to eliminate guns, but that isn't going to happen..... Is that hard to understand? What part of "its not going to happen" is hard to comprehend. This is reality and it's shitty. Guns are here to stay. So are kids with mental health issues that never developed coping skills. Bad mix. Dig it?
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 03:41 AM   #44
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Let us go back 40 years when I was in High School. Mass shootings and teen suicides were a lot more rare than they are now. Strangely enough guns were easier to get and there were a lot less gun laws than today. Why are liberals blaming the gun for what is a mental health problem? The big difference I see between now and 1978 is a high percentage of kids were not labeled with ADD or whatever and given medication. Since ADD or whatever was invented in my circle of friends and family over the last 20 or so years more than half the boys I knew were medicated. Another big difference is video games, back in the day even the kids who weren't that athletic had PE and played physical games at recess. Now the nonathletic kids and kids that are socially awkward immerse themselves in video games.

Something has changed and it isn't access to firearms.
This kid didn't fit the stereotype though (I.e., non athletic, video gamer). He was on the frosh football team.

I'm four years older than you apparently, grew up in both Dallas and ft worth for school years... "Big city schools", I'd disagree on weapons being easier to access back then. My dad owned weapons but they were locked in a gun safe. Totally not accessible, and ditto for all my friends / inner circle. I don't recall a single buddy having access to a weapon. Ever.

Kids nowadays seem to have access, no sweat. That's obvious since a school gets shot up every week. In McKinney Tx this month , a kid was arrested for making comments about shooting his school all to hell. Had access to weapons.

Banning weapons won't help, the cat is out of the bag. Arming teachers won't help (a book can be written on the subject. For every teacher in favor of being armed there are five or more that are not in favor). For the foreseeable future kids and teachers in schools are sitting ducks.

Gun rights nuts will get defensive, offer no viable solution for an educational setting. Same for their counterparts. It's a turd wrestling match....Have at it.

Last edited by ElKabong; 05-19-2018 at 03:44 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 04:07 AM   #45
thaskalos

My hat is off to ElKabong...for presenting an argument with which I am in total agreement.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: