Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #751
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post

Co2 is in a state of flux. It is constantly absorbed and emitted by the oceans, plant life in response to natural changes. The oceans hold the greatest amounts of Co2. Much more than the atmosphere.

For gases, solubility decreases as temperature increases So Co2 solubility in the oceans mostly is in flux, in response to natural increases and decreases in temperature.
Substantially more complex than Ben cooler and Ben warmer

BINGO!!!
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #752
xtb

Quote:
The natural cusses of those extremely high CO2 concentrations in prehistoric times have diminished. Mostly the early planet's extreme volcanism.

Co2 is in a state of flux. It is constantly absorbed and emitted by the oceans, plant life in response to natural changes. The oceans hold the greatest amounts of Co2. Much more than the atmosphere.

For gases, solubility decreases as temperature increases So Co2 solubility in the oceans mostly is in flux, in response to natural increases and decreases in temperature.
Substantially more complex than Ben cooler and Ben warmer
Who are you and what have you done with hcap?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #753
davew

there is a major inverse correlation between ocean temperature and ocean carbon dioxide absorption resulting in strong correlation between air temperature and carbon dioxide levels.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #754
classhandicapper

I say this only half in jest.

I feel certain that trees, shrubs, and weeds all grow substantially faster, taller, and more fully now than when I was a kid (we are talking 50 years here). The growth seems explosive to me at times now. Whether I'm imagining things or it's true, that seems like a good development. Instead of the heat turning things to a desert, the added CO2 is creating a greener earth.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #755
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I am a hippy who learned reality. Mostly through unbiased scientific education, rather than your PHD in absurd ridiculous tin foil hat conspiracy theories. Give it a rest.

Global warming and possibilities on how to get it under control are not political unless you view everything through rose-colored conspiracy goggles.
From Grateful Dead to......
Old 07-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #756
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

I feel certain that trees, shrubs, and weeds all grow substantially faster, taller, and more fully now than when I was a kid (we are talking 50 years here). The growth seems explosive to me at times now. Whether I'm imagining things or it's true, that seems like a good development. Instead of the heat turning things to a desert, the added CO2 is creating a greener earth.
CO2 is plant food.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #757
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

Summertime - nothing like a nice BLT or 20.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot3475.jpg (17.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #758
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
there is a major inverse correlation between ocean temperature and ocean carbon dioxide absorption resulting in strong correlation between air temperature and carbon dioxide levels.
What are you talking about?
Old 07-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #759
hcap

Quote:

Meaning what? Could it be perhaps a tropical rain forest instead of a desert?

No one is talking Sahara except you.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #760
xtb

Quote:
What are you talking about?
Pour a glass of ginger ale or club soda into a glass and put it into the refrigerator overnight. In the morning you will see that it is flat, no bubbles. Set it on the kitchen table and soon you will start to see tiny CO2 bubbles forming, rising to the top and bursting as the liquid warms.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #761
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Who are you and what have you done with hcap?
I told you aways back to google Paleoclimatology. Should have mentioned the carbon cycle and the role of the oceans.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #762
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Pour a glass of ginger ale or club soda into a glass and put it into the refrigerator overnight. In the morning you will see that it is flat, no bubbles. Set it on the kitchen table and soon you will start to see tiny CO2 bubbles forming, rising to the top and bursting as the liquid warms.
Yes, coming out of solution. I don't make this stuff up.....
Quote:
Effects of Temperature and Pressure on Solubility
https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshel..._on_Solubility
Effect of Temperature on the Solubility of Gases

The solubility of gases in liquids decreases with increasing temperature, as shown in Figure 13.4.2
. Attractive intermolecular interactions in the gas phase are essentially zero for most substances. When a gas dissolves, it does so because its molecules interact with solvent molecules. Because heat is released when these new attractive interactions form, dissolving most gases in liquids is an exothermic process (ΔHsoln<0). Conversely, adding heat to the solution provides thermal energy that overcomes the attractive forces between the gas and the solvent molecules, thereby decreasing the solubility of the gas. The phenomenon is similar to that involved in the increase in vapor pressure of a pure liquid with increasing temperature. In the case of vapor pressure, however, it is attractive forces between solvent molecules that are being overcome by the added thermal energy when the temperature is increased.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #763
classhandicapper

Quote:
Meaning what? Could it be perhaps a tropical rain forest instead of a desert?

No one is talking Sahara except you.
I'm simply saying that one of the fears promoted was that there would be droughts, farmland would dry up etc..

Maybe it's working the other way.

Maybe increased rain and CO2 plant food is causing an explosion of plant life (despite our foolish efforts to deforest) which in turn will make for more and richer farmland and a greener earth that will keep CO2 under control.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #764
xtb

I don't think anyone here disputes that man is putting CO2 into the atmosphere and we should make a reasonable effort to limit it, and pollutants. Where we differ is how significant our contribution is and whether we can do anything about the overall picture. IMO we should not twist ourselves into knots trying to fix something that we have very little or no control over, and it may not even need fixing in the first place.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #765
hcap

Quote:
I'm simply saying that one of the fears promoted was that there would be droughts, farmland would dry up etc..

Maybe it's working the other way.

Maybe increased rain and CO2 plant food is causing an explosion of plant life (despite our foolish efforts to deforest) which in turn will make for more and richer farmland and a greener earth that will keep CO2 under control.
Under control? Certain areas will increase vegation and otheres will lose. No, the worry about droughts is also in in particular areas. A more overall concern or "fear" and actual observed weather phenomena, is the increase of extreme weather. More energy in the system tends to increase chaos. Weather is chaotic. Weather forecasts have become more accurate only with supercomputers to map complex turbulence of air and wind and interactions with the oceans.

Boiling water is more "chaotic then still water.
Or entropy also known as Murphy's law, is becoming more prevalent as things heat up.