Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Wednesday, September 27

Race One:

PAID ADMISSION gets my tepid, lukewarm nod in this short-field 25k claiming route. This Candy Ride (Ride the Rails)-bred bay horse won his last – about ten days ago, albeit against a softer field - at the same distance as today's race: one-mile. My thinking is that this horse can sit an off-the-pace trip and wait for the front-speed to tie up. This Vindication-bred is owned and trained by the Hall-of-Famer from “The Streets of Laredo,” Steve Asmussen (you may remember his older brother, an Eclipse Award-winning jockey, Cash Asmussen). Asmussen recently claimed this 5 year-old from David Jacobson. Asmussen does particularly well with claim repeaters. Irad Ortiz, Jr – he’s currently locked in a 2nd place tie behind Javier Castellano for Belmont Park’s riding honors – reprises the ride. Others: , , .

Race Two:

In this 25k, state-bred maiden-claiming sprint, I’m picking DAB (Can the Asmussen-Ortiz connection sweep the early double?). The last time this Into Mischief-bred colt dropped this low (he’s been running in MSWs and 40k MCs), this 3 year-old colt just missed by a neck up at The Spa. I believe this colt has been entered into a field he can handle. I like the turf-to-dirt move. The colt’s trainer, Steve Asmussen, does very well with horses that were beaten favorites in their last. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Three:

ASIAN’S WAY is my selection in this 7-panels, 35k claimer, n3L. This Trappe Shot-bred filly won her last up at "The Spa" in 50k allowance company (she should benefit from today's class drop). I think this filly’s chances are enhanced by what I believe will be a hot pace up front. This 4 year-old gray should be “pickin’em up and layin’em down” as the field reaches the top of the stretch. John Toscano, Jr. trains this grand-daughter of Tapit. Dylan Davis reprises the ride. Others: , ,

Race Four:

I’m picking DATA DEPENDENT in this 2 year-old, 75k, MSW route on the Widener Turf Course. This More Than Ready-bred bay filly had a troubled trip (to say the least) in her first pari-mutuel try up at "The Spa" near the close of the Saratoga meet. She finished 4th, but she was placed 3rd through disqualification. Well, with that one under her belt, this Southern Halo-bred should be more seasoned. Then, there are the filly’s connections: “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown, the meet’s leading trainer; “The Maracaibo Man,” Javier Castellano, the jockey-standings leader; and the “KS” silks of the Klaravich Stables. It should be noted that Brown does extremely well when conditioning horses entered in their second route race. Others: , ,

Race Five:

In this state-bred MSW 2 year-old 6 and ½ furlongs sprint, I’m picking MANGO M. In this highly-priced (250k), well-bred filly’s only start up at Saratoga in late August, she finished 3rd. The chart-caller’s comments in that one were: “Coaxed st; wknd late”. Frankly, I’m not quite sure I would have written the comments quite that way. This 2 year-old bay colt was “urged” out of that gate; she got track announcer Larry Collmus’s first call. This filly was weaving in the early going and was eventually guided to the outside by jockey Jose Ortiz. As the field reached the top of the stretch, this Tale of the Cat-bred was vying for the lead with the rail horse (entered in today’s race), Honor Up. Down the stretch, this filly was lightly-bumped by the hard-charging outside horse, the eventual winner, Big Gemmy (I’m surprised the stewards didn’t take a look). Yet, I felt, as I looked at the replay, that this filly finished with good energy. “Shug” McGaughey trains this Storm Cat-bred. He does well with horses entered in their second career race. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Six:

In this 10-panels, 90k turf allowance, n1x, I’m picking: HOMELAND SECURITY. I immediately noticed “the connections”. In a word: outstanding. Trainer Chad Brown, jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr., and the owners: Klaravich Stables & William H. Lawrence. That alone causes me to sit up and take notice. Well after breaking her maiden at this distance at the end of this year’s Belmont spring-summer meet, this Smart Strike-bred filly finished 4th against allowance company up at “The Spa,” yet only one and one-quarter length off the winner. Yes, this filly has been on the shelf for nearly two month and, quite frankly, her morning works are nuthin’ to write home about. Yet, I can’t get past this filly’s connections. Others: , ,

Race Seven:

In this one-mile turf claimer on The Widener, I’m selecting a medium-longshot, the rail horse, FOR GREATER GLORY (You also get the ORINO, if both run). This 7 year-old Aleet Alex-bred returned to the lawn up at "The Spa" after eschewing the grass for years. This Northern Afleet-bred finished 7th in that one against weaker. Yet it should be noted that she endured an energy-taxing outside trip. Well, this Touch Gold-bred now resides in a David Jacobson barn (he owns and trains). Jacobson - he’s having an excellent Belmont meet - does very well in the 1st off a claim category. Yes, this horse has been away from the races for about two months; yet that’s another category that Jacobson excels at. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Eight:

WHATSTOTALKABOUT got caught wide in a similar race in the closing days of Saratoga meet. This Freud-bred gelding now draws inside in this state-bred turf-sprint. The inside starting post should allow for more tactical maneuvering (he may eventually find himself guided to the outside). This Storm Cat-bred’s turf credentials are very good. He’s hit the tote in six out of eight lifetime tries; he’s been either first or second in two tries at today’s 6-panels distance. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride for trainer Jason Servis (Servis is the brother of trainer John Servis who trained the 2004 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Winner, Smarty Jones). Jason Servis does very well both with horses entered in sprints and in turf races. Others: , ,

Race Nine:

In the finale, an MSW state-bred turf route, I’m picking another medium longshot, MILLIE'S PARTY BOY. In this Jim Frangella Jr.’s-owned and trained gelding’s first career race, he finished a game 3rd at nearly 70-1 (he was actually leading at the top of the stretch). In this Malibu Moon-bred’s second race, an MSW at Monmouth, he stalked early but wound up finishing 7th in a field of 10. In his third career race, a little less than two months ago up at Saratoga, this 4 year-old finished 5th, yet just two lengths off the winner. I believe there’s room for improvement. The up-and-coming Nik Juarez is in the irons. Others: , , .

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: