Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 09-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Sunday, September 24

Race One:
Yes, this allowance sprint begs for a closer. Enter: BABY BEAR’S SOUP. Today’s distance for this Big Brown-bred is not too short; it’s not too long. Yes, this 6 and ½ panels distance is: “just right”. Call it: “The Goldilocks Effect”. This bay gelding’s trainer, David Jacobson, is having an excellent Belmont meet; he’s second only to Chad Brown in trainer standings. Jacobson is adding first-time blinkers – he does very well in that category. Again, I like the turf-to-dirt angle. The meet’s second leading rider, Irad Ortiz, Jr., is in the irons. No, this Boundary-bred 4 year-old won’t “run into the forest”; yet he may well saunter over to the winner’s circle. Others: , ,

Race Two:
GET JETS has beaten most of the horses entered in this non-graded, state-bred turf route, the 125k Ashley T. Cole. This Scat Daddy-bred won a similar state-bred stakes, the West Point, up at “The Spa” about one month ago. This 4 year-old chestnut colt’s connections are rock-solid. The jockey is the Hall-of-Famer, Johnny V. The gelding’s conditioner is the most capable, Tony Dutrow. Speaking of Dutrow, he does very well both with horses entered in non-graded stakes and winners of their last race. Finally, a sold 5-panels turf morning-work bolsters confidence. Others: , ,

Race Three:
In my opinion, this 6-furlongs, 75k MSW turf-sprint, is a wide-open affair. Personally, I would tread lightly (If you’re playing multi-race exotics, I would suggest that you consider “buying insurance”). In fact, I feel like taking out my Ouija Board (the origin is “yes” in both French and German). Well, after much perusing and scrutinizing, my tepid, lukewarm choice is: JUST HATTIE. Yes, I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: “In the land of the first-time starters, the filly with a race under her belt is queen.” Admittedly, this Quality Road-bred 2 year-old was beaten by weaker in her only race, a 5-panels turf-sprint at Monmouth. Yet, this Elusive Quality-bred rallied for second in that one. This filly now gets an added furlong to mount her stretch run. "Jersey Joe" Bravo is in the irons. Wesley Ward – he does well with shippers - is the trainer. Others: , ,

Race Four:
In this 10-panels, 90k, MSW turf-route, I’m going with: UNCLE GIO. Yes, this Gio Ponte-bred 4 year-old chestnut gelding has been away from the races for one year. That, in itself, is troubling. Why? Yet, upon further review, this gelding fits in this field like the last piece in a jigsaw puzzle. This Michelle Nevin (she’s having a solid meet) trainee can “get the distance” (I’m not sure I can say that for all the others). Yes, the morning works are mediocre. Yet, this Tale of the Cat-bred has the services of one of this country’s leading jockeys, John Velazquez. Others: , ,

Race Five:
LUCY N ETHEL is my pick in the Grade II,6 and ½ panels, 300k, Gallant Bloom Handicap. Well, in her last race at Keeneland, the Grade II Raven Run that was run over 11 months ago, this 4 year-old filly (pardon my hoi polloi expression) “folded like a cheap suit”. Prior to that, however, this Cherokee Run-bred reeled off four straight wins, including the Grade II Prioress and the Grade III Old Hat. This filly’s trainer, Todd Pletcher, does exceptionally well with horses that have been “on the shelf”. A recent solid 4-panels work signals readiness. Johnny V. is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Six:
PINCHBECK (On a personal note: When I worked for CBS radio in Boston in the early-1980s as their New England Patriots radio coordinator, I had dealings with an NFL broadcasting executive, Val Pinchbeck; he died about a dozen years ago. I wonder if this horse is named for him) is my pick in this OC turf route. This Mineshaft-bred filly was 2nd in her last against similar company. This 3 year-old filly should benefit from the one-panel cut back off her last race. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride for “Monsieur Herbe,” Christophe Clement. Clement does very well with horses that were beaten favorites. Others: , ,

Race Seven:
In this 6 and ½ furlongs state-bred 25k claimer, I’m picking: CAUSE FOR SURPRISE. This Giant’s Causeway-bred is dropping in with the kind he should be able to handle. In fact, not only does this Mr. Sinatra-bred do very well at the distance, he also has an excellent record when racing at Belmont Park, albeit with a limited sampling. “Double-A,” Angel Arroyo (I thought I heard “Talking Horses’” Andy Serling mention something about Arroyo approaching his 1,000th career win?) is in the irons. The most capable conditioner, Gary Gullo, is this 4 year-old’s trainer. Others: , ,

Race Eight:
In this the John Hettinger 125k non-graded state-bred stakes to be run at a distance of one mile and one-eighth over The Inner turf course, I’m picking: FOURSTAR CROOK. This 5 year-old Freud-bred mare has been the model of consistency (I couldn’t resist: “Consistency, thou art a jewel.” Attributed to William Shakespeare (I thought he was a turf sire). This Storm Cat-bred reeled off an astounding 8-straight wins before finishing second to Bar of Gold in The Yaddo up at “The Spa” about one month ago. This mare’s conditioner, “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown, is currently leading in the trainer standing. Brown does very well with beaten favorites. This mare’s jo9ckey is the meet’s leading rider, the Maracaibo, Venezuela native, Javier Castellano. Others: , ,

Race Nine:

In the finale, an MSW turf route for New York state-breds, I’m selecting: NEWS ANCHOR. This Data Link-bred bay colt narrowly missed about one month ago in a similar race up in Saratoga. This War Front-bred’s trainer, “Shug” McGaughey, does exceptionally well with horses making both their second career start and their second grass race. The colt’s jockey, Joel Rosario, is having a solid Belmont meet; he’s cfurrently 3rd in the jockey standings. A sharp recent work bolsters confidence. Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply