Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #16
_______
Veteran

Lyft didn’t service my area (Ventura County in California) until about 18 months ago so I had only used them when traveling.

I would use Lyft when possible because they allowed tipping but if the wait was longer for a Lyft, I would Uber instead. Spoke with the Uber drivers many times about taking a cash tip and some would but most were afraid I was a mole from corporate and declined politely.

There is almost nothing to distinguish them as services other than availability and in many areas outside major urban cores, Uber is and Lyft isn’t. I prefer to support Lyft when possible because until recently Uber was run by screaming assholes.

But from a consumer standpoint, if you don’t care about how they are treating their employees, they are almost indistinguishable.

Edit: Yes. I know Uber now allows tips. That was recent though.

Last edited by _______; 10-21-2017 at 10:57 PM.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #17
Robert Fischer
clean money

driving uber worked for me for a few specific reasons

-i'm disabled, and could stop, or take a day off at any time if I was sick

-i had a vehicle that was paid-off and just new enough to be eligible (~10 years), but not new enough to be of any real value that would be lost driving

-made quality business cards and placed in certain seasonal areas that were outside uber's range

-developed regular customers (exchanged info for outside app rides)

-planned ahead and did events

-used a 'seeded' tip cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
I too am a tipper.

I keep my son's records.
Yesterday he worked for six and a half hours.
He earned $52.00 in for 11 fares and got a $2.00 tip.

60 % of the driving in unpaid because it is on the way to pick up the rider.
There is a $4.00 pick up/drop off fee that equaled $44.00

He drove 111 miles and got paid for only 40 miles at 90 cents per mile which was $36.00.
$36.00 + $44.00 = $80.00, minus the 35% uber fee = $52.00 .
Terrible
try a seeded tip cup

for some reason a 'seeded' tip cup in the cup holder helps increase tips. Not up to cab level, but at least it pays for a bit of gas/food/coffee...

Here's a starter one that I made. I put the money pictured in the cup, and then passengers get the idea, and/or think that tipping is the norm. Can use a 32oz, or a super-big-gulp 64oz(just put a ball of paper in the bottom half).

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 10-23-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I have a question for drivers...do you get to see who has and who hasn't tipped you?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #19
BaffertsWig

Is the uber fee the same nationwide (35%)? I have a friend that drives and makes around $22/avg per hour here, after gas expenses, in Portland. They also have a program where you rent the car from them and they pay for all the monthly maintenance, the girl I got a ride from participates in that program and said she makes bank.
BaffertsWig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #20
BaffertsWig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I have a question for drivers...do you get to see who has and who hasn't tipped you?
I'd assume they see the tip after you leave it. I wonder if they see that before they leave you your user rating. Would be beneficial for drivers so they can see who tips and who doesn't and adjust service accordingly. When I used to deliver sub sandwiches in college we knew who tipped and who didn't. Those who never tipped were always the last to get their food.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #21
Robert Fischer
clean money

as of 2016 we either got a cash tip, or could see an app tip. We don't have to rate immediately and/or could adjust ratings.

I used to rate on basics like on-time, not an unpleasant psycho, didn't throw up, etc... mostly 5s.

Some drivers are focused on tipping and start with '3' and upgrade for tips.
Only time I did that was when providing special services (e.g. had to wait 10 minutes for pax, or picked up from sandy beach w/ kids, and soiled the upholstery).

In Uber's rush to monopolize the market, tips were initially advertised as unnecessary, and more recently marketed softly as an option.

I think that in the world we live in, 'services' should be tipped. It provides incentive for exceptional personalized service, and there is a power dynamic at play that actually makes the customer feel good, provided they aren't broke.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #22
BaffertsWig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post

In Uber's rush to monopolize the market, tips were initially advertised as unnecessary, and more recently marketed softly as an option.
Probably in the minority, but the tipping option was the reason why I favored using Lyft over Uber. Much easier to tip via in-app than the traditional way because I don't always have an appropriate amount of cash on me (in certain denominations, what have you.) I think maybe they realized that and that's why they added the feature to lure drivers into using their service over Lyft, or more than Lyft I should say, as most drivers use both apps simultaneously. It'd be interesting to see a cost-comparison between the two services and compare what the driver earns from a fare when driving for Uber vs. Lyft.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #23
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
driving uber worked for me for a few specific reasons

-i'm disabled, and could stop, or take a day off at any time if I was sick

-i had a vehicle that was paid-off and just new enough to be eligible (~10 years), but not new enough to be of any real value that would be lost driving

-made quality business cards and placed in certain seasonal areas that were outside uber's range

-developed regular customers (exchanged info for outside app rides)

-planned ahead and did events

-used a 'seeded' tip cup

try a seeded tip cup

for some reason a 'seeded' tip cup in the cup holder helps increase tips. Not up to cab level, but at least it pays for a bit of gas/food/coffee...

Here's a starter one that I made. I put the money pictured in the cup, and then passengers get the idea, and/or think that tipping is the norm. Can use a 32oz, or a super-big-gulp 64oz(just put a ball of paper in the bottom half).

Thanks for the suggestion, but happily the blacklisting must have expired late last month.
My son has been contently driving an oil tanker truck for last two weeks.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #24
green80

Quote:
I too am a tipper.

I keep my son's records.
Yesterday he worked for six and a half hours.
He earned $52.00 in for 11 fares and got a $2.00 tip.

60 % of the driving in unpaid because it is on the way to pick up the rider.
There is a $4.00 pick up/drop off fee that equaled $44.00

He drove 111 miles and got paid for only 40 miles at 90 cents per mile which was $36.00.
$36.00 + $44.00 = $80.00, minus the 35% uber fee = $52.00 .
Terrible
When he pays for fuel and includes wear and tear on a vehicle, it looks like he is losing money working.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #25
Fred Mertz

On Tipping

When I use a credit card, I always put $0 tip and tip them appropriately in cash.

My brother, the waiter, told me that this is preferred by the workers. If it is on your card then it is in the big database and subject to Big Brother/IRS oversight.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #26
Valuist

Screw Uber. I installed their app and they refused to believe the phone number I gave them was mine. Sent them a screen shot. Still didn't believe it. I proceeded to uninstall the app, and now will only use Lyft. No runaround from Lyft when I signed up. No need for screenshots or any nonsense.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #27
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post
When I use a credit card, I always put $0 tip and tip them appropriately in cash.

My brother, the waiter, told me that this is preferred by the workers. If it is on your card then it is in the big database and subject to Big Brother/IRS oversight.
I think we all can agree that taxes are too high, but shouldn't people who receive tips as part of their income be required to pay taxes the same as anybody else? I don't understand the social acceptance for people who earn income in this manner to seemingly get a free pass on taxes. Tax avoidance is smart, but tax evasion is illegal.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:38 PM   #28
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Amen.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:22 AM   #29
Fred Mertz

I will continue to tip with cash regardless of what you two statists think.

I just filled out three checks to pay my property taxes; bought and paid for. Only thing is, you don't own it, you pay rent.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #30
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but happily the blacklisting must have expired late last month.
My son has been contently driving an oil tanker truck for last two weeks.
About that tip cup...

I was in a cab years ago in NYC and a guy had just such a cup (actually a jar).

I asked if he wasn't concerned about someone stealing his tips when he wasn't looking.

He laughed and showed me how the the bills were all just bits and pieces, glued together and that the jar itself was attached very securely to the little frame that held it.

Went on to say that he loses one or two a year but the total loss is maybe 3 dollars.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply