Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
boxcar

The Core Problem to Murder by Firearms

What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Gun Control

Very good article and the writer nails the problem perfectly. As usual, the secular left's spiritual/moral barometer is about as deep as a mud puddle, so leftists are stuck on stupid -- that is to say, on the least meaning level of argument, which is the object level.

I have a theory on why the left doesn't want to go any deeper than this. But for now, I'll hold that opinion to see how this thread runs.

It's long read, but a good thought-provoking one. I've quoted some excerpts below.

A social ill takes place on three levels: the object level, the individual level, and the social level.

Take alcoholism. There’s the object, alcohol. There’s the choice that the individual makes to drink the alcohol. And, finally, there’s the social problems that can be blamed for widespread alcoholism.

The gun control movement operates in the same object-oriented space of the prohibitionist movement. For prohibitionists, the problem was gin. For the gun control movement, it’s all about the guns. Get rid of the gin and the guns, and the underlying problem goes away without having to do anything else....

And object-oriented prohibitionism is the least meaningful way of looking at a social problem....

Usually, the Left loves root causes. It can trace any individual dysfunction to the problems at the heart of a society. But when it comes to guns, it refuses to look past the physical object, while blaming everyone responsible for the existence of guns, from firearms manufacturers to the NRA. But blaming everyone involved with the existence of an object is not an examination of the root causes of its misuse....

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/201...el-greenfield/
Old 09-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
thaskalos

Whenever there are recurring mass shootings where AK-47s are used to kill groups of innocent people...it's natural to expect loud protests advocating the easy answer of restriction of these weapons from general use. This doesn't mean that the protesters are unaware of the fact that the victims are really killed by CRIMINALS...and not guns. Yes...it would be more beneficial if extensive studies were carried out investigating the "external and internal moral causes" of these atrocities...but the shock of these tragedies forces people to instinctively reach for the more immediate and simplistic solutions.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Whenever there are recurring mass shootings where AK-47s are used to kill groups of innocent people...it's natural to expect loud protests advocating the easy answer of restriction of these weapons from general use. This doesn't mean that the protesters are unaware of the fact that the victims are really killed by CRIMINALS...and not guns. Yes...it would be more beneficial if extensive studies were carried out investigating the "external and internal moral causes" of these atrocities...but the shock of these tragedies forces people to instinctively reach for the more immediate and simplistic solutions.
No, it's not the "shock of these tragedies". It's the moral/spiritual shallowness of most Americans. Their souls have no firm moral/spiritual anchor.

Furthermore, how long does that "shock" last and to what extent do these tragedies impact media, politicians, etc. that forces them to continue with their shallow, juvenile drivel long after the tragedies?
Old 09-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
No, it's not the "shock of these tragedies". It's the moral/spiritual shallowness of most Americans. Their souls have no firm moral/spiritual anchor.

Furthermore, how long does that "shock" last and to what extent do these tragedies impact media, politicians, etc. that forces them to continue with their shallow, juvenile drivel long after the tragedies?
The news media and the politicians think that they are in the "entertainment" business; they give their "audience" whatever they think the audience wants. Speaking for myself...I get irritated when I see people trying to take my gun away from me. But I get even more angry when I see the NRA opposing the proper documentation and training of gun-users. BOTH sides have taken leave of their senses...IMO.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
boxcar

Quote:
The news media and the politicians think that they are in the "entertainment" business; they give their "audience" whatever they think the audience wants. Speaking for myself...I get irritated when I see people trying to take my gun away from me. But I get even more angry when I see the NRA opposing the proper documentation and training of gun-users. BOTH sides have taken leave of their senses...IMO.
So...we have classic symbiotic relationship going on here,right? The blind gives the blind what they want because the blind stands to profit off it. Meanwhile, both fall into the ditch, which is inevitable.

As far as the NRA allegedly losing its senses...start another thread on that with plenty of evidence. This thread is about a very different topic that deals with an inanimate object being constantly portrayed by brain-dead leftists as being the primary cause of all murders-- just like alcohol is the primary cause of alcoholism.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Because it is a Constitutional Right and not a government granted privilege. The NRA is absolutely correct.

If I have a right to own an item I do not need government approval or government documentation to own such item.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #7
Marshall Bennett

Boxcar, perhaps you're digging deeper than is necessary. Maybe its as simple as the left opposing just about anything the right holds dear to themselves.
The news media latches on to whatever is provocative and creates a narrative that sells. Since anger and corruption draws the most public attention, the left benefits because that's where it nearly always originates.
The MSM strongly favors the left if for no other reason, the profitability.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
hcap

Quote:
What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Gun Control

Very good article and the writer nails the problem perfectly. As usual, the secular left's spiritual/moral barometer is about as deep as a mud puddle, so leftists are stuck on stupid -- that is to say, on the least meaning level of argument, which is the object level.
Why did you start a new thread? I suppose you were to chicken shit to admit everything you posted on the Walmart thread was wrong as I corrected and debunked your failed assumptions multiple times.
Quote:
...No, it's not the "shock of these tragedies". It's the moral/spiritual shallowness of most Americans. Their souls have no firm moral/spiritual anchor.
Tell that to the parents, loved ones and friends of those gunned down in the hundreds of MASS SHOOTINGS. Or the millionths worried about who is next.

I believe most Americans have way more morality and spirituality than you. Claiming people they are not experiencing the "shock of these tragedies" is among the most heartless statements you have ever made. And you have made many.

Go back on your reservation.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
thaskalos

Quote:
As far as the NRA allegedly losing its senses...start another thread on that with plenty of evidence. This thread is about a very different topic that deals with an inanimate object being constantly portrayed by brain-dead leftists as being the primary cause of all murders-- just like alcohol is the primary cause of alcoholism.
So.. you wanna start a thread about "Murder by Firearms"...but you want to keep the NRA out of it. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Because it is a Constitutional Right and not a government granted privilege. The NRA is absolutely correct.

If I have a right to own an item I do not need government approval or government documentation to own such item.
Any "constitutional right" that you might have cannot infringe upon anyone ELSE'S 'constitutional rights'. And possessing a gun without proper training is exactly such an infringement...IMO.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post

You are late to the party. All of this has been discussed on the Walmart thread. I mentioned Justice Scalia said the 2nd Amendment has limits. It doesn’t guarantee access to every type weapon.

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.

That's why states have passed gun control laws, and the ones with the most controls have the least gun violence

Last edited by hcap; 09-19-2019 at 04:00 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
You are late to the party. All of this has been discussed on the Walmart thread. I mentioned Justice Scalia said the 2nd Amendment has limits. It doesn’t guarantee access to every type weapon.

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.

That's why states have passed gun control laws, and the ones with the most controls have the least gun violence
Two different issues completely.

It may not guarantee any type of weapon, but as a right I do not need government approval or government mandated training to own a legal weapon.

Do we have background checks to own private real property or mandated ownership training before you own real property?

No because it is a right, however like fire arms the type of real property you own may be limited.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #13
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Why did you start a new thread? I suppose you were to chicken shit to admit everything you posted on the Walmart thread was wrong as I corrected and debunked your failed assumptions multiple times.
.Tell that to the parents, loved ones and friends of those gunned down in the hundreds of MASS SHOOTINGS. Or the millionths worried about who is next.
I mean like how wrong you were when you declared that I never asked you the gun-rights question on 9/17?

Quote:
I believe most Americans have way more morality and spirituality than you. Claiming people they are not experiencing the "shock of these tragedies" is among the most heartless statements you have ever made. And you have made many.

Go back on your reservation.
Learn to read. I never said people don't experience "shock". But I do claim that that isn't the primary reason for the utterly stupid gun narrative subsequently dumped on Americans by the leftist media and dimwit politicians.

Guns do not kill people! Period. You yourself have already admitted that no gun has ever ben charged with a crime of convicted of one. So, why the utterly intellectually-vacuous rhetoric focusing on guns?

Furthermore, why is it the ultimate aim of liberals to confiscate all privately-owned weapons (Australian style,for example) when all human beings have the inalienable right to self-preservation/protection?

Do you not agree that the root cause to all violence is a moral in nature?
Old 09-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #14
boxcar

Quote:
So.. you wanna start a thread about "Murder by Firearms"...but you want to keep the NRA out of it. Good luck!
Start your own thread on the supposed evils of the NRA...if you dare. Make your case for what a horrible domestic terror organization they are.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #15
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Boxcar, perhaps you're digging deeper than is necessary. Maybe its as simple as the left opposing just about anything the right holds dear to themselves.
But such an explanation begs the question, doesn't it? Why are they opposed? Is the opposition a means to an end or not? And if so, what is the end?

Quote:
The news media latches on to whatever is provocative and creates a narrative that sells. Since anger and corruption draws the most public attention, the left benefits because that's where it nearly always originates.
The MSM strongly favors the left if for no other reason, the profitability.
What you say is true -- but again, is there a political end to the "guns are inherently evil" strategy?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: