Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-26-2023, 11:43 AM   #76
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
Anyone have extra seats? LOL (serious though)
Ken Rudulph said you can sit with him.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 03:49 PM   #77
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Ken Rudulph said you can sit with him.
I would! And I'd go back and forth about shtty Giacomo, too.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2023, 10:00 AM   #78
LemonSoupKid

Did you see this "Day Chaser view" entry/seating? I'm trying to figure out what to do for both days still, so I click on it and in italics it says there are no real seats, it is first come first serve basis. So there will be couches and stuff, but you'll have to fight for a seat at some point, or hold one, etc, for $250? LOL ($550 Saturday).
Old 09-14-2023, 04:08 PM   #79
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
You might want to fact check that, or at least acknowledge the caveats and stipulations needed to arrive at that conclusion.
Local Chambers of Commerce, those who look for tax breaks for certain entities who sponsor large one off events or yearly occurring events LOVE to boast about economic impact. The truth is, very often, the actual revenue generated comes no where near close to that which is claimed.
For example, in 1995 the Final Four was in Charlotte NC. BTW that was the LAST NCAA Mens Final Four played in an indoor arena, the movers and shakers claimed huge numbers of economic impact.
A friend of mine was managing a very busy sports bar in Uptown Charlotte. SInce the City had closed the main street( Tryon St) and created an interactive pedestrian mall with temporary food and trinket vendors, his bar had to be closed because access was limited. Lots of local businesses had similar dilemmas
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2023, 07:56 PM   #80
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Local Chambers of Commerce, those who look for tax breaks for certain entities who sponsor large one off events or yearly occurring events LOVE to boast about economic impact. The truth is, very often, the actual revenue generated comes no where near close to that which is claimed.
For example, in 1995 the Final Four was in Charlotte NC. BTW that was the LAST NCAA Mens Final Four played in an indoor arena, the movers and shakers claimed huge numbers of economic impact.
A friend of mine was managing a very busy sports bar in Uptown Charlotte. SInce the City had closed the main street( Tryon St) and created an interactive pedestrian mall with temporary food and trinket vendors, his bar had to be closed because access was limited. Lots of local businesses had similar dilemmas
Your larger point is right on the money (other than in very narrow situations like NASCAR in Bristol, TN, sports events don't actually produce significant public benefits).

But the 1996 Final Four was played in what I always called the Brendan Byrne Arena (the Nets' old arena) in the Meadowlands, and was in actuality the last Final Four played in a normal basketball/hockey arena.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2023, 11:32 AM   #81
LemonSoupKid

Anyone have extras for Friday or Saturday?

Yes, sports events or owners (chamber of commerce is mostly an economic elite that promotes propaganda for the rich businessmen) holding cities hostage is a common scam.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:27 PM   #82
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Your larger point is right on the money (other than in very narrow situations like NASCAR in Bristol, TN, sports events don't actually produce significant public benefits).

But the 1996 Final Four was played in what I always called the Brendan Byrne Arena (the Nets' old arena) in the Meadowlands, and was in actuality the last Final Four played in a normal basketball/hockey arena.
Ahh. You're correct about that...And being from Northern NJ, I call myself remiss.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2023, 09:27 AM   #83
LemonSoupKid

Is anyone going? I'll be there Friday/Saturday.
Old 10-11-2023, 02:01 PM   #84
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
Is anyone going? I'll be there Friday/Saturday.
I'm always there when they hold it in SoCal.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2023, 05:11 PM   #85
Inner Dirt

I forgot the name of the mall next to Santa Anita as I was last there a couple years before fleeing California 12 years ago. Did that mall end up like a lot of them in SoCal with a lot of shuttered stores? That place got some business out of me before Beyer put his numbers in the forum and my edge vanished in 1993. On a winning day I hit the mall on the way out to buy the wife or girlfriend a gift.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2023, 06:14 PM   #86
ClockersCorner

It’s still going strong. It tends more to experiential than traditional retail these days, with a bowling alley, karaoke lounge and many restaurants.
Finding a gift will not be a problem, though.
ClockersCorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2023, 03:26 PM   #87
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockersCorner View Post
It’s still going strong. It tends more to experiential than traditional retail these days, with a bowling alley, karaoke lounge and many restaurants.
Finding a gift will not be a problem, though.

Bowling alley in a mall, that is a new one on me.
Old 10-12-2023, 07:04 PM   #88
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Bowling alley in a mall, that is a new one on me.
I was in a mall for the first time in ages here in OKC last week and we have one also.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2023, 07:30 PM   #89
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I was in a mall for the first time in ages here in OKC last week and we have one also.

OKC could be a trend setter, I have passed through a few times and was shocked they had a Jack in a Box I could tow a 16 foot long trailer through.
I had never seen such a thing in my multiple cross country trips while moving.
No Jack in a Boxes in Virginia, I miss those.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:05 PM   #90
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
OKC could be a trend setter, I have passed through a few times and was shocked they had a Jack in a Box I could tow a 16 foot long trailer through.
I had never seen such a thing in my multiple cross country trips while moving.
No Jack in a Boxes in Virginia, I miss those.
LOL, there are a lot of them and I've never been even once. Same goes for Carl's Jr.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply