Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
lamboguy

inspirational Rex Tillerson speech at VMI

lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
Grits

Lambo, thank you for posting this!! It was worth every minute of my listening.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
thank you too, you just made my day.

this guy did not deserve to get shafted like he did. we need more guys like him around the way things are going these days.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
thank you too, you just made my day.

this guy did not deserve to get shafted like he did. we need more guys like him around the way things are going these days.
A person can be smart and skilled in one walk of life, but a fish out of water in another. He was ill suited to the State Department, and I like Rex Tillerson. He didn't get shafted. He disagreed with his boss on key elements of the strategic direction his boss wanted him to execute. In any company, somebody who had a philosophical difference like that would be shown the door as well. Doesn't make them a bad person or employee. Stuff happens.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
woodtoo

He was great concerning China and Saudi Arabia I wish him all the best, thanks
Rex.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
elysiantraveller

Wasn't he the guy that openly pressed for talks with NK...

You know the same things folks in here want to give Trump the Nobel prize for...?

What flavor is the kool aid around here?
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
Racetrack Playa
regular user

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post

is purple a flavor?

Tom Wolfe-1931-2018
-from TEKAAT-

“a perception of the cosmic unity of this higher level. And a feeling of timelessness, the feeling that what we know as time is only the result of a naive faith in causality - the notion that A in the past caused B in the present, which will cause C in the future, when actually A, B, and C are all part of a pattern that can be truly understood only by opening the doors of perception and experiencing it... in this moment... this supreme moment... this Kairos.”
Old 05-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
tucker6

Quote:

You know the same things folks in here want to give Trump the Nobel prize for...?

You are misrepresenting what was really going on. It was that either guy disagreed with Trump. It was more along the lines of who could carry the day at the negotiating table.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.76ad01488cb6

“Mike Pompeo has been in sync with President Trump from day one — on North Korea in particular,” Cronin said. “There has been no doubt that he has been instrumental in shaping the administration's maximum-pressure-and-engagement strategy.”

Last edited by tucker6; 05-17-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

Man you're tough on this Trump guy. Never before in the history of this board have you analyzed and scrutinized a President so mercilessly.

I look forward to this continuing once Trump moves on...cause I certainly don't remember this "enthusiasm" from you when Obama was Prez...
Old 05-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
I second that motion! I listened to the speech while working on my spreadsheet project.

I was totally wowed that a public figure would give a speech wherein it's core subject was integrity and ethics. And I nearly fell off my chair when he quoted the passage out of John 8.

Tillerson is obviously a man who has great depth to himself. He truly understands this nation's (and indeed the entire world's) core problem and the daunting challenge that lies before all of us -- Truth! To be truthful as way of life is to be a person of integrity. If any of us here feels, thinks or believes that we, as a nation, have missed that mark of truthfulness over these many decades, then perhaps you can begin to appreciate just how tenuous our form of democracy has become. We have been living perilously and recklessly for many, many years -- personally, professionally and politically. For those of you who have been around here for a while and know me, you might recall that I have long maintained that the is country's core problem is first and foremost one of morality (or ethics) -- not politics!

Tillerson gets this. I get this. But how many of you get it?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #11
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Man you're tough on this Trump guy. Never before in the history of this board have you analyzed and scrutinized a President so mercilessly.

I look forward to this continuing once Trump moves on...cause I certainly don't remember this "enthusiasm" from you when Obama was Prez...
Stop. He's fair and impartial. Just ask him.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #12
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
He's also balanced.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #13
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

I wasn't in the minority in that situation. Additionally I do give him credit when he does some things. Mostly around here I just hammer the complete inconsistency of his supporters. In fairness though they have to be because he is completely inconsistent.

Am I wrong though? Wasn't Rex the guy working with the Chinese and trying to open channels of communication when this was tweeted:

Now though... Peace Prize for Trump...
Old 05-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #14
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I second that motion! I listened to the speech while working on my spreadsheet project.

I was totally wowed that a public figure would give a speech wherein it's core subject was integrity and ethics. And I nearly fell off my chair when he quoted the passage out of John 8.

Tillerson is obviously a man who has great depth to himself. He truly understands this nation's (and indeed the entire world's) core problem and the daunting challenge that lies before all of us -- Truth! To be truthful as way of life is to be a person of integrity. If any of us here feels, thinks or believes that we, as a nation, have missed that mark of truthfulness over these many decades, then perhaps you can begin to appreciate just how tenuous our form of democracy has become. We have been living perilously and recklessly for many, many years -- personally, professionally and politically. For those of you who have been around here for a while and know me, you might recall that I have long maintained that the is country's core problem is first and foremost one of morality (or ethics) -- not politics!

Tillerson gets this. I get this. But how many of you get it?
Box, yes, you have said these things all along. You sure have.

This address was truly outstanding. I have cared about this man and his qualities since reading the book, Private Empire....the story of Exxon Mobil.

When CBS' Margaret Brennan interviewed him for 60 Minutes and snickered when he spoke of his being an Eagle Scout and his lifetime involvement with scouting...she showed how outclassed she was. ... Rex didn't flinch. She was so far over her head.

And, yes, I get it....I've been tested and humbled enough that I don't know where I'd be without it.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #15
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Anyone is welcome to point out a flip flop I've had in my decade on this board.

Happy hunting...

With Trump supporters its literally a weekly event.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: