Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-06-2018, 12:21 AM   #31
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
While it is true that salary cap room can be fool's gold, it is also true that not having any when you aren't a top team is also not a good spot to be in. A lot of teams are in that spot this year because of foolish spending a couple of years ago. The Thunder have gotten themselves into a tough spot with too much spending that netted them a four seed. At some point all teams are just better off blowing it up. With Kawhi gone, the Spurs are probably close to that level.
Sure, I think in general it's always it's better to have as much cap room as you need, and it's bad, but I think unavoidable to end up overpaying players like OKC and even moreso the CAVS have. But we're just talking about this specific situation. The Spurs have already said they don't want to blow it up and rebuild if Kawhi goes, they want to acquire good enough players to keep them in the playoffs. So if they believe that Kawhi really will sit it out, they need to see what they can get for him. If they think he'll eventually come around and play this year, they'll stand pat. I think he's not bluffing. Seems like I've posted a lot about this subject, but I really like Kawhi as a player and I'm also a fan of the team and am sorry to see the way this has all developed.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 07:01 AM   #32
Inner Dirt

Quote:
While it is true that salary cap room can be fool's gold, it is also true that not having any when you aren't a top team is also not a good spot to be in. A lot of teams are in that spot this year because of foolish spending a couple of years ago. The Thunder have gotten themselves into a tough spot with too much spending that netted them a four seed. At some point all teams are just better off blowing it up. With Kawhi gone, the Spurs are probably close to that level.

That and isn't Popovich in his early 70's? Probably time for him to step down.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #33
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
That and isn't Popovich in his early 70's? Probably time for him to step down.
Parker has left and now they let Kyle Anderson go without matching his contract. Feels like tank mode is coming really soon.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #34
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

This rookie Ayton for the Suns looks like he's going to be a serious ball player. I'm all for the return of the big man
Old 07-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #35
Valuist

Can anyone explain why the Bulls would extend LaVine 4 years at $78 million? What has he done to warrant anywhere near that kind of money?
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #36
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Can anyone explain why the Bulls would extend LaVine 4 years at $78 million? What has he done to warrant anywhere near that kind of money?
He is young and has shown a lot of promise at times, but that seems too much especially given his history of injuries.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:01 PM   #37
lansdale

Quote:
Parker has left and now they let Kyle Anderson go without matching his contract. Feels like tank mode is coming really soon.
Anderson was highly mediocre 8/5/3 and Parker nearly worthless at this point -- two players whose value is easily replaced. If they force Kawhi to play (and apparently NBA teams can sue for breach of contract, if he doesn't) they'll win 55 games. If they take Sixers' deal, they probably win ca. 50 -- i.e., a little better than last year. Really no need to tank -- at least yet.

There's much talk of Kawhi damaging his brand in this situation, but so is the Spurs organization in the eyes of NBA players -- it's always been viewed in a positive light and now the halo effect will be gone and it may be more difficult to get FAs to want to go there. A quick deal is in everyone's interest, and I have a feeling the Spurs will end up going for a a sweetened Sixer deal fairly soon.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #38
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
Anderson was highly mediocre 8/5/3 and Parker nearly worthless at this point -- two players whose value is easily replaced. If they force Kawhi to play (and apparently NBA teams can sue for breach of contract, if he doesn't) they'll win 55 games. If they take Sixers' deal, they probably win ca. 50 -- i.e., a little better than last year. Really no need to tank -- at least yet.

There's much talk of Kawhi damaging his brand in this situation, but so is the Spurs organization in the eyes of NBA players -- it's always been viewed in a positive light and now the halo effect will be gone and it may be more difficult to get FAs to want to go there. A quick deal is in everyone's interest, and I have a feeling the Spurs will end up going for a a sweetened Sixer deal fairly soon.

I think you underrate Anderson. He's a really good wing defender and was reasonably priced. He's also still young and just entering his prime.

I totally agree about Parker. Can't blame him for taking the money after taking paycuts in his prime.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #39
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post

I really question the assertion that the Spurs "brand" is being damaged by this. You have a player who is clearly being a baby; a well paid baby at that. The Spurs should not trade him and force him to play. Call his bluff. 20 years of positivity doesn't get cancelled out by one malcontent.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #40
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
I really question the assertion that the Spurs "brand" is being damaged by this. You have a player who is clearly being a baby; a well paid baby at that. The Spurs should not trade him and force him to play. Call his bluff. 20 years of positivity doesn't get cancelled out by one malcontent.
I've been saying the same, call his bluff. Basically nobody think Leonard is in the right here. His own teammates called him out last year, well respected teammates at that. Something isn't right with Leonard, either mentally, physically, or both.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #41
lansdale

Quote:
I think you underrate Anderson. He's a really good wing defender and was reasonably priced. He's also still young and just entering his prime.

I totally agree about Parker. Can't blame him for taking the money after taking paycuts in his prime.
Re Anderson, I think it would be more accurate to say he's a better than average player, but still not that difficult to replace that level of talent. My guess as to why they didn't match -- although's he's a good defender, the Spurs are now imbalanced toward one-way D guys, and they need more scoring, esp. 3-shooters. The recent re-acquisition of Belinelli, a rare move for them, seems to point in this direction.

The Spurs have cycled through a number of players similar to K. Anderson in the last few years, that they let go as FAs or waived ---- none have become stars elsewhere. I think they're generally right in believing that if their organization can't get more out of them, no one else will be able to.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #42
lansdale

Given Kawhi's legal situation, I think it's pretty clear that he is bluffing (a bad decision, but possibly not one made by him) and it's 100% that he'll be playing somewhere in the NBA next year. But, objectively, if the Spurs don't trade him, how good is that outcome for them? He'll be motivated to play well, to demonstrate his value, and they'll win ca. 55 games, but you can't build a future around him and you'll get nothing in return when he walks next year. This is actually a much better outcome for Kawhi than the Spurs.

However, if they deal him now, they'll likely be able to make the playoffs with whoever they get, which they claim is their goal, and the whole melodrama will be over. One way or another the Spurs have to accept that Kawhi is no longer a part of their future.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #43
lansdale

Kawhi to Toronto

Kawhi Leonard appears to have been dealt to the Toronto Raptors in a multi-player deal also involving Demar DeRozan and Danny Green. Seems like a lose-lose deal for both sides with Kawhi no more than a rental for the Raps, but Spurs undoubtedly will be better than last year.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #44
lansdale

NBA picks

A little late, since the NBA season got an early start last week, but....

NBA title: Warriors (in perpetuity)
MVP: Kawhi Leonard
Rookie of the Year: DeAndre Ayton
Old 11-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #45
lansdale

Butler trade

I realize the NBA isn't on many people's radar until at least the playoffs, but today's multiplayer deal between T'wolves and Sixers, sending J. Butler to the Sixers for Saric, Covington, etc. seems like one that can shake up the east, and maybe the Finals. Chemistry between the laid-back Embiic and the intense Butler maybe an obstacle, but Sixers would seem to be the beasts of the east now, if they can work things out.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: