Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: January 10

Race One:

SMILES FROM SADIE has performed well in this route, allowance-company. This Freud-bred bay filly has two 2nds at this level, at the distance. Lifetime, she’s hit the tote in 5 of her 6 tries. She can handle the 8 panels; yet the question remains: Can she win? That, my friends, is the overriding consideration. This filly has shown she can “catch the garter,” but, only once, has she “taken her vows”. Hark! There is an equipment addition: “rogue’s badge,” that is blinkers. It just might help her stay on task as the field turns into the stretch. Two pluses, her connections, the most capable Manny Franco is in the irons. Her conditioner is “El Mexicano,” Senor Rudy Rodriguez. Rodriguez does very well with horses making dirt starts. Others: 5, 4, 1A

Race Two:

BATTLE OF SARATOGA has been on an extended vacation. If he runs the way he’s capable of running, he can tower over this field. Yet, that vacation…I find it troubling. To assuage my worries, this lightly-raced 5-year old chestnut gelding did turn in a recent, solid 4-panels morning work, breezing. The last time this guy raced on the main at Aqueduct – over one year ago – he went off at 1-to-2, yet he finished a disappointing 3rd. I believe you need to ponder whether he’s worth the expected low-odds investment. Risk/Reward. Graham Motion, who hails from “Across the Pond, is this gelding’s conditioner. Junior Alvarado has his feet in the stirrups. Others: 2, 4, 5.

Race Three:

PRAGMATIST. I’m pragmatic (so was F.D.R), so I’ll go with this 4-year old Mizzen Mast-bred gelding (Is this a turf horse?) in this 20k MC. Gee, his last race was not very reassuring. I’m not quite certain why, but he finished up the track. However, I’m looking at that misguided effort as an aberration. An anomaly, even. This is, after all, his 3rd start off a layoff. This gelding has faced better in the past. Frankly, he may be better suited for the turf, but he may just prevail on the main. David Donk trains this Monarchos-bred (a little moisture would help). Yet, I particularly like the fact the Manny Franco is this gelding’s chauffeur. Senor Franco has been “as hot as a petardo.” Others: 4, 3, 1

Race Four:

GETYOURMINDRIGHT
(that name reminds me of “Cool Hand Luke”: “What we have here is a failure to communicate!) is my choice. This Stormy Atlantic-bred bay colt ran three times at Tampa Bay last winter. He did finish 2nd to Madison’s Luna, who, by the way, went on to win the Grade III Hutchenson at Gulfstream. In his next race this gelding finished up the track in a turf event. It turns out that he had a breathing problems. Horse vets did what is called the Llewellyn procedure to rectify the problem. He’s back. Hopefully, without his respiration difficulties. If he’s ready, he could romp. If… This gelding did fire off two “bullet” works in December. Chris DeCarlo is in the irons for trainer Stephen Lyster. Others: 4, 3, 1

Race Five:

ALLEY TO CAVALRY is my long-shot try. Yes, he’s been racing on the turf, but this chestnut filly did break her maiden at first her maiden at first-asking on the main at Aqueduct last March. She’s certainly capable. Yes, admittedly, she been away from the races for two months; that is a concern. However, she’s now under the tutelage of the most capable trainer, Bruce Levine. Levine does well in the 1st after a claim category. Rajiv Maragh reprises the ride. Others: 5, 4, 1

Race Six:

COURAGEOUS QUEEN is dropping precipitously out of allowance company into a 25k claimer (Do I dare say: “suspicious”). If she’s right and she runs the way she’s capable of running, she can win, easily. But, again, why the steep drop? Personally, I would proceed with caution. Oh, I like her, at least on paper, but… I’d watch this filly in the walking ring and when she steps on to the track. Take a look at her odds. It’s Manny Franco for Todd Pletcher. Others: 3, 2, 6.

Race Seven:

CALCULATED RISKER has faced better; yet, I’d like him even more if there’s moisture on the track. He’ll move up if that’s the case. This 5-year old has been away for well over one month. This is his 3rd start off a layoff; I like that angle. Manny Franco has hit feet in the stirrups for trainer Ray Handal. Others: 7, 6, 8.

Race Eight:

KATHY’S CAUSE is my pick in the 7-panels MC finale. This Giant’s Causeway-bred can get the distance. She proved that with a 3rd-place finish in a route. The up-and-coming “bug,” Reylu Guterrez, is in the irons. I believe this chestnut filly fits well in this company. Jim Ryerson trains. Others: 1/1A, 7, 5.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: