Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 01-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: Saturday, January 12

Race One:

In her last, her first, pari-mutuel that is, on New Year’s Day,LADYBERG got pinched, sandwiched, and "pin-balled" between two flippers -- call it what you will – at the start. That less than auspicious entrance to her “coming-out" party severely compromised any chance this Teuflesberg-bred filly had of winning that 5 and ½ panels, 30k, MC sprint. I might add, that in that one, her jockey, Jose Lezcano, then took this gal to the inside. She proceeded to lollygag along the rail. Yet, she did finish with a degree of enthusiasm. This filly now moves further to her outside. This may help her avoid any traffic jams. She also stretches out one panel. Dermot Magner trains this Johannesburg-bred distaffer. Jose Lezcano reprises the ride. Others: 8, 1, 2.

Race Two:

Most of OVERNEGOTIATE’s best efforts have come either on the grass or wet-track mains. That begs the question: How will she fair on a dry main-track? If she can handle today’s fast conditions, this 5-year old can win... I’ll say one thing, her connections are excellent. Manny Franco is a most solid reinsman. Rudy Rodriguez is a very good conditioner. However, it’s the horse who must perform. Will she? Personally, I’d tread lightly in this lower-level claiming sprint. I’d take a closer-than-usual look at the horses themselves on the track and on the tote-board Others: 1, 7, 5.

Race Three:

DARK N CLOUDY hasn’t raced since around last Thanksgiving. At the time, this colt was nailed at the wire as the 3-to-2 fave. This highly-priced Distorted Humor-bred has a chance to make amends. This grey appears to hold an edge on most of these. His trainer, Jason Servis, is having an excellent meet; he does well in most racing categories. An additional plus could be the turn back to the 6 and ½ panels sprint. Jose Lezcano is in the irons. Other: 7, 2, 4.

Race Four:

HEARTBUSTINGIRL hasn’t been seen around these NYRA parts since she finished 2nd to a runaway winner at “The Spa” about five months ago. In that Saratoga MSW, this Bustin Stones-bred got caught 4-wide on the upper; yet she held on for the “place-dough”. The late Aretha Franklin might have talked about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Well, I see in this City Zip-bred bay filly: I-M-P-R-O-V-E-M-E-N-T. “Big D’s” (“Most Happy Fella”) Todd Pletcher trains (his maiden-to-mdn claiming numbers are “off the charts”). Manny Franco is in the irons. Others: 5, 9, 8.

Race Five:

“Can he last? Can he last?” The cry of “the railbird”. If Rajiv Maragh can ration out this guy’s speed, he wins. Big “IF”. He’s faced better over his career. I’m talking about the 4-year old Flatter-bred bay gelding, FLATEXCEL. In recent tries, this Flat Out-bred has been competing against much better. As water seeks its own level (a little physics), this gelding may have found his in this lower-level 14k claiming sprint, 3NL. This Bruce Levine-trainee should be in the hunt, early. He must – to win – maintain that early advantage. Others: 5, 4, 3.

Race Six:

GO BIG OR GO HOME gets my tepid, lukewarm nod in this lower-level claiming sprint. “What’s to like?” you ask. First of all, this Ghostzapper-bred 5-year old is turning back two panels. He ambitiously faced much, much better in his last, only to fade at the top of the stretch in the aforementioned 8-panels route as a 9-1 shot (I doubt you’ll get anything resembling those odd, today). Gary Gullo trains. Gullo has “off-the-wall” numbers with horses going sprint-route-sprint. This Awesome Again-bred will be forwardly placed. He should be in contention throughout. Eric Cancel reprises the ride. Others: 8, 7, 3.

Race Seven:

In this 70k Allowance, n1x, I ask: “Is the rail the “highway” to the winner’s circle? Is there a track bias? If the rail is the place to be, this multi-cultural bred bay gelding moves up. I’m talking about YAMANO MAKER. This Empire Maker-bred colt won at this distance last time, in late-November, in a race that was taken off the turf. After that maiden-breaking win, is this guy ready to exit the “one win” ranks? The Hall-of-Famer from the South Dakota, Bill Mott (remember Cigar), trains. Junior Alvarado reprises the ride. Others: 8, 6, 3.

Race Eight:

In the feature, the Say Florida Sandy Stakes to be contested over the distance of 7 furlongs for New York state-breds for a purse of 100k. GOLD FOR THE KING stands out here. If he runs the way he’s capable of running, he should easily handle this non-graded stakes field. It should be noted that this gelding did finish third in the Gravesend just before Christmas. Yet I believe he holds a class edge on these. Don’t expect much from the mutuels. Even-money or less seems likely. Risk/Reward. Junior Alvarado is in the irons for trainer Charley Baker. Baker does very well with last-race beaten favorites. Others: 9, 6, 5.

Race Nine:

In the finale, I’m picking the Gary Contessa entry, /, CROSS MULTIPLY and THERESA’S BOY. I freely admit that this is a tough 25k state-bred MC race to handicap. The aforementioned entry is a combined 0 for 38, lifetime. I contend that makes my pick not a very reassuring one. Yet, Cross Multiply with Junior Alvarado has hit the tote in half his tries. Theresa’s Boy, with Luis Reyes aboard, has graced the tote in eight of 20 tries. One of these two has as good a chance as any of “breaking the ice.” Others worthy of consideration: 3, 9, 6.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
Suff
Beat up 💪

Astute

1.5/2
2. 8/5
3. 8/5
4. 3-1
5. 4-1