Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Poker

Old 09-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #61
Tor Ekman

Wife has brunch date with friends so heading back to Resorts Catskills poker room on Sunday to have another go at it. Since my maiden outing, I've read and re-read Essential Poker Math by Alton Hardin and The Course by Ed Miller, both very instructive with some keen insights.
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #62
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
Wife has brunch date with friends so heading back to Resorts Catskills poker room on Sunday to have another go at it. Since my maiden outing, I've read and re-read Essential Poker Math by Alton Hardin and The Course by Ed Miller, both very instructive with some keen insights.
why7 bother with Hamburg, when you can have Stake. go read Dan Harrington's book. i think its called Harrington on Poker.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #63
thaskalos

Here's a great book...and the hardcover edition in very good condition is offered for $1.75 plus shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Phil-Gordons-...8847187&sr=1-1
Old 09-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #64
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Here's a great book...and the hardcover edition in very good condition is offered for $1.75 plus shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Phil-Gordons-...8847187&sr=1-1
Phil Gordon?....It's a buck too much...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2019, 09:16 PM   #65
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
I was going to say $1.75 too much!!!!
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #66
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
The best players aren't the best teachers.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #67
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The best players aren't the best teachers.
You haven't mentioned a "best" player yet....Let me know when you get around to that...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #68
Tor Ekman

Report on my second try at live $1/2 no-limit at Resorts Catskills: Got there at 11am and was seated immediately. Good thing I got there early because they had a tournament going on and were short of dealers, so by noon there was a long waiting list, enough to start 2 more tables but they couldn't open up because of dealer shortage - lots of grumpy players waiting around.

Anyway, played from 11am-6pm, and ended the day up $145, which was not too bad considering that similar to my first outing, fairly early in the day I faced an all-in decision, only this time I made the call but was second best and got stacked off. I didn't sweat it, just bought in for another $200 and grinded my way back to a profitable day.

Wife's next brunch date is November 3, so more reading and studying up until then.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:46 AM   #69
proximity

good report te, and congratulations on the win!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #70
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Report on my second try at live $1/2 no-limit at Resorts Catskills: Got there at 11am and was seated immediately. Good thing I got there early because they had a tournament going on and were short of dealers, so by noon there was a long waiting list, enough to start 2 more tables but they couldn't open up because of dealer shortage - lots of grumpy players waiting around.

Anyway, played from 11am-6pm, and ended the day up $145, which was not too bad considering that similar to my first outing, fairly early in the day I faced an all-in decision, only this time I made the call but was second best and got stacked off. I didn't sweat it, just bought in for another $200 and grinded my way back to a profitable day.

Wife's next brunch date is November 3, so more reading and studying up until then.
Thanks for sharing. That is what this thread is for.

BTW, poker can be addicting! (You may have caught the Texas Holdem bug.).
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #71
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post

BTW, poker can be addicting! (You may have caught the Texas Holdem bug.).
No doubt, it's all I can read, study and think about lately in preparation for my next outing. Any suggestions on good books welcome. Just finishing up Tommy Angelo's Elements of Poker, which is somewhat anecdotal but contains some great insights into playing and living with the game. Also find his blog articles very entertaining and informative. Will probably read Sklansky's Theory of Poker next.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #72
Tor Ekman

Does anybody here do off table study work using Equilab, Flopzilla or other software analysis? Just starting to fiddle around with Equilab to work on my hand ranging and sizing up how certain ranges hit certain flops. Seems like a good practice exercise
Old 10-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #73
dilanesp

Quote:
Does anybody here do off table study work using Equilab, Flopzilla or other software analysis? Just starting to fiddle around with Equilab to work on my hand ranging and sizing up how certain ranges hit certain flops. Seems like a good practice exercise
Yes and yes.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #74
Tor Ekman

Seven years of higher education and I've never studied a subject more intriguing than the theory and strategies of no limit hold 'em . . . fascinating stuff.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #75
Tor Ekman

So a quick update on my recent outings, I got an unexpected opportunity to play the Sunday over Columbus Day weekend, started out tight and played aggressively and worked up a nice plus $200 margin a couple times but got too loose about starting hands and also position play, wound up in some bad spots betting too aggressively and twice frittered away my winnings and ended the day minus $40. Lesson learned. Played yesterday and stayed focused on starting hand selection and position play and also exercised better pot control when I was unsure of things, plus had the good fortune of what seemed a very soft table compared to my previous outings including one particularly loose bad player who dropped close to $1,000. Bottom line, I played 6 hours yesterday and left the table up $630 profit for the day. I still feel a bit jittery when first sitting down at the table but I'm learning to settle in and settle down to play a tight aggressive game. Lots of fun.