Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #2101
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Conservative columnist Bret Stephens said Michael Cohen’s guilty plea delivered damning evidence against President Donald Trump — and showed Russia had undermined the integrity of American democracy.
Is it supposed to make it MORE IMPORTANT that someone who is labeled "conservative" writes a hit piece on Trump?

Just asking.

Cause in reality, it makes no difference...there were TONS of these kinds of people during the campaign, before Trump won. You remember them. The never-Trumpers. So-called "conservatives/Republicans" against Trump.

Impotent then. Impotent now.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #2102
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
A question. Is it illegal for a candidate to continue or pursue business?
In certain cases yes.

Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
https://www.justice.gov/criminal-fra...-practices-act

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, as amended, 15 U.S.C. §§ 78dd-1, et seq. ("FCPA"), was enacted for the purpose of making it unlawful for certain classes of persons and entities to make payments to foreign government officials to assist in obtaining or retaining business. Specifically, the anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA prohibit the willful use of the mails or any means of instrumentality of interstate commerce corruptly in furtherance of any offer, payment, promise to pay, or authorization of the payment of money or anything of value to any person, while knowing that all or a portion of such money or thing of value will be offered, given or promised, directly or indirectly, to a foreign official to influence the foreign official in his or her official capacity, induce the foreign official to do or omit to do an act in violation of his or her lawful duty, or to secure any improper advantage in order to assist in obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person.

Not only that but although there is no law as of yet requiring the presidential candidate to disclose income taxes, it is common practice and has been done to avoid conflicts of interest, or the appearance of such.

Also it can be a violation of the The Title of Nobility Clause is a provision in Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution,[1] that prohibits the federal government from granting titles of nobility, and restricts members of the government from receiving gifts, emoluments, offices or titles from foreign states and monarchies without the consent of the United States Congress. Also known as the Emoluments Clause,

Not to mention another case of lying about his connections. Why?

He knew it would not go over well publicly, even if he and his inept legal advisors might have thought inaccurately that everything was just hunky dory
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #2103
Ocala Mike

Quote:

A question. Is it illegal for a candidate to continue or pursue business?
Pursuing "business" in Russia is, unfortunately, the same as dealing with a hostile government. He should have known better, but then again, when has the appearance or actuality of impropriety ever stopped Individual 1.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #2104
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
In certain cases yes.

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, as amended, 15 U.S.C. §§ 78dd-1, et seq. ("FCPA"), was enacted for the purpose of making it unlawful for certain classes of persons and entities to make payments to foreign government officials to assist in obtaining or retaining business. Specifically, the anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA prohibit the willful use of the mails or any means of instrumentality of interstate commerce corruptly in furtherance of any offer, payment, promise to pay, or authorization of the payment of money or anything of value to any person, while knowing that all or a portion of such money or thing of value will be offered, given or promised, directly or indirectly, to a foreign official to influence the foreign official in his or her official capacity, induce the foreign official to do or omit to do an act in violation of his or her lawful duty, or to secure any improper advantage in order to assist in obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person.

Not only that but although there is no law as of yet requiring the presidential candidate to disclose income taxes, it is common practice and has been done to avoid conflicts of interest, or the appearance of such.

Also it can be a violation of the The Title of Nobility Clause is a provision in Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution,[1] that prohibits the federal government from granting titles of nobility, and restricts members of the government from receiving gifts, emoluments, offices or titles from foreign states and monarchies without the consent of the United States Congress. Also known as the Emoluments Clause,

He knew it would not go over well publicly, even if he and his inept legal advisors might have thought inaccurately that everything was just hunky dory
The above does not apply. It is about U.S. citizens bribing foreign officials to induce foreign officials to break their laws and the Emoluments Clause does not apply to a candidate because Trump has not received a title of nobility and a candidate is not a member of government.

Unless you are saying Trump was bribing Russian elected officials to break Russian law? The person you quoted said the opposite, Trump is beholden to the Russians and not that the Russians are beholding to Trump.

Again, I ask is it illegal for a candidate to pursue business interests?

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 11-30-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #2105
chrisl

Quote:
In certain cases yes.

Google, copy, adjust to your ideology, paste.....repeat..
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #2106
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
Google, copy, adjust to your ideology, paste.....repeat..
you forgot the Bold some or is that covered with 'adjust to your ideology'?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #2107
hcap

Quote:
The above does not apply.

Unless you are saying Trump was bribing Russian elected officials to break Russian law? The person you quoted said the opposite, Trump is beholden to the Russians.

Again, I ask is it illegal for a candidate to pursue business interests?
Has nothing to do with bribing Russians to beak their laws. Bribery alone is enough.
Quote:
was enacted for the purpose of making it unlawful for certain classes of persons and entities to make payments to foreign government officials to assist in obtaining or retaining business.
Trump was trying to grease the Russians and specifically Putin by offering him a 50 million dollar apartment in Trump Towers Moscow.

The Emoluments Clause, prohibits presidents and other high officials from....

The Title of Nobility Clause is a provision in Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution,[1] that prohibits the federal government from granting titles of nobility, and restricts members of the government from receiving gifts, emoluments, offices or titles from foreign states and monarchies without the consent of the United States Congress.

Trump already even before profiting from Trump Tower Moscow, has run afoul of that constitutional clause

Federal Lawsuit Against President Trump's Business Interests Allowed To Proceed
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/25/63230...wed-to-proceed

Federal District Judge Peter Messitte denied the Department of Justice's request to dismiss a case brought by the attorneys general of Maryland and the District of Columbia. The Emoluments Clause bars any president from personally profiting from his dealings with foreign governments — or even U.S. state governments.

It's the first ruling in federal court to define "emolument," which goes undefined in the U.S. Constitution's two emoluments clauses.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #2108
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

WOW Hcap, you couldn't be any deeper in that rabbit hole you're digging in....

Dig another foot or two and we'll start shoveling the dirt back on top of you...

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 11-30-2018 at 05:09 PM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #2109
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Has nothing to do with bribing Russians to beak their laws. Bribery alone is enough.

Trump was trying to grease the Russians and specifically Putin by offering him a 50 million dollar apartment in Trump Towers Moscow.

The Emoluments Clause, prohibits presidents and other high officials from....

The Title of Nobility Clause is a provision in Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution,[1] that prohibits the federal government from granting titles of nobility, and restricts members of the government from receiving gifts, emoluments, offices or titles from foreign states and monarchies without the consent of the United States Congress.

Trump already even before profiting from Trump Tower Moscow, has run afoul of that constitutional clause

Federal Lawsuit Against President Trump's Business Interests Allowed To Proceed
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/25/63230...wed-to-proceed

Federal District Judge Peter Messitte denied the Department of Justice's request to dismiss a case brought by the attorneys general of Maryland and the District of Columbia. The Emoluments Clause bars any president from personally profiting from his dealings with foreign governments — or even U.S. state governments.

It's the first ruling in federal court to define "emolument," which goes undefined in the U.S. Constitution's two emoluments clauses.
It has everything to do with bribing foreign officials in their official duties. A foreign official's duties have nothing to do with enforcing the laws of the U.S. Also, a candidate is not the President.

Quote:
The core aim of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) is to prohibit companies and their individual officers from influencing foreign officials with any personal payments or rewards.
[emphasis added]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreig..._Practices_Act

Do you see the part in bold, it is to prevent companies and their individual officers from influencing foreign officials. The statute has no applicability unless the Russians owe Trump favors and not vice-a-versa as you are alleging.

A trial court letting a case go forward means the matter is in litigation and it has not been resolved.

A candidate is not the president, just ask HRC.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:42 PM   #2110
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Pursuing "business" in Russia is, unfortunately, the same as dealing with a hostile government. He should have known better, but then again, when has the appearance or actuality of impropriety ever stopped Individual 1.
Known better than that? Is it illegal for U.S. companies and citizens to do business with Russia? BTW the appearance of impropriety applies to professions and situations where impartiality is of the utmost importance. I am sure impartiality is not a requirement of real estate development companies.

Your statement is exactly why I told FanDan I am on the side of justice for all. If it is not illegal for other people to do business with Russia or China it is not illegal only for Trump.

This thought process of everything Trump does is illegal is an attack on our cherished values grounded in the concept of justice for all.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #2111
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

There are at least 3,000 U.S. companies doing business in Russia and they all must be breaking the law, per the Trump standard. Among them some very well known names. http://www.aalep.eu/american-companies-operating-russia

This list doesn't count law firms, real estate firms or individuals. Throw them all in jail
Old 11-30-2018, 06:25 PM   #2112
lamboguy

to bad the deal never got done, i would have loved to look at this $50 million condo in downtown Moscow.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #2113
chadk66

hell you could buy half of moscow for fifty million
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #2114
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
to bad the deal never got done, i would have loved to look at this $50 million condo in downtown Moscow.
It comes stocked with several leftover cases of Trump Vodka.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #2115
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
It comes stocked with several leftover cases of Trump Vodka.
Don't forget Trump Ice....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply