Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 07-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
Teach

Saratoga: Wednesday, July 17

“Ah Ma…We’re back at The Spa!”

Before I begin, let me put on my meteorologist’s hat. As we speak, showers are in and around the Saratoga area. I’m predicating my selections based on the belief that significant rain will have fallen on the Saratoga Race Course before their 1 p.m. start-time

Race One:

I don’t know enough about “the jumpers” to offer you a selection.

Race Two: The Rick Violette

I’m going with the rail horse, the bay ridgling, Theitalianamerican . This 2-year old’s jockey, Jo-el Rosario, will have to angle this A.P. Indy-bred to the outside for his run through the stretch. This Girolamo-bred closed very well in the stretch in his last race, The Tremont. That despite coming 6-wide. In that race, this Quiet American-bred came from off the tail-gate (he was 10 lengths behind at one stage of the race) to finish a fast-closing 2nd to a runaway, gate-to-wire winner, Fore Left. Gary Contessa trains. Others: , ,

Race Three:

I’m predicating my pick upon the belief that this sprint will be taken off the turf and run on the main at Five and One-Half Furlongs. My selection is Fully Vested. This Discreet Cat (Forestry)-bred has a solid-wet-track pedigree. This lightly-raced 5-year old did handle the grass at Monmouth in his last, yet I believe he is equally, if not better-suited, for the main. I believe this gelding’s outside starting post is a plus. This Unbridled-bred has the services of the Panamanian-born jinete, Jose Lezcano. Tom Albertrani trains. Others: , ,

Race Four:

Again, my assumption, this one-mile race will be run on the main. My pick is Flat Rate. This Rudy Rodriguez-trained MTO should relish the wet-going. Yes, he is moving up the claiming ladder, and yes, he’s stretching out a couple panels off his last 2nd-place finish. But this Violence-bred colt has won at 7 panels. Manny Franco is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Five:

In this MSW 5 and ½ panels sprint, after much hemming and hawing, I’ve landed on Myawaya. This Todd Pletcher-trained first-time starter has a solid wet-track pedigree. This 2-year old filly had a sharp, recent 4-panels work. She stopped the clocker’s watch at :48 and tick, breezing from the gate. Johnny V., the Hall-of-Famer, is in the irons. In any event, I’ll be watching this filly and the others in the field, both on the track and on the board. Others: , ,

Race Six:

I’m handicapping based on my belief that this sprint will be run on the main. My pick, Matzo Bella. This 3-year old Gio Ponti-bred filly has had only one race on the main; she finished 3rd against slightly better at GP. I believe this filly, although a turf horse, is adaptable enough to win on the dirt. Her pilot is Jo-el Rosario. Jason Servis – he does very well in all racing categories - is this filly’s conditioner. This Tale of The Cat-bred has been away from the races since early June, yet a solid recent work bolsters confidence. Others: , ,

Race Seven:

Again, I’m off the turf. I’ve landed on the outside horse, Azrael. This highly-priced Unbridled Song-bred ran a similar race on the dirt at Belmont about a month ago. He led the field, in that one, to the top of the stretch, only to fade to 3rd. Javier Castellano must ration out this Cross Traffic-bred's speed. This colt’s trainer, Chad Brown, does very well with horses entered in their 2nd career race. Others: , ,

Race Eight:

Maiden Beauty gets my tepid nod in this wide-open 100k claimer. This War Pass-bred 3-year old moves way up on a wet track (this filly’s only 2 wins have come on a wet track). This filly went wire-to-wire in her last on a muddy track. Jose Ortiz has the call. Gary Contessa trains. Others: , , ,

Race Nine:

In this 6-panels sprint, I’m going with the outside horse, Bluegrass Jamboree. This Charlie Baker-trained Bluegrass Cat-bred has been a consistent sort; she’s hit the tote in 70% of her lifetime tries. This mare will move up on a wet track. The aforementioned Baker has a stellar record with horses that were beaten favorites in their last race. Jose Lezcano reprises the ride. Others: , ,

Race Ten:

In the finale (again, I’m predicating off the turf), I’ve landed on the Violent Point. Admittedly, this bay filly tired markedly in the stretch of her last, her only pari-mutuel start. This Medaglia d’Oro-bred filly has had about one month to improve off her last effort. Her most recent morning work was good. Johnny V. will have to ration out this 2-year old’s speed. Mark Casse trains. Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: