Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: Wednesday, April 10

Race One:

FINAL SAY had a troubled trip in his last on March 10, a one-mile route on a sloppy track. In that one, this highly-priced Medaglia d’Oro-bred colt bobbled slightly at the start (he was later lightly bumped) and he was also steadied. In addition, throughout the race, this colt’s jockey, Jose Lezcano, appeared to be having his hands full. Left-handed whip. Right-handed whip. Inside. Outside. Lezcano seemed stymied at every turn as he tried to put this colt into a position to make a move. At the top of the stretch, as he raced wide, this colt was blocked by Orbed (entered in today’s race). Lezcano eventually took this 3-year old bay colt to the inside. But, by then, it was too late. This Holy Bull-bred finished 4th; he was just edged out for 3rd place. Today, the colt’s trainer, Todd Pletcher, adds blinkers. That might help keep this Holy Princess-bred focused. By the way, the broodmare, Holy Princess, had 8 winners and 3 stakes winners from 12 starters. The aforementioned Pletcher does exceptionally well with horses making their second route start. Johnny V. is in the irons. I look for improvement.

SAMARONTI hardly “raised a gallop” in his only pari-mutuel start. This highly-priced ($725k at Keeneland Sales, 2017) Violence-bred colt languished near the rear of the field throughout much of that large-field race. Yet, I’m willing to give this Medaglia d’Oro-bred colt “a mulligan”. I believe this 3-year old has the potential to make a marked improvement off his initial dismal effort. I’m curious as to what this colt goes off at? That might provide a clue. One note of caution: This Harlan’s Holiday-bred hasn’t raced since that initial try in late-January at Gulfstream. Yet this colt’s most recent morning work was good. The pride of Mechanicsville, NY, Chad Brown, trains. Manny Franco is the pilot.

3 Tiz Morning finished at tiring 6th in that previously cited “Erlich race” back on March 10. I do not view this Tiznow-bred 4-year old gelding as a “win-candidate”; yet to earn a minor award is not completely out of the question. As I look over his “lines,” I believe he didn’t take well to the sloppy racetrack in his last. However, it should be noted in his two prior races in this MSW company, he did finish 2nd. I believe that racing on a fast track will move this 4-year old up. How far up…that is the question? Dylan Davis in the irons for trainer Ed Davis.

ORBED finished 2nd in that “Erlich race”. This highly-priced ($525k at Fasig-Tipton, 2017) Malibu Moon-bred went off as the chalk in that one. This gelding appeared to show an affinity for wet-track racing conditions. Yet, today, this Dixie Union-bred will likely to catch a fast track. What bearing that will have I’m not sure. Oh, I do have one vexing concern: “Is today’s one-mile race a ‘Bridge Too Far’?” 7-panels and “sprints” would appear to be this gelding’s ideal distances. Personally, I’m not inclined to see this Orb-bred as a “win candidate”. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the stirrups for Rudy Rodriguez.

SKYWRITING ran a better race than his 5th place finish at GP about one month ago would appear to indicate. Yet, I believe this highly-priced colt may well be challenged to “get” the one-mile distance. In his last, this Super Saver-bred was bumped at the start; yet he then ranged up on the outside to quickly get into contention. On the back-straight, this colt was sitting 3rd among the front-three horses; they were putting up quarter-horse-like fractions. This Maria’s Mon-bred was moving quickly on the outside as the horses reached the far turn; yet as the field turned into the stretch, this Sky Mesa-bred appeared to be running out of gas. This colt would end up fading to 5th. This Jimmy Jerkens trainee (Jerkens does very well with: 1st at a route) may have benefitted from that Gulfstream race, his initial start. As cited, my handicapping conundrum centers on this colt’s ability to handle the one-mile distance. I ask: “Was it the distance itself or was it the fact that he was hard-used in the early stages of the race? I would lean toward the former, yet I wouldn’t dismiss the latter. This bay colt may surprise. Jose Lezcano has the call. I would label this colt: “a sleeper”.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Teach

Race Two:

THERE GOES JOSE is a “plodder” who might just go “all the way”. Frankly, this gelding appears to do his best work on wet-surfaces (a fast track is expected; yet, there were showers in the New York City area early last evening). This gelding’s trainer, Rob Atras, is having an outstanding Aqueduct meet. Atras does exceptionally well with horses entered in dirt races. I’m tending to look at this Chief Seattle-bred as a “board hitter” who might, at his very best, “get all the enchiladas”. Joey Martinez has the call.

2 Call the Cat’s breeding appears to indicate a predilection for the turf. Yet this Giant’s Causeway-bred’s only win came on a fast dirt track against somewhat better. This Gary Sciacca-trainee has shown so little lately; it would take a complete reversal of form… I will say one thing: This gelding has faced better in the past. It’s just that his current form has been so dismal. Kevin Carmona is in the irons.

THERE HE GOES easily won his last against better; this gelding now moves up now to face winners. Yet, this Street Cry-bred has been away from the races for nearly two months. His most recent morning work was decent. This Skip Away-bred looks like “a contendah”. Yet, his hiatus does give cause for concern. Danny Gargan trains – for who else? – Midwest Thoroughbreds. Gargan does well with horses entered in claiming events.

UNION WISE takes a sharp drop down the claiming ladder. His trainer, Jim Ryerson, has given this highly-priced Union Rags (Dixie Union)-bred a 2-month vacation (I assume to try to figure why this grey gelding hasn’t been performing up to his potential). I believe that if they’ve gotten this Tactical Cat-bred straightened out, he’s capable of winning (that is a big “IF”). This grey gelding has, in his favor, turned in a couple solid morning works. Reylu Gutierrez is in the irons. I see this gelding as “a sleeper”.

5 Local Edition has shown little in recent tries. This Lemon Drop Kid-bred appears to do his best running on a wet track. This gelding is cutting back one panel; that may help. So too are the services of Irad Ortiz, Jr. Richard Schosberg trains. A minor award is a possibility.

METAPHORICAL is another gelding who has shown little in his two most recent starts. In his defense, this bay gelding had issues leaving the gate in his last. This Distorted Humor-bred did break his maiden at today’s distance in late November at “The Big A” against better in a race that was taken off the turf. This is this Forty Niner-bred’s third-start off a layoff (I like that handicapping angle). The 4-year old’s trainer, Ray Handal, does well with horses entered in claiming events. Manny Franco has the call. I see this Grand Reward-bred as a potential board-hitter.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
Teach

Race Three:

1 You Tell Me ships in from Penn National where he won out his lifetime conditions in a route two months ago. This gelding was claimed out of that one by his new owner-trainer, Jeffrey Englehart. I should mention that Englehart has a mediocre record when it comes to both 1st start after a claim and 46-90 days away from the track. I wouldn’t rule out a minor award for this French Deputy-bred 5-year old, but I would be reluctant to put him on top. Kendrick Carmouche is in the irons.

PLAYTHATFUNNYMUSIC, the other half of the Englehart entry, would appear to have a better chance of getting his picture taken. This Disco Rico-bred finished 3rd in this company in his last race in late March. This Citidancer-bred shows an early turn of foot. It is possible that this 6-year old could find himself on the lead or possibly in a stalking position. My only concern is the 8-panels distance. The gelding’s jockey, Dylan Davis, will need to ration out this Yes It’s True-bred’s speed. I should mention that this is this gelding’s 3rd start off a layoff.

BIG THICKET took part in one of the plethora of higher-priced, non-graded stakes claiming events that were carded on March 30. This colt finished a weakening 3rd in that 7-panels race. And here’s “the rub,” at least when it comes to this 4-year old: “Can he ‘get’ the 8-panels distance?” I wouldn’t rule it out, yet his pilot, Rajiv Maragh, is going to have to do some serious rationing. This is this Union Rags (Dixie Union)-bred’s 2nd start for his trainer, Jim Ferraro. Ferraro is just one-for-9 with horses making their second start under his tutelage. I’m not thinking so much about a win bet; yet this colt is capable of “mopping up” a gimmick.

3 O Shea Can You See would appear to be out of his element in this one-mile route. This Curlin-bred has been doing his best running in sprints. The added two furlongs of today’s race appears to be imposing. I find this owner-trainer Eduardo Jones’ entrant difficult to recommend. Oscar Gomez is in the irons.

4- Stretch’s Stone appears to do some of his best running on wet tracks (not forthcoming). This 5-year old was beaten by weaker in his last (this gelding went off as a 2-to-1 shot). He finished 3rd. This Bustin Stones-bred was claimed out of his last race by the Noda Brothers. Orlando Noda trains. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. It’s possible that this gelding could earn a minor award in this nondescript field.

HERE COMES TOMMY is what I call a “back-ender”. By that I mean a horse that is capable of hitting the tote, but one who usually ends up finishing 2nd or 3rd as opposed to winning. This 9-year old Freud-bred fits that definition to a tee. In fact, this Storm Cat-bred only won out his lifetime conditions last year as an 8-year old. I will say this on his behalf, this Rubiano-bred has faced better. I certainly wouldn’t rule him out. This gelding is capable of getting the one-mile distance. I believe he would move up if there were any moisture (recent weather forecasts appear to make that scenario, unlikely). The veteran reinsman, Mike Luzzi, is in the stirrups for the capable John Morrison.

FLEET IRISH is another gelding who would have benefitted from a wet track (apparently that is not going to happen, today). It’s the Joel Sone-Rachel Sells combination. Frankly, at first blush, I am inclined to dismiss this Dublin-bred’s chances, but I believe that, at his best, this Afleet Alex-bred can garner a position on the infield tote. I should note that this gelding hasn’t raced in well over a month. Yet, tucked away, in plain sight (sounds like an oxymoron) is a morning work in which this 5-year old turned in a one-minute, 5-panels “bullet” on March 16 at the Belmont training track. If that effort were to manifest itself on the racetrack…. I see this horse, in my own parlance, as “a sleeper” who might just add value to an exotic.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
Teach

Race Four:

GOT THE GIST broke her maiden in a one-mile route on the main a few weeks ago against lesser. I’m a wee bit skeptical about this mare’s turf pedigree (I consider it marginal). This Looking at Lucky-bred mare has had three lifetime tries on the lawn; she has just one 3rd place finish. Further, I’m also skeptical about this mare’s ability to handle the mile and a “teenth” distance. A minor award? Kendrick Carmouche is in the irons for trainer Danny Gargan. Gargan does well with maiden winners of their last race.

3 Third Card Down looks more like a sprinter than a router. I’m inclined to dismiss her chances.

4 Party in the Sand has never raced on the lawn. I see this Street Cry-bred filly more of a sprinter than a router. I can offer little hope for her chances in this race.

5 Candy Boss ships in from Prx where she has finished 3rd in three straight dirt races. This Candy Ride-bred has tried the grass seven times in her career; yet she has failed to grace the tote. On that basis, I offer little hope for her chances. I would add that this mare has been on the shelf for about three months. Yet, her trainer, Luis Carvajal, Jr., does well with horses that have been “de vacaciones”. This mare has only one lifetime win in 22 tries. This mare has a solid turf pedigree “on top”. If this were a sprint I might be more interested, but it’s not. Jorge Vargas, Jr. is in the irons.

6 Midnight Crossing has failed to hit the board in her two lifetime turf tries. Yet, it should be noted that there is decent turf breeding “on the bottom,” i.e., English Channel. Further, this Empire Way-bred impresses me more as a sprinter than a router. Jorge Perez for Greg DiPrima.

RATTLESNAKE BITE has tried the lawn twice in her brief racing career. On both occasions she finished up the track in large-field races. I believe this grey filly’s turf pedigree is suspect. Yet, in her favor, she did break her maiden in a 7-furlongs race on the main at Prx about one month ago. She looks like she can handle today’s route distance. Yet, how will she perform on the grass? I wouldn’t rule out a minor award. Carlos Hernandez for trainer Gerald Seymour.

8 Eight Minute Ellie had one try on the grass and finished 3rd. Yet, this Paynter-bred hasn’t won in a month of Sundays. In addition, this filly has generally faced weaker and – I might add – without much success. I’m inclined to dismiss her chances.

DYNAMITE KITTEN has been an enigma. Her connections paid 100k for her. But she has been, thus far, a disappointment. John Kimmel started her on the turf last year at Belmont in MSWs. She appeared competitive but faded in the stretch. This Leroidesanimaux’s next two races were taken off the turf and run on the main. They produced a 2nd place finish and a distant 4th place finish. This past December, this filly broke her maiden against somewhat weaker in a one-mile race. Yet, in her most recent start this Dynaformer-bred was eased. I ask: “Which Dynamite Kitten do we get?” In her favor, this filly’s most recent works have been good. Junior Alvarado reprises the ride for the aforementioned John Kimmel.

NEEDS NO ICE is a potential “board-hitter”. But, I ask: “Is she a turf-race ‘board hitter’?” I plan to use her in my gimmicks, but with some degree of trepidation. I’m thinking more in terms of a “mop-up” role. I should cite that this North Light-bred has tried the lawn twice earlier in her career; those two tries showed little. Again, I’m inclined to think the best we could expect is a minor award. Yet, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If this longshot wakes up, she could provide value.

11 Laura’s Patriot will start from the extreme outside in this two-turn turf race. That can be disadvantageous as the field will enter that first turn in a blink of an eye. This Patriot Act-bred does not have a ton of early speed, so it is likely that she will have to wend her way through the field to put herself into contention. Oh, this mare is most definitely a turf horse, but she has just that one win in 33 tries on the lawn. Hector Diaz, Jr. for John Toscano, Jr. Frankly, I’m inclined to dismiss her chances.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
Teach

Race Five:

SUMMER BOURBON has been installed as the 2-1 M/L second choice in this OC sprint for New York state-breds. In my opinion, this Ghostzapper-bred gelding could get overbet. Oh, this 6-year old is most capable of hitting the tote, yet I’m not particularly enamored with him as a “win” candidate. This Awesome Again-bred was claimed out of his last; he now resides in a John Toscano, Jr, barn. Toscano is mediocre when it comes to winning 1st off a claim. I get the feeling this gelding will need at least one race for his new connections to get him “up to speed”. Thus, my belief that a minor award, rather than a win, may be in the offing. Kendrick Carmouche is in the irons.

TRIBECCA has been a model of consistency in recent tries. Yet, I believe the M/L favorite is vulnerable. That’s not saying that this Bustin Stones-bred can’t hit the board. It’s just that I find a win bet “iffy”. I would consider “buying insurance”. I’m not of the mind to single this City Zip-bred in multi-race wagers. Manny Franco is in the stirrups for Rudy Rodriguez.

SPEIGHTFUL KITTEN appears better suited for the turf. Yet this Kitten’s Joy-bred has graced the tote in all four of his recent dirt races. However, this Speightstown-bred has been away from the races for over two months. Yet, since her last race, this 5-year bay gelding has turned in a couple “bullet” works. Oh, this gelding can be there; yet I would have preferred a wet track. Linda Rice trains; Junior Alvarado is in the irons.

FIVE STAR BUNT switches to Irad Ortiz, Jr. That rider change could make a significant difference in this Posse-bred’s chances of winning. In this relatively evenly-matched field, it wouldn’t take much to give one horse an edge over another. Linda Rice trains this Silver Deputy-bred.

5 Sicilia Mike has made a racing habit of being “The Best Man,” instead of the groom. This Giralamo-bred gelding has won only twice in 35 lifetime starts; yet he’s finished second 13 times. Thus, a minor award is not out of the question. It should be noted that this gelding’s trainer, Gary Sciacca, is just 6% wins in sprints from a very large sampling. Dylan Davis reprises the ride.

6 Candid Desire could do nothing in the Caixa Eletronica. Yet now this Yes It’s True-bred gelding is in with the kind with whom he can compete. I see this gelding as potential lower-rung “board-hitter”. I suppose the only think that can lead to a trip to the winner’s circle is if a speed duel develops and this gelding is there to pick up the pieces. Eric Cancel is in the irons for trainer Carlos Martin. Depending on your thinking, you might consider this gelding as: “a saver”.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 04-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #6
Teach

Race Six:

1 Prisoner’s Dilemma has never run on the turf (he’s had only one race). I believe the only way this Blame-bred has a chance is if she leaves. Her only race did not show any indication of that. I should note that her trainer, Christophe Clement, does very well with horses making their first appearance on the grass. It should be noted that this filly has been away from the races for over four months. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons.

2 Barton Hall possesses a degree of turf pedigree; yet I hold out little hope for this first-timer hitting the tote. Michelle Nevin trains; Manny Franco is in the irons. Watch the board for any signs.

3 Happy Music is making her first start for trainer John Terranova II. Terranova does well with horses making their turf debut, albeit with a limited sample. Junior Alvarado is in the stirrups.

ANDRETTA is making her first start in over 7 months. Yet this Freud-bred mare has been most competitive at this level. The veteran Joe Bravo handles the reins for trainer Jim Bond. I believe this mare is “a player”.

SUMMER FANTASY has a solid turf pedigree and some decent morning works (I like it that this 3-year old is being prepped from the gate). I don’t quite know what to expect, yet the potential exists. Javier Castellano for Jeremiah Englehart.

6 Tzipi is another distaffer with a decent turf pedigree. This filly’s only pari-mutuel start on the main resulted in a 4th place finish. I believe there is room for improvement as this filly now makes her first grass start. I should note that her trainer, Linda Rice, has just mediocre record when it comes to horses making their first start on the grass. Jose Lezcano has the call. I’ll watch her on the track and on the board.

7 Serious Mischief is another filly with a solid turf pedigree. She’s another first-timer in this large field. Sometimes a first-timer needs a race under their belt; on the other hand, sometimes they don’t. Linda Rice is the trainer. John Velazquez is the pilot.

8 J J Jen is a Mark Hennig first-timer with a mediocre turf pedigree. This Johannesburg-bred did turn in a solid recent morning work, from the gate. I’m inclined to watch, that is unless I see something unusual in betting patterns. I should also note that Hennig is 0-for-28 with horses making their turf debut. Dylan Davis has the call.

GUNBOAT DIPLOMACY is the “mystery” horse. It’s no mystery that this bay filly hasn’t raced in four months. And, when she did race on the main, she hardly “raised a gallop”. Yet, this filly did turn in a recent stellar 3-panels “bullet” work from the gate. This filly’s dam, Queen of Valentine, had 5 winners from 6 starters and 1 turf winner. Eric Cancel is in the irons for Bruce Brown.

10 Tarallucci has a solid turf pedigree. Yet will that translate into a board-hitting, first-time effort? This filly’s trainer, George Weaver, does reasonably well with first-time starters. I’ll be watching this filly on the track and on the board.

11 Bourbon High looks outclassed.

CARALICIOUS could be “the sleeper”. I’m not thinking so much about winning; it has to do more with the completing a gimmick. This Noble Mission-bred will need to get into the flow if this Galileo-bred is to make any kind of impact. Luis Reyes rides for Emron Ibrahim. Ibrahim does very well with 2nd after a claim, albeit from a limited sampling.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Teach

Race Seven:

1 Jacqueline D looks like an also-ran.

2 Offlee Irish might get part. She has faced better. This is her 3rd start off a layoff. Dylan Davis for Jacqueline Falk.

3 Gypsy Mama is dropping 2+ classes. That alone is a factor to take into consideration. Luis Reyes for Dom Schettino. At her best, she might earn a minor award.

4 Itsjustnotourday has had trouble lasting. I have trouble endorsing this Bustin Stones-bred

5 Ma Mo certainly fits in this company. The slight turn back may help. Rajiv Maragh for Bruce Levine. A couple decent morning works bolster confidence. She’s capable of hitting the tote.

6 Ocean Conquest has shown little in recent starts.

SIMONA fits in this company; yet in recent tries she’s been “a money burner”. I see this filly as a contender who’s most certainly capable of hitting the board. She could, under the best of circumstances, get her picture taken. Manny Franco for Rudy Rodriguez.

8 Thinking of Glenn gets Lasix. This filly has faced better. I would be hard pressed to recommend this Empire Maker-bred as a picture taker, yet she might just hit the board… Hector Diaz, Jr. for Richard Metivier.

VIRADIA has faced better, yet there have been some gate issues. If this Pulpit-bred filly breaks alertly she can be “a player”. Much will be determined in the first few jumps. The Hall-of-Famer from Gettysburg, SD, Steve Asmussen, trains.

10 Catania Rose has shown little; yet I consider this this Catienus-bred as “a sleeper” Yes, she’s probably better suited for a wet track. However, she could “mop up” a super.

MY VICTORIA ROSE is making a steep class drop. Her trainer, Jerermiah Englehart, does exceptionally well with horses entered in claiming events. Junior Alvarado is in the irons. This filly, in my opinion, is “a contender”

VOTRE COEUR is a bay mare who is capable of surprising. I know she’ll only 1 for 23, lifetime. Yet I believe this race sets up for her. She has a strong supporting cast in Linda Rice and Irad Ortiz, Jr. for All in the Family Racing.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
Teach

Race Eight:

STYLE AND GRACE broke her maiden on the grass late last November. I believe this Curlin-breed is capable of picking up where she left off. Yes, this filly has been away from the races “…for the longest time.” Yet, I still feel she’s capable of getting her picture taken. Tony Dutrow does well with turf starts. Jose Lezcano has the call.

WESTERN CURL won the only time she raced on the lawn. She broke her maiden in that one last fall at Woodbine. This Curlin-bred has had some solid recent works. I consider her a factor here. Junior Alvarado for trainer Mark Casse.

BEAUTIFUL LOVER won on the grass at GP a little less than two months ago in an MSW one-miler. This filly is most capable of hitting the board. She looks like “a player”. Chad Brown trains. Javier Castellano is in the irons.

4 She’s a Black Belt has tried the turf twice and has come up short on each occasion. This filly’s last three races have been dirt sprints. This Distorted Humor-bred is now stretching out again. This filly’s broodmare, Karate Gal, had 3 winners from 3 starters with one stakes winner and 1 turf winner. Michelle Nevin trains; Johnny V is in the irons.

MULTI STRATEGY has not been seen on the racetrack since early in December of last year. Yet, this Scat Daddy-bred is most capable of hitting the tote. She has one win in three tries on the lawn. Chad Brown trains. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. This filly’s dam, Freeforracing was quite prolific. She had 8 winners from 9 starters and 2 stakes winners and 3 turf winners.

6 Makeme Dream won at first asking on the turf at Tampa Bay Downs in early February. This well-bred turf horse may get tested for class here. A minor award? Eric Cancel for trainer Christophe Clement.

7 Waving Flags looks out of her element here. She’s been running in dirt sprints. Yet this filly’s turf pedigree is acceptable. I admit that it would be a surprise if she graced the tote. Dylan Davis for Brian Lynch.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 04-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
Teach

Race Nine:

1 Bridgetothefuture is an AE who does not impress. I suppose a minor award is possible.

1a Tio Blas is another AE horse. In my opinion, he does not figure into the equation.

2 Deft has never raced on the turf. I find this gelding an unlikely win candidate.

3 Halstaat has a solid turf pedigree. His trainer, Linda Fisher, adds blinkers. This gelding would be a surprise; yet he has faced MSW types on the dirt.

4 Linns Boy would be a complete surprise.

5 Lobe Pioneer has never raced on the turf. In fact, he’s been beaten by weaker on the main. Yet Rob Atras trains and Junior Alvarado is in the irons.

EL FENOMENO has faced better, but that was on the dirt. He now switches to the grass. I will say this: The turf pedigree is there. This gelding has an outside chance of popping at a price.

RED MULE is stretching out a half-panel. I believe this Gary Contessa-trainee is capable of hitting the tote. Kendrick Carmouche has the call.

POWER BOSS has tried the turf three times but has not hit the tote. Yet those races were against MSW company. I believe this colt has a chance. Manny Franco for Gary Contessa.

9 Don Ciccio would appear to be a longshot in this company. I find him hard to recommend.

10 Ink Splotz is a first-timer with a limited turf pedigree.

11 Smidge would appear to be out of his league.

CUBE is “a player”. There is no doubt. He should benefit from his outside starting post and the services of jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. His trainer is Dermot Magner.

13 Amistad has a degree of turf pedigree, yet his trainer Chris Englehart is winlses in the category of 1st race on the grass. Dylan Davis in is in the irons.

14 Pellegrino has never raced on the turf. I find him hard to recommend.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 04-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thought the was tons the best last time w/ a bad trip.

Surprised to see Andy picked him 3rd. And I missed Talking Horses, so I have no idea on specifics, unless he does a pre-race. Cold on the board.

Mannn I don't like situations where I feel clueless... Is he a prime win bet??

I don't bet in these situations, unless I understand 'why'. I'll sit on my hands. If he does win, I have a few Doubles tickets from R1 to cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Race Two:

THERE GOES JOSE is a “plodder” who might just go “all the way”. Frankly, this gelding appears to do his best work on wet-surfaces (a fast track is expected; yet, there were showers in the New York City area early last evening). This gelding’s trainer, Rob Atras, is having an outstanding Aqueduct meet. Atras does exceptionally well with horses entered in dirt races. I’m tending to look at this Chief Seattle-bred as a “board hitter” who might, at his very best, “get all the enchiladas”. Joey Martinez has the call.

2 Call the Cat’s breeding appears to indicate a predilection for the turf. Yet this Giant’s Causeway-bred’s only win came on a fast dirt track against somewhat better. This Gary Sciacca-trainee has shown so little lately; it would take a complete reversal of form… I will say one thing: This gelding has faced better in the past. It’s just that his current form has been so dismal. Kevin Carmona is in the irons.

THERE HE GOES easily won his last against better; this gelding now moves up now to face winners. Yet, this Street Cry-bred has been away from the races for nearly two months. His most recent morning work was decent. This Skip Away-bred looks like “a contendah”. Yet, his hiatus does give cause for concern. Danny Gargan trains – for who else? – Midwest Thoroughbreds. Gargan does well with horses entered in claiming events.

UNION WISE takes a sharp drop down the claiming ladder. His trainer, Jim Ryerson, has given this highly-priced Union Rags (Dixie Union)-bred a 2-month vacation (I assume to try to figure why this grey gelding hasn’t been performing up to his potential). I believe that if they’ve gotten this Tactical Cat-bred straightened out, he’s capable of winning (that is a big “IF”). This grey gelding has, in his favor, turned in a couple solid morning works. Reylu Gutierrez is in the irons. I see this gelding as “a sleeper”.

5 Local Edition has shown little in recent tries. This Lemon Drop Kid-bred appears to do his best running on a wet track. This gelding is cutting back one panel; that may help. So too are the services of Irad Ortiz, Jr. Richard Schosberg trains. A minor award is a possibility.

METAPHORICAL is another gelding who has shown little in his two most recent starts. In his defense, this bay gelding had issues leaving the gate in his last. This Distorted Humor-bred did break his maiden at today’s distance in late November at “The Big A” against better in a race that was taken off the turf. This is this Forty Niner-bred’s third-start off a layoff (I like that handicapping angle). The 4-year old’s trainer, Ray Handal, does well with horses entered in claiming events. Manny Franco has the call. I see this Grand Reward-bred as a potential board-hitter.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

didn't lift a hoof
Old 04-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
Fightingirish51195

Used the 9 in a tri at aqueduct. Not good. Won’t load.

Like the favorite to probably win. The love it’s breeding
Fightingirish51195 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
Fightingirish51195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightingirish51195 View Post
Used the 9 in a tri at aqueduct. Not good. Won’t load.

Like the favorite to probably win. The love it’s breeding
Had all and a all. Couldn’t get another bomb in there with the all unfortunately
Fightingirish51195 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: