Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 04-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: Saturday, April 20

Race One:

Still Krz is my upset try in today’s opener. I fully expect I’m An Ocala Dude to go off as “the chalk”. I watched the replay of Still Krz’s last race, the Caixa Eletronica Stakes (it was not the best of trips). This 7-year old Forestry-bred gelding (he moves up on a wet track) was lightly-bumped from both sides on the backstretch. On the far turn, his jockey, Harry Hernandez, was standing up in the irons as he was steadying this 7-year old gelding. This gelding had to be out in the 8-path. This Old Forester-bred nearly ended up on Rockaway Blvd. Alas and alack. A shorter field. A better jock (Irad Ortiz, Jr.). A 2nd start for a new trainer, Rudy Rodriguez (he part-owns along with Vinny Scuderi). Tis the season… Another reason…for considering Still Krz. Others: , ,

Race Two:

Invest has gone “chalk” in his only two starts (he finished 2nd in both). This bay colt now dons blinkers. His trainer, Linda Rice, is 50% when putting “rogue’s badge” on her charge. Yes, undeniably… Admittedly. Without a doubt, this is a small sample: just 18 times. Yet still… This highly-priced Super Saver (Maria’s Mon)-bred (Wavering Monarch) should relish the off-going. Don’t expect much in return. Manny Franco reprises the ride. I’m not suggesting “bridge-jumping”; yet, if a tune were to come to mind with this colt, it would be Ginger Rogers in “Gold Diggers of 1933”: “We’re In the Money. We’re In the Money. We’ve Got a Lot of What It Takes To Get Along…” Try that in Pig-Latin. Others: , ,

Race Three:

Run for Boston gets my tepid, lukewarm nod in a claiming route that I am handicapping based on my firm belief that this race will be taken off the turf and run on the main. This choice is not for the faint o’ heart. Make no mistake…this 5-year old bay gelding finally broke his maiden on his 19th try! To think that this gelding can make it two-straight…it takes courage! Yet, the conditions are right. This gelding takes to a wet track like a duck takes to water. He’s hit the tote in all four of his wet-track tries. This Broad Brush-bred is “a plodder”. He looks like he can run all day, and I believe he’ll move up considerably on today’s wet track. It’s the Carolina, Puerto Rico jinete, Manny Franco, who is in the irons for trainer Jim Ryerson. One note of caution. Caveat emptor: Ryerson has not won, at least within the last year, with a horse who broke his/her maiden in his last race. Others: , ,

Race Four:

Overheated is my choice in this 25k claimer at a distance of 7 furlongs. This filly is now back in against the kind of company she should be able to compete with. This Forty Niner-bred is turning back one panel off her last stakes effort. This filly should move up on a wet track. Trainer Jeremiah Englehart does an excellent job with horses making their 2nd start under his tutelage. Rajiv Maragh is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Five:

Shadow Rider should benefit from both a wet track and the riding skills of Irad Ortiz, Jr. This Giant’s Causeway-bred 7-year old gelding is trained by Rudy Rodriguez. Rodriguez does well with horses making their 2nd start off a layoff. This Enkendereya-bred should handle the 9-panels distance. Others: , , .

Race Six:

Mount Travers is my pick if the Woodhaven is taken off the turf and contested on the main. My only concern is the distance. This colt has never raced beyond one mile. Yet this Gone West-bred should find the wet track much to his liking. Linda Rice does very well with horses entered in non-graded stakes. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Seven:

Minsky Moment gets my tepid nod in this slated turf route that I suspect will be run on the main at one mile. This Flatter-bred has a solid wet-track pedigree. This 5-year old horse can easily handle the 8-panels distance. He has the services of the "Pride of Mechanicsville, New York," Chad Brown. Brown does very well with beaten favorites. One note of caution: This A.P. Indy-bred failed as the favorite in his last four starts. I would counsel “buying insurance”. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Oh, another caveat emptor: This horse hasn’t raced, as Billy Joel might have sung, “…for the longest time.” Yet, this horse’s most recent morning works have been good. Others: , ,

Race Eight:

Bangle Gal was coming on in the stretch at Fair Grounds in her last start over 2 months ago. Yes, she finished 3rd against weaker in that one. Yet, she was moving “willingly” (DRF). I believe this Emcee-bred moves up on a wet track. She’s also stretching out an additional half-panel; that added distance should help. This Tiger Girl-bred turned in a recent exceptional morning work at Keeneland where she blazed a :47.1 for 4 panels, breezing from the gate. I believe her outside post helps. I also believe she’s capable of outrunning her morning-line odds. Manny Franco is in the irons for trainer Mike Stidham. Stidham does well with horses running in their 2nd career race. Others: , ,

Race Nine:

Thorny Tale is my pick in the finale, the 200K New York Stallion Stakes. This Tale of the Cat-bred gelding was closing in his last. This George Weaver-trainee should move up on a wet track. I suppose the fact 3-year old hasn’t raced in more than three months is a concern. Yet, this City Zip-bred’s most recent morning work was very good. If this chestnut gelding is ready, he could pop. Manny Franco has the call. Others: , , .

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply