Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-28-2021, 03:00 AM   #1
BMustang

Turfway???? Really!!!

Unfortunately, the showcase event of the season, the Jeff Ruby Steaks, became a Murphy's Law event, as the race went off at 6:28pm, and had several stories within the race. The first was when the favorite Tarantino was leaning against the side of his stall when the field was dispatched, causing him to come out like a three corner billiards game, and eliminated from competition.

The second shoe dropped when the stewards allowed the local horse, Like the King to impede the runner-up on two occasions, once knocking him off-balance, and then ruling No Change. This would have been a relatively easy DQ, with little or no controversy. I had no dog in that fight since my horse had been eliminated due to an incompetent start that the connections can't be a bit happy about. My opinion is based on my personal observations after watching the replay numerous times and drawing the same conclusion.

More egg piled up on the Turfway Park management when the race didn't go official until 7:15pm, 47 minutes after the start, causing the last race of the day to go off some thirty minutes past the scheduled post time. The only indication of the ongoing delay was a small Tote Delay notice, and the results showing as Unofficial.

The talking head was embarrassingly bad. The guy is a classless slug, wearing a Tee Shirt and ballcap, broadcasting from his apartment with a bare wall background adorned only by a Turfway Park calendar. Totally Classless!!!!!

Hopefully, Churchill Downs will right the ship and instill a little class back into the racing product in Florence. They were finally awarded some meaningful Derby Points, had the eyes of the racing nation upon them, just preceding the Florida Derby, and then completely embarrass themselves publicly. Boo!!!! .
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #2
westernmassbob

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang View Post
Unfortunately, the showcase event of the season, the Jeff Ruby Steaks, became a Murphy's Law event, as the race went off at 6:28pm, and had several stories within the race. The first was when the favorite Tarantino was leaning against the side of his stall when the field was dispatched, causing him to come out like a three corner billiards game, and eliminated from competition.

The second shoe dropped when the stewards allowed the local horse, Like the King to impede the runner-up on two occasions, once knocking him off-balance, and then ruling No Change. This would have been a relatively easy DQ, with little or no controversy. I had no dog in that fight since my horse had been eliminated due to an incompetent start that the connections can't be a bit happy about. My opinion is based on my personal observations after watching the replay numerous times and drawing the same conclusion.

More egg piled up on the Turfway Park management when the race didn't go official until 7:15pm, 47 minutes after the start, causing the last race of the day to go off some thirty minutes past the scheduled post time. The only indication of the ongoing delay was a small Tote Delay notice, and the results showing as Unofficial.

The talking head was embarrassingly bad. The guy is a classless slug, wearing a Tee Shirt and ballcap, broadcasting from his apartment with a bare wall background adorned only by a Turfway Park calendar. Totally Classless!!!!!

Hopefully, Churchill Downs will right the ship and instill a little class back into the racing product in Florence. They were finally awarded some meaningful Derby Points, had the eyes of the racing nation upon them, just preceding the Florida Derby, and then completely embarrass themselves publicly. Boo!!!! .
Not a fan of the current Turfway Park product. Ever since they demolished the grandstand their cameras are too low making for an unpleasant viewing experience. I thought the current announcer was a temporary fill in but I guess they decided to keep him.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
the little guy

The winner of the race didn't foul anyone. That's a terrible opinion. The fourth horse came out and fouled him in the stretch and in the process put the runner up in mildly tight.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2021, 09:13 AM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

What? No more “Gaining Ground!!”
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
The winner of the race didn't foul anyone. That's a terrible opinion. The fourth horse came out and fouled him in the stretch and in the process put the runner up in mildly tight.
Turfway definitely had some issues, but agree 100% here, this was an easy call not to DQ. I can't figure out why they looked it approximately 800 times before deciding.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2021, 11:26 AM   #6
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

The jock on the 9 moved too soon, went five wide around the far turn, had a tiring horse who came out and slightly bumped with the winner.

Easy no call.
I was wondering what took so long for it to become official.
I bet the 9
Old 03-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
classhandicapper

I watched that replay a bunch of times. The most obvious foul was Hard Rye Guy coming out causing problems. That should clearly not cause the winner to be disqualified.

However, just prior to that the winner and 2nd finisher made mild contact turning for home which also may have contributed to him steadying as Hard Rye Guy was bearing out. You can see the mild contact on the pan, but from the head on it looks like the winner was running straight during that contact anyway. So there should be no DQ. It was that initial contact (that's kind of hard to see unless you are looking for it) before Hard Rye Guy bore out that was probably why they took so long looking at the replays.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-28-2021 at 11:37 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

It was a 'dice-roll' big field with Derby Points on poly, and there was going to be coordination with the other Stakes like the Florida Derby.

TBH I can't comment on the broadcast effort. There's kind of a Gamer/man-cave/Covid 'chic' right now to try to catch social media momentum, so I don't know if that was the intention, (nor did i even see the darn thing until the race)

I passed on a bet, but it sounded in the background like some of the horses from the local Prep, may have contended rather than some of the unproven surface shippers. Of course there was probably a lot of traffic and trips.