Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Saturday, September 23

Race One:

DREAM FEVER gets my nodin this short-field, 6 and ½ panels 50k MC sprint. Frankly, racing fans, there’s not much to go on. Mostly, first-timers. Well, I’ve landed on the aforementioned 5-horse, Dream Fever. Why, you ask? First, I like his jockey, Nik Juarez. The 24 year-old Juarez, a Maryland native, has recently left “the Jersey Shore,” crossed the Hudson River and landed at “Beautiful Belmont Park”. Juarez has impressed me with his rides both at Gulfstream and Monmouth. This chestnut filly’s conditioner, Brian Lynch, “the ‘Aussie bull-rider,” is a most capable conditioner. Yet, most of all, I like this filly’s sire, Midshipman. You don’t have to be from Annapolis to appreciate the fact this this former Bob Baffert trainee won both the Breeder’s Cup Juvenile and Del Mar Futurity. Further, Midshipman has a nearly 20% first-time starter win-rate. Not too shabby! The brood-mare, Forest Patch, had 4 winners from 5 starters. Others: , ,

Race Two:

WARRANTY is my choice in this allowance turf route. Yes, this Artie Schiller-bred has been on the shelf (eight months), as Billy Joel would say: “…for the longest time.” In her last race, in mid-January at GP, this 4 year-old filly went off as the 7-to-5 favorite; yet, she clipped heels in that one and finished off the board. Well, when I smot (A Clockwork Orange argot) this filly’s connections, I start frothing at the mouth like one of Pavlov’s dogs. “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown (leading trainer) Irad Ortiz, Jr. (2nd in jockey standings), and the Klaravich Stables. Well, you get the picture. Solid recent works lead me to believe this El Prado-bred is ready to return to the winner’s circle. Others: , ,

Race Three:

In the Grade III Noble Damsel Stakes to be contested over the distance of one-mile on the turf for a purse of 200k, I’ve landed on: SASSY LITTLE LILA. This 4 year-old bay filly’s pilot is: “Monsieur Finesse” (“Sometimes you need a little Finesse; sometimes you need a lot”), Julien Leparoux. Leparoux, the 34 year-old Senlis, France (25m north of Paris) native, is an accomplished rider (I particularly like him in turf races). Sassy Little Lila, the Brad Cox trainee (Cox has an excellent record with horses entered in turf races), has competed in three Grade I turf events; most recently, the 4-Star Dave. She finished 5th in that one albeit on a yielding surface. Others: , ,

Race Four:

My tepid nod in this 25k claiming sprint, n2L, goes to: CONQUEST EXPRESSO. This 4 year-old Munnings-bred chestnut gelding, like the other entrants, is trying to climb “the lifetime ladder”. For some, that is a gargantuan task. Yet, I believe this Speightstown-bred has a distinct shot of getting his picture taken. Well, this David Donk-trainee tried the lawn in his last. Nada! He hardly raised a gallop. This Medaglia d’Oro-bred now switches to the main (I like the turf-to-dirt angle). I should mention that this gelding’s only win – it came at Woodbine almost two years ago – was an MSW at 7 panels. In that one, at the 6-furlongs mark, this gelding was a head off in a time of 1:09.3. Anything resembling that effort and it’s “Winner’s Circle Time”. Make no mistake; this gelding is taking a precipitous drop. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Five:

In this 6-panels MSW sprint, I’ve selected: COMMANDEERING. This highly-priced Bodemeister-bred bay colt just missed on a muddy track up at “The Spa” a little over one month ago. I believe this Todd Pletcher trainee is “sitting on a win”. Yes, I would have liked to have seen a wet track; yet that, apparently, is not in the cards. Still, I believe that this Empire Maker-bred can grace the winner’s circle. The red-hot jock, Joel Rosario, is in the irons. Oh, this 3 year-old turned in a solid recent 4-panels work. :48.4, breezing. Others: , ,

Race Six:

In this 6-panels allowance turf-sprint on The Inner, I’m looking to the outside. You may have guessed it. I like PORTANDO. Well, this 5 year-old Bertrando-bred has been “bumped” more times than passengers on overbooked flights. But now, alack and alas, this Skywalker-bred has nobody to his right. That means this gelding can set sail, unimpeded, toward the rail and the front of the field. Yes, this bay gelding has been away from the pari-mutuel scene for nearly two months; yet, his trainer, Linda Rice, does an exceptional job with horses that have been “on vacation”. Paco Lopez is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Seven:

DYNA BUCK, a 2 year-old Lemon Drop Kid-bred colt, is my longshot try in this MSW turf route. This first-timer has solid turf pedigree on both “the top” and “the bottom”. The broodmare, Dynair, had 3 winners from 3 starters, including a stakes winner and 3 turf winners. This colt’s trainer, Tom Albertrani, although off to a slow Belmont start, is still, in my opinion, a solid conditioner. This colt’s jockey, Julien Leparoux, is a top-notch turf chauffeur. I believe this colt has as good a chance as any…at a price. Others: , ,

Race Eight:

In this OC turf marathon at 10 panels, my pick is: GAUGUIN. This German-bred 4 year-old chestnut colt with a French artist’s surname was second against similar in his last. Any slight improvement… The Hall of Fame trainer, Bill Mott, trains this Miswaki grandson. I guess my only concern is that this colt has been away from the races for almost two months; yet Mott does reasonably well in that layoff category. Irad Ortiz, Jr. has the call. Others: , ,

Race Nine:

In the one-mile Grade II 300k Kelso, I’m going with SHARP AZTECA. This Jorge Navarro trainee was last seen on the Jersey shore winning the Grade III Monmouth Cup. This 4 year-old Freud-bred has hit the tote in 11 out of 13 lifetime tries. Yes, he’s been away from the races for nearly two months; yet that’s a category that Navarro does very well with. Paco Lopez reprises the ride. Others: , ,

Race Ten:

In the finale, an MSW state-bred turf sprint, I going with , LUTHERAN RAGS. This Christophe Clement trainee broke a bit slow from an inside post, yet this 2 year-old colt demonstrated a mild kick to finish a closing 4th against similar. Well, this colt now draws outside and should be in contention during the early going. If he repeats that closing kick that he showed in his only pari-mutuel start, he should be right there at the wire. Yes, this colt has been away from the races; yet, that is a category that Clement does very well with. Dylan Davis reprises the ride. Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: