Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Clocker

Senate ObamaCare bill is dead

Mitch McConnell has announced that the Senate bill cannot be passed and will be dropped.

Quote:
McConnell said the Senate will now take up the House-passed health care bill and amend it with legislation the Senate supported in 2015 to repeal the 2010 health care law “with a two-year delay to provide for a stable transition period to a patient-centered health care system that gives Americans access to quality, affordable care.”
To coin a phrase, Mitch is kicking the can down the road. He must be hoping that this is close enough to a repeal to keep a Senate majority in the 2018 elections.

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/07/18/collapse-mcconnell-gives-bcra/
Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

It might be time for Trump to unveil his own healthcare reform package. Recall, during the campaign he said his plan "would cover everyone," "it would be cheaper" and passing it would be "easy." Why doesn't he disclose his plan? I wonder if he doesn't have a plan? Nah.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
It might be time for Trump to unveil his own healthcare reform package. Recall, during the campaign he said his plan "would cover everyone," "it would be cheaper" and passing it would be "easy." Why doesn't he disclose his plan? I wonder if he doesn't have a plan? Nah.
He doesn't have a plan. In the campaign, he said that he would replace it with something terrific. Asked what that was, he said that he would hire some great people that knew how to do that.

When the House passed its bill this year, he praised it highly, calling it a "great plan". When the criticisms started rolling in, he said that the House bill was "mean, mean, mean", and hoped that the Senate would come up with something generous, kind and with a heart.

He just wants a bill he can sign and put it up on the scorecard as a win. He doesn't care what is in it. He has said in the past that he would be okay with a single payer system.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
barn32
tmrpots

Trump is also a Christian.

barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
He doesn't have a plan. In the campaign, he said that he would replace it with something terrific. Asked what that was, he said that he would hire some great people that knew how to do that.

When the House passed its bill this year, he praised it highly, calling it a "great plan". When the criticisms started rolling in, he said that the House bill was "mean, mean, mean", and hoped that the Senate would come up with something generous, kind and with a heart.

He just wants a bill he can sign and put it up on the scorecard as a win. He doesn't care what is in it. He has said in the past that he would be okay with a single payer system.
Meanwhile Cult of Trump still thinks he is doing a Great Job.. Note I am a registered Republican and have NEVER voted for a Clinton. I just clearly see that this guy was, is and will always be a CON.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
forced89

Should be a simple solution. (1) Block grant Medicaid to the States. The argument will be about how much and for how long. (2) Allow insurance companies who are offering ACH compliant policies to also offer lower cost stripped down policies. (3) Get rid of the Mandate for not buying insurance. (4) Allow those 60 and up to buy into Medicare or say $3,500 per year. This would last until they are Medicare eligible.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89 View Post
Should be a simple solution. (1) Block grant Medicaid to the States. The argument will be about how much and for how long. (2) Allow insurance companies who are offering ACH compliant policies to also offer lower cost stripped down policies. (3) Get rid of the Mandate for not buying insurance. (4) Allow those 60 and up to buy into Medicare or say $3,500 per year. This would last until they are Medicare eligible.
Ultimately when these under insured / non insured get sick they will be treated at the hospital. The hospital isn't going to turn them away. The hospital will raise prices to makeup for losses treating these people and insurance companies will raise their prices to keep their profit margin. Those of us that prepare and have adequate insurance are the ones to bear the brunt of these cost increases. This is the unfortunate reality.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89 View Post
The bigger the program, the less likely Congress can come up with simple solutions. While the above are issues that should be considered, they should not be considered in a comprehensive bill.

Medicaid should be addressed on its own. There is no reason in the world to wrap it in with private health insurance except as a smoke screen to make it appear that a lot more people are getting "insurance".

The bigger the bill, the less likely anyone in Congress will read or understand it, and the more likely the chance of plugging in a lot of pork. They should abolish ObamaCare (maybe phase it out over a year or two) and then take up those and other issues individually.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #9
reckless
Veteran

American voters remember every campaign promise Trump made ... especially about Health Care.

We don't need to have some of us return here with their snarky anti-Trump comments once again, especially from those who hid in the shadows for a year+ following countless laughable and wrong opinions and theories about Trump in 2015-16 -- all of which were easily dismissed out of hand the first time around.

I know some want another bite at the apple, but most of you bashers have used up what little street cred you once had. It's one thing to back the wrong horse; it's another thing to beat down a dead horse.

So... I'm generously offering another civics and common sense lesson to all the Trump haters, the never Trumpers, the liberal Republicans, Democrats, Progressives, left wing kooks, and most especially, those pseudo conservatives out here in PA-land:

Every Republican in the US Senate, 52 of them, and every Republican in the US House of Representatives, 240 of them, all ran on repealing and replacing Obama Care. They all did so to get elected. Repealing Obama Care was the single definitive issue they've run on for over 6 years now. The GOP majority in both houses are due solely on the Obama Care issue and the GOP promises made to get them elected.

Bash Trump all you'd like but you'd simply be wrong once again. The simple fact of the matter now and forever remains this -- any legislative failure lands at the feet of the Republican Party and not the President of the United States.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
chadk66

There will be a vote for full repeal in a short time. They will never get enough conservatives to vote on any health care bill without a full repeal first. I think Mitch is finally figuring it out.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post

Bash Trump all you'd like but you'd simply be wrong once again. The simple fact of the matter now and forever remains this -- any legislative failure lands at the feet of the Republican Party and not the President of the United States.
Are you saying that Trump is not a member of the Republican Party? Trump ran on repeal and replace also.

ObamaCare would never have become law without strong, proactive support from the Obama White House. While the president himself was on a perpetual speaking tour touting the bill, top White House people, including Valerie Jarrett and the Emanuel brothers, were working behind the scenes, using the carrot and the stick on legislators.

I have seen no evidence that Trump was proactively pushing repeal and reform other than in tweets. If the truth is otherwise, please enlighten us with some facts, not rhetoric.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
There will be a vote for full repeal in a short time. They will never get enough conservatives to vote on any health care bill without a full repeal first. I think Mitch is finally figuring it out.
The GOP was doing this bill under reconciliation, which can be done with a simple majority in the Senate. I don't know, but I would guess that a full repeal would require 60 votes in the Senate.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #13
MutuelClerk

Trump ran as the guy who could make Washington work. Since being elected he's pretty much adopted the Republican mandate. I like some of the the things he's done. But when it comes to health care he is a ass clown. When the House passed the terrible bill they passed he had a big party in the Rose Garden throwing people off health insurance. If the Dems were smart, yeah I know big IF. They will capture that Kodak moment in 2020 if Trump runs. All we've heard for eight years is repeal and replace. Now they can't even repeal. Morons. Most of you wont like this because you put party before country but what needs to be done is lock Rand Paul and Bernie in a room and get a health care plan done.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #14
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The GOP was doing this bill under reconciliation, which can be done with a simple majority in the Senate. I don't know, but I would guess that a full repeal would require 60 votes in the Senate.
I don't think it does. Even if it did they could defund it immediately which would have the same effect. That's why there are the republican holdouts. They ran on repeal and won't let their constituents down this time. Anybody that want's to be re-elected in this climate will screw this up.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #15
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
3 Republican Senators already came out against this approach. It's dead.

Time to pivot. Tax reform/Tax reduction next up and probably more divisive for Republicans than rolling back Medicaid was.

Border Wall? Not sure where the wins are going to come from.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: