Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #16
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
All great reading for this animal lover. I've done the crazy like stopping traffic to get a baby bird out of the road. Animals are wonderful and I could never be without a dog. My pets have brought a lot to my life, and I do envision that heaven for me will be all of my pets greeting me one day.
I stop and get the box turtles out of the road. They can get spooked and retract in their shell and end up sitting ducks. I am a pretty aware driver and living in the woods there are critters all over the place running into the road. So far I only have ran over a box turtle. It was crossing in the shadows and I saw it too late. I had an oncoming logging truck to my left and a row of trees to my right. Roads are tight here I had nowhere to go. I can't believe how many squirrels I have successfully dodged they are better than Barry Sanders at stopping on a dime and changing direction.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #17
Fager Fan
Veteran

The last turtle I stopped to get out of the road was a snapper. I tried picking him up from behind, but that sucker lifted up on his legs, snapped and hissed, and pivoted to face me whichever way I moved. I gave up. He had me beat.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #18
Inner Dirt

Quote:
The last turtle I stopped to get out of the road was a snapper. I tried picking him up from behind, but that sucker lifted up on his legs, snapped and hissed, and pivoted to face me whichever way I moved. I gave up. He had me beat.

They are nasty and look like something from the prehistoric ages. Around here they can get up to about 50 pounds or more and take off a finger. Last one I helped across the road I was fortunate enough to have a snow shovel to use. I just slid her across the road and into a creek bed. If you encounter a snapper on a road they are most likely a female who left the area around water to go lay eggs. With my declining health and reflexes no way am I messing with a snapper bare handed.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 09-19-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #19
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
They are nasty and look like something from the prehistoric ages. Around here they can get up to about 50 pounds or more and take off a finger. Last one I helped across the road I was fortunate enough to have a snow shovel to use. I just slid her across the road and into a creek bed. If you encounter a snapper on a road they are most likely a female who left the area around water to go lay eggs. With my declining health and reflexes no way am I messing with a snapper bare handed.
I sometimes wonder if I'm helping. For all I know, I totally discombobulated the turtle, who now feels lost, and thinks he has to cross the road again.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if I'm helping. For all I know, I totally discombobulated the turtle, who now feels lost, and thinks he has to cross the road again.
I always put the turtles on the side of the road where they were heading. As for animals in distress unfortunately they don't always realize we are trying to help them. My worst situation I had was when my girlfriend's younger sister "chained" her horse to a tree in the backyard. It was a small chain that had sharp edges. The horse got the chain tangled around it's leg and was kicking and had already bloodied itself pretty bad. At the time my young fearless self went out and wrestled with a horse, unwrapping the chain from his leg. I did learn that those skinny looking legs can kick real hard.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #21
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
I always put the turtles on the side of the road where they were heading. As for animals in distress unfortunately they don't always realize we are trying to help them. My worst situation I had was when my girlfriend's younger sister "chained" her horse to a tree in the backyard. It was a small chain that had sharp edges. The horse got the chain tangled around it's leg and was kicking and had already bloodied itself pretty bad. At the time my young fearless self went out and wrestled with a horse, unwrapping the chain from his leg. I did learn that those skinny looking legs can kick real hard.

Oww. Hopefully your sister learned to never chain a horse to a tree. That sure was an accident waiting to happen, as you learned.

This reminds me of an Arab that a friend had who got loose and tried to jump into a paddock with other horses. It was wire fencing, and she didn't clear it, ended up on her back on the ground, kicking like a madman, wrapping and pulling wire tighter and tighter around her legs. It was horrifying to watch but watch was all you could do until she tired herself out. Fortunately the cuts weren't too severe. I decided that day that Arabs were too flighty for my liking.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #22
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Oww. Hopefully your sister learned to never chain a horse to a tree. That sure was an accident waiting to happen, as you learned.

This reminds me of an Arab that a friend had who got loose and tried to jump into a paddock with other horses. It was wire fencing, and she didn't clear it, ended up on her back on the ground, kicking like a madman, wrapping and pulling wire tighter and tighter around her legs. It was horrifying to watch but watch was all you could do until she tired herself out. Fortunately the cuts weren't too severe. I decided that day that Arabs were too flighty for my liking.
The horse I unchained was an Appaloosa about 4 years old. What made things worse (just guessing) he must of been abused by a previous owner who was an adult male. He was gentle around children and grown women but I had to be on guard around him so did any other man. He would try to lure me into dropping my guard pretending to be calm and then a bite or kick attempt would follow. After I saved his tangled butt and nursed his torn up leg back to health he still hated my guts.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #23
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
After I saved his tangled butt and nursed his torn up leg back to health he still hated my guts.
Smart horse
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #24
MutuelClerk

I hope you and the Turtles are Happy Together.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #25
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
I hope you and the Turtles are Happy Together.
You might have to explain that reference to the youngsters...
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #26
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
There's youngsters on a horse racing website???

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #27
MutuelClerk

Just go with the Flo. And Eddie.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
I won't Google and cheat but wasn't that a song from the 60's? I know it is a song but not sure of the year. I was born in 1961 but was watching sports instead of cartoons at 5 and was buying rock albums with my allowance when I was 7. I am 56 but my memories relate more to someone 66.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #29
johnhannibalsmith

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #30
Mulerider

Quote:
I won't Google and cheat but wasn't that a song from the 60's?
It was, indeed, and to prove my lack of good taste in my youth I actually LIKED it...
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: