Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-16-2017, 12:37 AM   #211
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
What was so bad about that? Sounded like he got a little unsure late but he didn't say anything wrong that I heard.
Agreed.

Here's the point I made today. Isn't his layoff kind of unprecedented? I can't recall someone not calling a race for years and then going to track they've never called a race at and calling a top tier meet. So my question is where's the bar? Because everyone is comparing him to people not off the layoff.

Even the biggest Vic hater has to concede he got better as the meet went on.

Btw... both his Oaklawn Handicap and Apple Blossom were flawless.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 12:46 AM   #212
chenoa

He thought thewas the on the front end in deep stretch. BOTCHED!!!
He was too caught up on the deuce.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #213
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
...and then going to track they've never called a race at and calling a top tier meet. So my question is where's the bar?
That is always my question at a new track!
Old 04-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #214
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa View Post
He thought thewas the on the front end in deep stretch. BOTCHED!!!
He was too caught up on the deuce.
This is not accurate, he knew who the 11 was and who the 12 was,he said they're right together, there was no botch, it was a solid call.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 01:58 AM   #215
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle View Post
Agreed.

Here's the point I made today. Isn't his layoff kind of unprecedented? I can't recall someone not calling a race for years and then going to track they've never called a race at and calling a top tier meet. So my question is where's the bar? Because everyone is comparing him to people not off the layoff.

The highlighted part of your post is the only part that I question. Since when is Oaklawn a top tier meet? It is not a Z track, but it sure isn't an A track. Like I said, I get your point, but that part stood out.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 02:23 AM   #216
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
The highlighted part of your post is the only part that I question. Since when is Oaklawn a top tier meet? It is not a Z track, but it sure isn't an A track. Like I said, I get your point, but that part stood out.
The spring meet at Oaklawn is top notch. Full fields. Big cards, and yes, even big races.

While it doesn't hold the number of flashy Graded Stakes races as the supposed "A" tracks do, they damn well hold their own.

When Oaklawn runs, gamblers listen. 12+ horse competitive fields? What more do you want?
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 03:50 AM   #217
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
What was so bad about that? Sounded like he got a little unsure late but he didn't say anything wrong that I heard.
You mean Conepletely mixing up two horses vying for win in the stretch?....yea that's an extremely amateur call in my opinion....actually amateur probly isn't the word for it because even an amateur wouldn't have mixed them up....the guy has totally lost it, I don't get how anyone can say otherwise at this point....the evidence is undeniable, for people to still be defending his consistently sub par calls (and that's putting it politely) is absurd
Mr. Pick 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 04:47 AM   #218
Fred Mertz

I watched and listened about six times to the stretch run.

I don't see or hear what you're complaining about. I hear an animated announcer calling the finish as he (and I) sees it at the end. He normally sounds like an antiseptic doctor on the few race calls I've heard.

You sound like my buddy, grumpy. We went to CD about 8 years ago. He said, "I have to come to Louisville to listen to a foreigner?" We had that British guy back then.

Use the mute button and watch what we all see happening live. I do the same for basketball and football games, unless there is a foul or penalty.

You really are the biggest jerkwad on this board.

+1 demerit for me.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 04:56 AM   #219
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post
I watched and listened about six times to the stretch run.

I don't see or hear what you're complaining about. I hear an animated announcer calling the finish as he (and I) sees it at the end. He normally sounds like an antiseptic doctor on the few race calls I've heard.

You sound like my buddy, grumpy. We went to CD about 8 years ago. He said, "I have to come to Louisville to listen to a foreigner?" We had that British guy back then.

Use the mute button and watch what we all see happening live. I do the same for basketball and football games, unless there is a foul or penalty.

You really are the biggest jerkwad on this board.

+1 demerit for me.
Extreme bias detected...since 20% of your posts are taking shots at me I really can't take anything you say seriously....by the way I'm a very happy person, if anyone is a grump it would probably have to be you
Mr. Pick 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 05:49 AM   #220
Fred Mertz

You should watch NASCAR races on Sundays.

Idiots turn up the volume full blast at the watering hole and think that they're watching something exciting .

Zoom-zoom-zoom.

I go home with a headache from listening.

p.s. Mute button is my best friend. And, yeah, sure you're happy.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #221
Dahoss9698
Veteran

I've only watched Oaklawn on big days this year but no way someone can say with a straight face Vic has done a good job on those days. Friday he seemed out of breath during some races with large fields. Accuracy has not really been there which is the most important thing for an announcer.

Maybe he sure worry more about improving his race calls instead of taking cheap shots at people on twitter?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #222
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle View Post
Agreed.

Vic always made it a point to tell everyone about how long he's been involved in the game. If you're an announcer for decades and have a few years off because no other track would touch you, what time frame would you give him to get his feet back under him?

I'd say a month or two....especially if you were serious about it. Oaklawn Handicap and Apple Blossum were small fields where very little happened.

He's struggled with larger fields with lead changes in the stretch because he's always more interested in getting his signature scream out than being accurate.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #223
whisperlunch

Every time I comment on Vic my post gets deleted. I've often tried to be sarcastic / funny when criticizing him.
I like Vic. I think he's a great tourney player and his calls at Hollywood were fine. But like mentioned earlier oaklawn has consistently large fields and they run 90% 6 furlongs races plus factor in he's older and he's been on a long layoff.
Terry Wallace the old annoucer I really liked however he started slipping pretty bad the last few years. Frank and Pete did fine and Vic's passion makes up for his pauses. I want to needle him about him about his politics but I'll get in trouble. Vic is good. Vic use to frequent here. I suspect he still does under a different name. I hope Vic returns to Hot Springs next year. Props to Goof.
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #224
MonmouthParkJoe

After hearing the call the first thing that popped into my head was this thread
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #225
arw629
First Time Gelding

This topic should be retitled "Trolling Vic Staufer"
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply