Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #256
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Well fellows here I am.

First let's clear some things up.

I did not nor would I ever post under some other name.

That's for others. Funny thing is just about everybody knows who you are.

My calls during the first three weeks of Oaklawn were horrific.

My struggles were in no particular order due to.

A long layoff.

Multitudes of new names and horses.

Loss of confidence.

Lot's and lot's of 12 horse dirt sprints with new sight lines and dark gloomy days.

None of those are excuses. They are explanations.

Bottom line is I should have done better and didn't.

As I became more settled in and comfortable I thought my work improved.

It was at least a representation of what I do. Were they mid-season Gulfstream or Hollywood Park? No.

The people that like the kind of call I make were happy.

Those of you that don't like my style were not going to be pleased regardless if I was at 60-70 or 100%. I get that and am resigned to the fact we can't please everybody.

I did appreciate those of you that took such joy in kicking me down when I was struggling. AND making it very personal. VERY personal. If that made you feel better. Fine. We all have to live with the decisions we make and the words we type.

One of the things I've always prided myself on. Is even with some of my eccentric mistakes I always stepped it up on Graded Stakes. Which is why I was so devastated when I botched the Rebel. I was totally prepared. Was making what I thought was an excellent call to the 1/4 pole. And then just flat out couldn't come up with ****ing Untrapped's name when he was chasing Malagacy. I felt like I wanted to puke for a week and carried it like luggage until Classic Empire crossed the line in the Arkansas Derby.

There was nothing "special" about Ark Derby call. But I thought is was solid and will represent Oaklawn well as we go towards the KY Derby.

I was very happy with my work between the Rebel and The Ark Derby. I got back to feeling very confident and making the type of race calls I enjoy making. Zero posts on this "Vic Sucks" thread from 3/20/17 to 4/15/17 I believe is somewhat compelling that might be true.

All in all my first trip to Oaklawn was very humbling and gratifying all at the same time.

I feel good going forward and am 100% sure I can build on what I learned and re-learned.

I'm very sure I will be better next year and for many years to come.

Thanks to those of you who had my back.

To those of you that said my work was sub-par, especially in the beginning. You were right and I take no offense to your accurate analysis.

As for the Dementia, stroke, horrible person, washed up loser, etc. etc etc......crowd. Hold your head high. Your words were laughingly predictable and tragically sad. No surprise.

VJS
Dear Vic,

I admittedly have been one of your biggest critics on this site. The post you just made showed a lot of character and I truly appreciate that.

As to my criticism, I admit that maybe I went a bit overboard at times. I think I was looking for old Hollywood park vic and when that wasn't what I was hearing at first, I became extremely disgruntled. The fact that you own to your mistakes and shortcomings in the beginning truly shows an ability to be honest, and that's tough to come by these days.

I was critical of your Arkansas derby call as well but when I listened to it a few more times it wasn't like I originally thought. I did think you confused conquest mo money and Malagasy but after talking to a few people I learned that the angle of the announcers booth at oaklawn is quite tricky to call from. This may also explain a few other calls from earlier in the meet.

Regardless I wanted to say that as a former critic, I really appreciated the post. I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours.
Mr. Pick 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #257
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
I thought you were the one who was missing EMD.......Ya still miss him, now that Vic's back?.....I don't think soooo..
LOL....I miss him like I miss that bad case of 'roids I had a while back.

Nice EMD-like groveling there, pick-0. In case you missed it--his first 3 lines were about you.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #258
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
I like when Vic cries about legit criticisms of his poor race calling, yet ignores the fact he takes blind cheap shots at anyone that doesn't kiss up to him.

Now he's cozied up to the lowest of the low. Twitter trolls. Hey, water usually finds its own level.

Maybe that's why most of the industry shuns him.
I get it you dislike him from way back for some reason.

Yet, you follow him on Twitter??

I don't use Twitter but don't you have to go out of your way (besides your time to read their posts) to follow someone and then remember what was tweeted?
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #259
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
LOL....I miss him like I miss that bad case of 'roids I had a while back.

Nice EMD-like groveling there, pick-0. In case you missed it--his first 3 lines were about you.
Mr. 3rd place giving me the business.....Remember Greg, take 3 blue pills and only one yellow, not the other way around.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #260
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post

I don't use Twitter but don't you have to go out of your way (besides your time to read their posts) to follow someone and then remember what was tweeted?
You might be surprised. Twitter is amazing.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #261
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Mr. 3rd place giving me the business.....Remember Greg, take 3 blue pills and only one yellow, not the other way around.
Oh now I'm Mr. 3rd place I would have won if I hadn't choked
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #262
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post

Actually I don't follow him. Here's a thought...mind your business?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #263
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
Oh now I'm Mr. 3rd place I would have won if I hadn't choked
Nah.....You actually called the shot, you can't help it that the horse got scratched...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #264
mountainman

So the sharpest, most knowledgeable guy to ever have posted here has returned. Just as prickly and insecure as ever.

But who in the HISTORY of this board even APPROACHES his resume??

Lay off, guys. He's not wired to handle it, and his matchless acumen has been sorely missed around here.

Last edited by mountainman; 04-21-2017 at 10:11 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #265
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
So the sharpest, most knowledgeable guy to ever have posted here has returned. Just as prickly and insecure as ever.

Lay off, guys. He's not wired to handle it, and his matchless acumen has been sorely missed around here.
True....he does have the resume:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 PM   #266
SandyW

Welcome back Vic, enjoyed your calls no matter what anybody thought.
You are as far as I am concerned one of the premier race callers in the country.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #267
JustRalph
Just another Facist

So glad I stayed out out of this shit show.

Welcome back Vic!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #268
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
Actually I don't follow him. Here's a thought...mind your business?
Well, if we all followed your above suggestion, no one would be posting on here.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #269
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

That first line of yours...as Drake once said, "Oh man, oh man, oh man, not again"
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #270
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
That first line of yours...as Drake once said, "Oh man, oh man, oh man, not again"
Back at ya, dude. I rolled my eyes when I read your post. For reasons we are both aware of. Let's leave it at that, ok?
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply