Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #16
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
I would think in the cold states it would be very popular. Especially, those beer runs....
The cold states have many more small bars and taverns than grocery stores, so for most people closer than a grocery store.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #17
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
The cold states have many more small bars and taverns than grocery stores, so for most people closer than a grocery store.
I live in Nebraska. Within 5 blocks of my house is the grocery store, 2 convenient stores, 4 lawyers, insurance, court house, library, pharmacy, 2 churches and 2 bars. It is not a beer run, I walk calmly to the bar.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #18
thaskalos

ooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Having surrogates shop for me has no appeal to me whatsoever. I like the eyes-on, hands-on approach when I buy my meat, fruits and veggies or anything for that matter that is very date sensitive.

I never thought I would live to see the day when the customer became "too busy" to do his/her own grocery shopping. I ran grocery stores for over 30 years...and I never met a customer who didn't obsess about choosing the freshest and the best items for him/herself.

What exactly are we "too busy" with? Facebook?

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-24-2018 at 07:18 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #19
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
ooo

I never thought I would live to see the day when the customer became "too busy" to do his/her own grocery shopping. I ran grocery stores for over 30 years...and I never met a customer who didn't obsess about choosing the freshest and the best items for him/herself.

]What exactly are we "too busy" with? Facebook?
Nope, Pace Advantage.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
They actually drink cold beer in the winter in cold states?
We up our consumption in the winter. That way we have to get up to pee every hour and we won't freeze up sleeping. Kind of like leaving a facet open a wee bit to keep water trickling out.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #21
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
We up our consumption in the winter. That way we have to get up to pee every hour and we won't freeze up sleeping. Kind of like leaving a facet open a wee bit to keep water trickling out.
And we walk urgently to the store for our Depends.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:21 PM   #22
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Definitely a relationship between cold weather and booze drinking

http://www.lawyershop.com/2012/10/05...sumption-rates

Jay, as you can see, Nebraska ranks tenth in alcohol consumption.Time to step up to the plate and start hoisting a few.Do it for your fellow Cornhuskers, if not yourself.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2018, 11:24 PM   #23
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I walk calmly to the bar.
Most Nebraskans I ever knew called it a beer joint.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:29 PM   #24
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
ooo

What exactly are we "too busy" with? Facebook?
Grocery delivery? It’s a Godsend if you are crippled up. My wife still shops for us, but I can no longer walk around a grocery store. Every week I spend an 1/2 hour or so in my truck outside a grocery store waiting on my wife. We order lots of stuff online though. Especially the heavy stuff. Cat litter n cat food etc.

The worst places I find are Lowe’s or Home Depot. Concrete floors (which is what I believe is under all commercial buildings now) with no tile etc really gets to be hard for me to walk on after 10 minutes or so.

I’m all for delivery of everything I can get. In our business we buy all of our meats via the business.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:26 AM   #25
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Grocery delivery? It’s a Godsend if you are crippled up. My wife still shops for us, but I can no longer walk around a grocery store. Every week I spend an 1/2 hour or so in my truck outside a grocery store waiting on my wife. We order lots of stuff online though. Especially the heavy stuff. Cat litter n cat food etc.

The worst places I find are Lowe’s or Home Depot. Concrete floors (which is what I believe is under all commercial buildings now) with no tile etc really gets to be hard for me to walk on after 10 minutes or so.

I’m all for delivery of everything I can get. In our business we buy all of our meats via the business.
I hear you JustRalph...I buy frozen for freshness thru Schwan's they delivery in my neck of the woods every two weeks, they bring it inside. I use Jet.com for staples they are a subsidary of Walmart, they use UPS for delivery.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #26
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Jet and Chewy

I also use Walmart.com

Since they have started a price war with Amazon.....some good deals can be had.......
Old 01-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #27
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Oh...okay...so it's a plumbing safety net. What do I know? I've been living in Swampland too long.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #28
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Definitely a relationship between cold weather and booze drinking

http://www.lawyershop.com/2012/10/05...sumption-rates

Jay, as you can see, Nebraska ranks tenth in alcohol consumption.Time to step up to the plate and start hoisting a few.Do it for your fellow Cornhuskers, if not yourself.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #29
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I don't think it will become very popular.
what bankers said about ATM's.