Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

NYRA expands partnership with FOX Sports for live racing coverage in 2017

Thought this deserved its own thread...

Quote:
"All of us at FOX Sports are proud to expand our relationship with NYRA and to present more of the best of thoroughbred racing with additional shows from Aqueduct and Belmont," said Michael Mulvihill, executive vice president of research, league operations and strategy for FOX Sports. "Wagering on horse racing is trending up and more races are available on national TV than ever before. We're happy to be part of NYRA's strategy for the continued growth of this great game."
https://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/news/n...r-of-telecasts
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Si2see

In that case please remove my post from the other thread if need be, I really didn't think you wanted a new thread of the same subject

Jason
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
NY Racing Fan

So basically, Tony Allevato (the enemy of many NYC horseplayers) has decided to scrap the local NYRA TV Network in favor of allocating NYRA funds toward this national television initiative with FOX. I guess this is his misguided way of making his impact at his new job with NYRA. By the way, we also found out that his old friend Greg Wolf (announced formally in this article) is the one that is replacing the locally popular Jason Blewitt. Horrible.
NY Racing Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Will do...it's not really the same subject...plus that thread wasn't the appropriate place to bury this news IMO.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Racing Fan View Post
By the way, we also found out that his old friend Greg Wolf (announced formally in this article) is the one that is replacing the locally popular Jason Blewitt. Horrible.
That's one way to view it...but IMO, it would be the entirely wrong way to view it. Unless you're saying Greg Wolf will be on NYRA broadcasts every day they run...which I don't think is going to be the case. He'll only be part of the FOX broadcasts.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
NY Racing Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
That's one way to view it...but IMO, it would be the entirely wrong way to view it. Unless you're saying Greg Wolf will be on NYRA broadcasts every day they run...which I don't think is going to be the case. He'll only be part of the FOX broadcasts.
Perhaps but I'm guessing that the sum of Greg Wolf's income from NYRA for these national broadcasts will be similar to that of Blewitt's annual income that he was receiving from NYRA. To me, that makes it a redistribution of their "talent" budget.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
NY Racing Fan

In regards to Jason Blewitt's departure from NYRA, Steve Haskin opened a mighty large can of worms as to the reason why he was let go. Appears that he is insinuating that Jason did something to force NYRA to fire him.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse...expansion.aspx

Comment section from bottom of article...

Jeffrey Byrnes • 6 minutes ago
Does anyone know the exact reason why Jason Blewitt left NYRA? I didn't a complete reason as to why? Steve?

Bryan Langlois • 21 minutes ago
Agree completely, although absolutely horrible decision to get rid of Jason. Not sure what NYRA was thinking on that one. He was the guy who always exuded what it was like to be a true fan of the sport.

Steve Haskin BH Staff Bryan Langlois • 15 minutes ago
Let's just say NYRA did not initiate this. It went beyond them and was something they had to do.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
In regards to Jason Blewitt's departure from NYRA, Steve Haskin opened a mighty large can of worms as to the reason why he was let go. Appears that he is insinuating that Jason did something to force NYRA to fire him.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse...expansion.aspx

Comment section from bottom of article...

Jeffrey Byrnes • 6 minutes ago
Does anyone know the exact reason why Jason Blewitt left NYRA? I didn't a complete reason as to why? Steve?

Bryan Langlois • 21 minutes ago
Agree completely, although absolutely horrible decision to get rid of Jason. Not sure what NYRA was thinking on that one. He was the guy who always exuded what it was like to be a true fan of the sport.

Let's just say NYRA did not initiate this. It went beyond them and was something they had to do.
Those are some interesting comments (those and the other 4).

Adding nationwide coverage is a massive slap in the face to the loyal older diehards of NYC.

Repulsive is a word that comes to mind but Repulsive doesn't even begin to capture how messed up their decision was to cut the channel locally.

Insanely stupid business decision to say the least.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME View Post
Those are some interesting comments (those and the other 4).

Adding nationwide coverage is a massive slap in the face to the loyal older diehards of NYC.

Repulsive is a word that comes to mind but Repulsive doesn't even begin to capture how messed up their decision was to cut the channel locally.

They act like a few days of coverage on an obscure network like FS2 is some kind of solution for getting rid of the nyra channel....PATHETIC.....and haskin is singing the praises of nyra....almost just as pathetic ....these guys really just don't grasp the real issues apparently
Mr. Pick 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME View Post
Somehow, I doubt this. Businesses aren't in the business of making insanely stupid business decisions. If it turns out to be insanely stupid, you can rest assured the channel will come back.

If it's not insanely stupid, then you can rest assured the channel won't come back.

It's quite simple. And as they said in the Godfather, it's not personal Sonny, it's strictly business.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Could it be that Steve Haskin is our own lovable "Askin Haskin"??..
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick 5 View Post
They act like a few days of coverage on an obscure network like FS2 is some kind of solution for getting rid of the nyra channel....PATHETIC
Except they aren't acting like that at all.

I get it though...you can't help yourselves.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Could it be that Steve Haskin is our own lovable "Askin Haskin"??..
NO! I even asked him to change his screen name, and he balked. I might force the issue now...
Old 03-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Somehow, I doubt this. Businesses aren't in the business of making insanely stupid business decisions. If it turns out to be insanely stupid, you can rest assured the channel will come back.

If it's not insanely stupid, then you can rest assured the channel won't come back.

It's quite simple. And as they said in the Godfather, it's not personal Sonny, it's strictly business.
I'm sure that spotty coverage on FS2 is really gonna bring them the ratings
Mr. Pick 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You're like the gift that keeps on giving.